Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-18-2012, 10:50 PM   #1

horse hauler?

hi every one, i have a good question for you!!

Do you think it's possible, or a good idea to convert the back of a scoolie into a horse hauler? maybe 2 ou 3 horse "sland" load?? it's something i have in my mine for quite long time and i think you'r the good one to ask some advice

sorry for my english, i come from Québec, Canada, so im a frenchi!!

thank you

pottenza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 07:19 AM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1973
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American
Engine: CAT 1160 V-8 Diesel
Rated Cap: 72
Re: horse hauler?

Certains utilisent le dos de leur autobus pour transporter leur véhicule. Si vous avez trois chevaux arrières là, ce sera probablement le même poids. Je m'inquiéterais juste de eux se déplaçant autour tandis que vous conduisiez l'autobus. Il y a beaucoup d'idées à ce sujet, et je suis sûr que vous recevrez beaucoup de réponses à votre question.

Some people use the back of their bus to haul their vehicle. If you have three horses back there, it will probably be the same weight. I would just worry about them moving around while you were driving the bus.

There are many ideas on this subject, and I am sure that you will receive many replies to your question.
Old 01-19-2012, 07:22 AM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 90
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Transitliner
Engine: 8.3 Cummins

"Horse Vans" used to be quite common and popular, at least in the US. School buses in general are the biggest bargain in the medium to heavy duty truck market as far as I'm concerned. The reinforced body should be more than sturdy enough to attach a divider to so you can keep the four legged passengers in back and not up front, "helping" you drive. Sounds like a great idea to me. Don't let my Mother in law find out about it or she will have me building one for her. One issue could be ceiling height, lots of buses here are only 6' tall, although it is not impossible to find taller ones. I used to have draft horses and 6' would have given them cricks in their necks if they had to ride very far...
Best of luck, Doug
Old 01-19-2012, 10:59 AM   #4

the ceiling heigh is my most concern!!
Old 01-19-2012, 11:00 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Horse trailers are very good for hauling extra heavy stuff when you don't want to get stopped at the scales...
Old 01-21-2012, 05:54 AM   #6
Bus Crazy

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Ward Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/MT643
Rated Cap: 77

I'd be worried what a typical skoolie's granite-stiff rear suspension would do to the horses!
Jarlaxle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 07:34 PM   #7

i already spot one skoolie, she is already transform, the front is a 15' camper with a 14feet slide out!!! and the 15' on the back was a car hauler, so i will have do some modification to put my horse.

ever

for the suspension, with around 5000pounds of horse on the back, the suspension should be a little bit "softer" i hope!!
Old 02-01-2012, 09:59 AM   #8
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/AT545

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottenza
the ceiling heigh is my most concern!!
The highest ceiling you can get on a standard bus is about 76", and these high roofs are not very common on front engine buses. If you need it higher than that, you will have to raise the roof.
viewtopic.php?t=4959
Diesel Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 04:52 PM   #9
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Bookmobile body by Farber
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: Navistar DT466/Alison MT643
Rated Cap: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel Dan
The highest ceiling you can get on a standard bus is about 76", and these high roofs are not very common on front engine buses. If you need it higher than that, you will have to raise the roof.
Or find a used bookmobile!

The ceiling height in my rig is over 7-1/2 feet.
PDBreske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 09:52 PM   #10

the bus is a 1988 ford B7000 with a 7.6diesel, im pretty sure i will have to raise the roof !!
Old 02-02-2012, 08:46 AM   #11
Skoolie

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Ford
Chassis: Carpenter
Engine: 7.8 New Holland

i have a b700 and it runs great! if you have the block heater pluged in over night it will cold start no problem even in -10 weather
MikeyBskunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 05:09 PM   #12

it's just for the summer show season, so i will not have that kind of condition the season start in may and go to the end of september!

does anyone can tell me what i have to check on that kind of bus before buying it?
Old 02-02-2012, 07:26 PM   #13
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottenza
it's just for the summer show season, so i will not have that kind of condition the season start in may and go to the end of september!

does anyone can tell me what i have to check on that kind of bus before buying it?
With out sounding like an azz here,my feelings have always been to ask that question and realize you or someone you trust looks at it.
By that I would say look at rust(hard to fix unless you can cut it out and replace) and make sure it's mechanically sound...look at and smell fluids(you can tell if its bad or been change recent...if you know what to look at/for)
There are so many variables in vehicles...if it was an isuzu suv I could tell you problem areas,the rest is up to how you or someone you trust interpratates it)
For a bus,it's built on a chassi with parts ie:
How is body?can you fix what's wrong?
Engine same as above
Tranny same as above(if tranny was suspect for me..i'd budget 2k for me to replace
Electrical...well if it runs and charges good...if not diagnos problem and budget for fix

There are so many variables....check it out and/or have someone check it out that knows what they are doing
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 11:17 PM   #14
Skoolie

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Ford
Chassis: Carpenter
Engine: 7.8 New Holland

Ya agreed start with the rust. mine had a decent ammount of rust i spent MANY hours on my hands and knees with an angle grider and a welder haha,
-are you going to be replaceing the floors??
-is it a stick shift? mine is, if so make sure you can run through the gears nicely
-Air brakes or hydrulic? I love my air brakes it stops on a dime!
-turbo or non turbo? mine is and you can really feel the power when it spools into action
-1 or 2 piece rims?? i have heard that 2 peice rims can be a pain
-look underneth and check the frame for excessive rust
-Tire condition, i am looking to get some new treads on my bus and they are NOT CHEEP!!!
-And lastly just go with your best knowlege and gut feeling and im sure you will make the rite choice

Mikey
MikeyBskunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 10:28 AM   #15
Bus Crazy

Tires only cost around $350 for a new 11X22.5, which isn't too bad. Good take off's are 100 to 150 here.