Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-24-2013, 08:43 AM   #1
Skoolie

Re: Houston Tailgate Bus

You could paint "GO UH" on the side STOP sign! The paint looks great from here! Nice job.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTex

100MPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 09:22 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15

Another Houstonian Bus Nut, yeah! --- $2K ?...man, what a deal! A well equipped Bird and just the right size. Fantastic find that was worth the long "test drive". Looking forward to see what you do with the interior.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 10:28 AM   #3
Skoolie

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 47

I REALLY dig this bus. Have you thought of doing the roof blue with a big white star?
Motobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 11:36 AM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 2001
Chassis: International Amtran RE
Engine: DT466E/MD3060
Rated Cap: 78

Congrats on the bus. Im always more interested in bus builds in my state than others up north. I think they have to address other issues we dont and vice versa.

The outside looks great. I am planning on doing the same as you did on your first bus.... ie the impliment paint at tsc... but I am planning on mass prep on the outside. Thats where my slave labor pool is going to come in to play with bbq and a keg to get others to break their backs.

Just curious why you went to the outside first since you have done a bus before? I am planning on getting my inside done first then paint the outside as one of the last things or am I going about this wrong?

Good build. I think we are wanting the same kind of use of our buses. Not sure if you will will ever make it to the DFW area but if you do let me know. Id like to see it?
bapos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 04:54 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Oddly enough my wifes father lives in Katy so it may be possible for us to get down that way. I need to get more done of it but I have ran in to a little bit of a hitch. The local registration office here is being somewhat of a rooster on trying to get it retitled. I talked to them a while back said all i need is a weigh slip....insurance...inspection... pics of the inside and outside (EVEN THOUGH ITS NOT FINISHED) and we would be good to go.

Now they want it in a FINISHED state. Which they have no clear definition of. So I am going to get a few things ready. I will probably BORROW a few pics from the site for my inside pics. I am not sure how all of this is going to go down cause its currently titled as a private bus so I will have to insure it as such. Once its retitled will my rate be different? So its kind of a jacked process in all of this but sounds like its the only way I will get it done.

Im going to call GMAC to see if there is some rate change when all that goes down. If you have any experience in it then please let me know.
Old 02-26-2013, 10:55 PM   #6
Skoolie

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Phantom
Chassis: Gillig
Engine: Series 50

BigTex, this is an interesting build. You've done a lot in a very short time. Looks like the engine is nice and dry, which is always a good sign. The length of this bus will make it easy to drive and park. It'll be interesting to see what you do on the inside. Looks like you and your friends will have a great time with it. Since you've been going to the games in a bus for quite a while,is it hard to find a parking spot? Reservations? Are there other skoolies at the games?
LuckyChow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 08:13 AM   #7
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Engine: DT466/AT545

Quote:
Originally Posted by bapos
... I need to get more done of it but I have ran in to a little bit of a hitch. The local registration office here is being somewhat of a rooster on trying to get it retitled...
You would think that the requirements for retitling a bus as motorhome would be consistent across the state. Here in Austin I sailed through the process without a hitch. There were no requirements whatsoever. My bus was still yellow and empty; I just told them to title it as a motorhome. Done.
viewtopic.php?t=4959
Diesel Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 09:10 PM   #8
Bus Nut

Maybe i need to drive to Austin and do it down there?
Old 02-28-2013, 01:43 PM   #9
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Engine: DT466/AT545

Quote:
Who knows - I might have gotten lucky that day??? Maybe my local office is just lax? Maybe if I did it tomorrow they would send me through all kinds of hoops! It's just weird that there is not a state-wide consistency in the rules, or at least enforcement of the rules. But then again, I was deliberately as vague as possible during the whole process so as to not raise any red flags. I avoided mentioning the word "bus". I just called it an "International mumble mumble...title as motorhome, mumble mumble" or something like that... and then did that Jedi thing where you wave your hand in front of their eyes to hypnotize them...
viewtopic.php?t=4959
Diesel Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 02:11 PM   #10
Bus Crazy

Year: 1973
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American
Engine: CAT 1160 V-8 Diesel
Rated Cap: 72

Mine is a Blue Bird Wanderlodge Motorhome, NOT a bus.
Old 02-28-2013, 02:56 PM   #11
Bus Geek

Mine is a Crown MotorLodge
atleast thats what the stickers will say
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 10:31 PM   #12
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel Dan
Quote:
Who knows - I might have gotten lucky that day??? Maybe my local office is just lax? Maybe if I did it tomorrow they would send me through all kinds of hoops! It's just weird that there is not a state-wide consistency in the rules, or at least enforcement of the rules. But then again, I was deliberately as vague as possible during the whole process so as to not raise any red flags. I avoided mentioning the word "bus". I just called it an "International mumble mumble...title as motorhome, mumble mumble" or something like that... and then did that Jedi thing where you wave your hand in front of their eyes to hypnotize them...
I live in Texas as well and I will probably come face to face with this issue too. My thinking is that there is probably a consistent ruling, but an inconsistent interpretation of the rules. That would not be surprising at all, not only here but in other states as well. I baffles me to how two different people can read the same thing and come up with entirely different and conflicting views on what they just read. So, it's probably expected that there would be some flyers out there in interpretation on rules written even slightly broadly.
Old 03-02-2013, 12:32 PM   #13

Year: 1995
Chassis: 3800
Engine: DT408, AT545
Rated Cap: 23 500 gvw

Congrats, the bus looks Bad Ass!

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 05:45 AM   #14
Bus Nut

Bigtex

Question on your insurance then. I assume you got insurance from GMAC as a bus then switched it to a motorhome? I think thats my delima thats sort of holding me back. I have all the exterior pics and can get the other items needed to make the change but like you I may "borrow" some pics of other peoples bus to get pass the Ahole factor.

Let me know Im going to call GMAC and see what they say. Not sure what the price difference will be but Im sure it will be worth the efforts to get it changed
Old 03-05-2013, 07:57 PM   #15
Bus Nut

will do. I was going to call them and see what those differences were going to be since I am only inquiring. When I talked to the title office they said they can do title only but I would have to surrender all plates and tags for the windshield, which i think is kind of BS.

Ill let you guys know how this cluster turns out.
Old 03-15-2013, 06:25 PM   #16
Bus Nut

I talked to GMAC today about insurance. I was just trying to see if there was going to be a price difference in insuring it as a private bus versus a motorhome. To GMAC when doing liability only.... there is no difference in their eyes. I got a quote for 153.00 for 6 months. I didnt think it was too bad to be honest. Not sure what the cost of registering it as a bus versus a motor home will be with the state. So I guess that is my next fight.

Im going to get things lined up to pull the trigger soon. My plan is to get insurance...get it inspected... weight slip....and "borrow" a few pics from here to get past their BS to get the bus transferred in to my name and reclassified as a RV

Hope your build is coming along. Update soon
Old 03-17-2013, 08:15 PM   #17
Bus Nut

its currently registered as a private bus so not sure what it will need, I have my drag racing buddy do all my inspections so not real worried about that part.

Bus is looking good