Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-24-2021, 10:23 AM   #1
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu
Home Depot Shed Windows

I'm posting my reply to a PM here because I couldn't figure out how to add a pic to a PM reply:

The shed windows have worked out just perfect. There has been no condensation between the dual pane tempered glass. I don't remember the exact price but it seems to me that the cost of the four windows I used was less than $500.
Jack

ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 09:25 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 2002
Coachwork: International
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
They look great!
Old 08-17-2022, 08:44 AM   #3

Shed windows

Hi there! We're considering dual pane shed windows for our build. Are you still happy that you went with them? Any issues with glass breaking due to all the vibration? Thanks!
thewanderbusco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 10:12 AM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu
Ten years later and still like new. No leaks, no rattles, no breakage. If you choose to go with shed windows be sure they are tempered glass with an "E" coating. DO NOT use the plastic frame variety--they do not work do to warpage.
Jack
ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 11:13 AM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Coachwork: El Dorado Fiberglass
Chassis: Ford E450
Engine: V10 Gas
Quote:
Originally Posted by thewanderbusco View Post
Hi there! We're considering dual pane shed windows for our build. Are you still happy that you went with them? Any issues with glass breaking due to all the vibration? Thanks!
A quick search indicates the governing laws are state laws, and many states require the glass ('glazing') to conform to their definition of safety glass, generally,
-Windshield
-Windows and Doors including those to the right and left of the driver
-Egress windows (emergency exits)

That is not to say your state disallows regular windows in other places. It may allow them.

Related, tiny Homes are probably exempt much like modular or manufactured homes-not required because they move once, then stay put.

I would stick to RV windows-though I honestly couldn't tell you if some of those are not tempered glass. Tempered glass is marked, so it's pretty easy to identify.

The other part of the equation is the frame and its general strength and longevity. For operable windows, I don't think a vinyl frame will hold up over time.

And, it will look hokey.
Rucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 11:20 AM   #6
Bus Nut

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird Mini-Bird 24'
Chassis: Chevy P30
Engine: Chevy 6.2L Diesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rucker View Post
A quick search indicates the governing laws are state laws, and many states require the glass ('glazing') to conform to their definition of safety glass, generally,
-Windshield
-Windows and Doors including those to the right and left of the driver
-Egress windows (emergency exits)

That is not to say your state disallows regular windows in other places. It may allow them.

Related, tiny Homes are probably exempt much like modular or manufactured homes-not required because they move once, then stay put.

I would stick to RV windows-though I honestly couldn't tell you if some of those are not tempered glass. Tempered glass is marked, so it's pretty easy to identify.

The other part of the equation is the frame and its general strength and longevity. For operable windows, I don't think a vinyl frame will hold up over time.

And, it will look hokey.
Most normal states, for normal vehicles, only require the front (and often front-side) windows to be tempered glass, and the back windows can usually be just about anything. For an RV, and a skoolie especially, I would want to find some kind of dual-pane mostly for the additional insulation and R-value.

Of course, if you live in an insane and over-regulated place like commiefornia or elsewhere on the left coast, you may need $100K and twelve inspections, but a more sane place won't try to parent you like that.
Albatross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 02:57 PM   #7
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Coachwork: 44' Newell Coach
Engine: 8v92T Detroit
Rated Cap: 2 adults and two pigeons
Jack, that install looks great! Nice work!
Old 08-17-2022, 03:07 PM   #8
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Coachwork: El Dorado Fiberglass
Chassis: Ford E450
Engine: V10 Gas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albatross View Post
Most normal states, for normal vehicles, only require the front (and often front-side) windows to be tempered glass, and the back windows can usually be just about anything. For an RV, and a skoolie especially, I would want to find some kind of dual-pane mostly for the additional insulation and R-value.

Of course, if you live in an insane and over-regulated place like commiefornia or elsewhere on the left coast, you may need $100K and twelve inspections, but a more sane place won't try to parent you like that.
Funny, looked to me like this was pretty common (and common-sense) regulation. Didn't actually see anything pop up on California law being unreasonable.

The tempered glass discussion reminds me of the used tire discussion elsewhere in this forum. It may or may not be legal, but is it wise?

I never tire of the California bashing, by the way. Let's try to stay focused on things bus-related.
Rucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 03:27 PM   #9
Bus Nut

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird Mini-Bird 24'
Chassis: Chevy P30
Engine: Chevy 6.2L Diesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rucker View Post
I never tire of the California bashing, by the way. Let's try to stay focused on things bus-related.
Happily...

Round up all the escapees and you'll never hear a peep.
Albatross is offline   Reply With Quote