Old 03-18-2018, 07:32 PM   #11
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 72
One thing to keep in mind is that these prices are going to start going up. THe "good" years of buses for converters ended in 2003 and the older that year gets the fewer buses are left in fleets being retired. At some point we will have bought them all, if not us then exporters or farmers carting migrant workers around or people chopping the roofs off and using them to haul produce or survivalists who just want to bury them in the ground as a shelter or any other weird or wonderful idea people have come up with. You can be a lot picker this year than you will next year.
Old 03-18-2018, 09:47 PM   #12

Year: 2002
Coachwork: American Transportation
Engine: T444E (7.3L)
Rated Cap: 78
I picked up mine locally for $3000 (2002 AmTran with 7.3L and MD3060 Trans with 122K miles. The "dealer" had over 60 buses on his "lot" if you are willing to travel to VA to get one. They can also email a list of their inventory that has the motors and mileage listed. Welcome to M and M Service and Salvage Yard Inc.
Pastor_Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 06:02 AM   #13
Bus Nut

Year: 1986
Coachwork: Gillig
Chassis: Phantom
Engine: Cat 3208/Allison MT643
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pastor_Rob View Post
I picked up mine locally for $3000 (2002 AmTran with 7.3L and MD3060 Trans with 122K miles. The "dealer" had over 60 buses on his "lot" if you are willing to travel to VA to get one. They can also email a list of their inventory that has the motors and mileage listed. Welcome to M and M Service and Salvage Yard Inc.
While I did not buy my bus at M&M, I did buy my Chevy Volt battery pack there. If you zoom in on this pic you will see dozens and dozens of buses... No Gilligs but lots of "other" buses...

Old 03-19-2018, 06:21 AM   #14
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
I take a "total value" look at it.. a $3000 bus with 6 bald tires is going to be less of a value than a $5000 bus with tires that still have 5 years life left in them..

I agree with brokedown that as time goes on there are less and less of the simpler busses out there.. the known problem engines like the VT-365 and Maxxforce 7's came in 2005+ busses. early full on emissions control busses started in 2007. (as with anything the first years are the worst)...

everyone has their preferred area of skill... in my case rebuilding drivetrain components.. engines / trans / electronics. doesnt bother me. but I have zero skills at rust repair, and rust scares me.. so my searches were less drivetrain dependent and more on 'find a good solid body'.

the 'perfect' busses with good bodies and preferred drivetrains bring the most $$, they get attention from everyone.. sometimes auctioneers even set a high reserve on these type busses..

if rust repair is a pain, but you can do it, and cheaply, then perhaps you find a bus that might otherwise scare someone away.. no not a rust bucket but one that may have a few spots here and there (keeps the -perfect bus only- crowd away)...

take your Skill-set and match the bus with it and save some $.
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote