Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-28-2014, 11:23 AM   #21
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Ward Senator
Chassis: International 3900FC
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 84
Re: Home Sweet House Bus

My wife and I are doing something similar with our bus. (viewtopic.php?f=9&t=464681). We are going to have the small kitchenette, fridge, sink, cmall U-shaped couch, passenger seat, toilet room, shower, qeen size bed, dining area, closets, storage under the bed, freshwater tanks, waste tanks, electrical panel, and so on. What we found is that the floor layout is going to depend on the actual bus you purchase. For us we had to consider where the windows are and being able to attach the wall seperating work area from living area, to the brace between the windows. I had about a dozen various floor plans laid out, that on paper worked great and looked fantastic. After the insulating of the bus we took out the tape measure and chalk, and started to layout the floor plan that I thought was the best...turns out after we laid it out....it SUCKED.....for many reasons. You have to consider for your plumbing (esp drain lines) what lies under the floor where the toilet is going to go (fuel tank?...drive shaft?...floor beam?) same for the shower. (Where the toilet was planned to go was over the fuel tank = not enough clearance for pipe much less the black water tank). having to shift the toilet or shower forward or backward, or from side to side will flip your best laid floor plan upside down. Our bus has a side and rear emergency exit. This allows for seperate entry into the shop area (rear exit door) and still utilize the side door without blocking it for other uses. I would recommend that you look at the flat nose buses, you do get more floor area for the total bus length than you do with a dog nose. Getting used to driving a flat nose takes a little bit, but if you take your time and go slow (after all its a school bus) its pretty easy. Btw here are some measurements: 14 window, 38 ft total length, 32'9" from the back wall to the back of the drivers seat, the shop area will be 9'9" (the wall right between the 4th and 5th window from the back). This will give us approximately 23' for living area, which got crowded very fast.

Westward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 12:10 PM   #22
Mini-Skoolie

Hi westward!
Thanks for the post, I just read your thread and it looks like a good one! I know you are right about the floor plans. Everything will change when I find my bus, I just want to know that things will fit. I also want to put together a good plan so maybe my parents won't disown me when I buy it.
Gypsydreamg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 04:07 PM   #23
Bus Nut

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DT360
Rated Cap: 72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsydreamg
We live on cape cod right now. Our general plan will be to move to New York (park at Parents) to buy the bus and to start the conversion. Thanks for the tips on finding members, maybe we will plan a trip to ct or vt soon!

Does anyone have an opinion on where to buy buses from? It sounds like people have had luck buying from school districts and I think we are going to look into that in ny. My question is do the fees and complications of buying a bus down south out weigh having a bus with less salt damage? Has any one had issues with rusty busses in ny?

Thanks again for all the help, I know my ignorance is showing
We found ours on Craigslist, it was listed by the school district, seems there's quite a few between May and July when school is getting out for the summer.
Old 01-28-2014, 06:18 PM   #24
Bus Crazy

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Crown / Pusher
Engine: 8.3 Cummins

Where are you located?
Stu & Filo. T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 07:24 PM   #25
Mini-Skoolie

We are in South Yarmouth ma right now, but we plan to do our build in Fort Payne Alabama
Eyedeal.ink: Craigslist is my first go to, govdeals.com looks promising because the local school auctions their buses there.
Old 01-29-2014, 02:05 PM   #26
Bus Nut

Quote:
We are in South Yarmouth ma right now, but we plan to do our build in Fort Payne Alabama
Eyedeal.ink: Craigslist is my first go to, govdeals.com looks promising because the local school auctions their buses there.
we tried an online auction at first, they would extend the auction if it was bid within the last 10 sec, it was heart breaking to say the least, we really had our hopes set on one in particular and it ended up going for $4600, out of our price range unfortunately. Looked at ebay and some other sites, thought about flying somewhere and driving it home. Just when we were starting to get a little discouraged we found one 80 miles up the road from a school district. hang in there, you'll find your bus, and when you do it'll be perfect for you.
Old 02-04-2014, 02:04 PM   #27
Mini-Skoolie

Thanks, those are heartwarming words. I'm trying to post a picture of my floor plans. I know everything will change around once I get my bus, but at least now I have an idea of what will fit and what I need to work on. I realize I know very little about plumbing, but even less about the electric. My plan so far is to use electricity for lights, a few appliances, maybe a computer, and plumbing. We were thinking of running outlets along the floor out of simplicity. I assume these can run out to a city hook up if it's available, but what about when boondocking? Do most people use an extra battery bank or a generator? Does any of it tie into the bus's electrical a system?
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 02-04-2014, 02:38 PM   #28
Bus Nut

Quote:
We were thinking of running outlets along the floor out of simplicity. I assume these can run out to a city hook up if it's available, but what about when boondocking? Do most people use an extra battery bank or a generator? Does any of it tie into the bus's electrical a system?
I'm not sure what you mean by "along the floor". When boondocking you'll definitely need a battery bank and something to generate what you use, you don't want to use your starter batteries for anything but starting the motor, they don't like to be used below a certain level, it kills 'em pretty quick if you do, they're designed to start the bus and then get their charge immediately restored by the alternator. You can tie the two systems together so your alternator can charge both or you can use your house batteries to start your bus if needed with one of these: http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/st ... vFOYPY6JEl

Here's a link I found a while back that has some good info on electrical: http://www.rv-dreams.com/rv-electrical.html

As for plumbing, I recommend pex, it's easy to learn, easy to install and won't break when temps drop. No glue or heat needed, you put it together without rings first, when you're satisfied, you take it apart and reassemble with rings and a crimper, piece of cake.
Old 02-04-2014, 08:55 PM   #29
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
I'm not sure what you mean by "along the floor".
Have you ever noticed in technology classrooms or labs the strips of outlets that run along the wall or work tables? We thought if we did a small casing along the base of the side wall and the floor with outlets it would be an easy way to wire the bus. Thanks for the links, much needed reading!
Old 02-05-2014, 06:45 AM   #30
Bus Geek

don't forget a lot of appliances and such have short cords to facilitate kitchen counters (with outlets up high) or tables and such with outlets 16 in above floors(or whatever the measurement is)
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote