Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-09-2017, 04:38 PM   #21
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
I will find a truck tire place - I think there is one close to me.

Note: I saw your thread and recognized that little bus of yours. I like that one - great size - I actually saw your post on Craigslist and think I asked you about it via email - but ended up with this one!

I will get over there to see it some day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
Any truck tire shop should be able to help you out. Or ask the dealer about that "dangerous shake" at 55 mph?!

Dog Rescuer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 02:13 PM   #22
Bus Nut

Floor

Almost done with the floor - there was a little set back with my "real job" so I had to take two weeks off - but I have put down some nice GRACE Weather (Ice and Rain) guard - Reflectix - and 1/2 ply. Seems to be doing the trick - I just have a little more to do in the front to "sound proof" and insulate a little better - then it should be ready to paint by next week.

I was hoping to get it painted and done for the Florida Meet Up - but I don't think I will be ready.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6565.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	242.1 KB
ID:	13221

Name:	IMG_6572.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	296.0 KB
ID:	13222
Old 04-17-2017, 02:14 PM   #23
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
You're further along than me!
Run what ya brung!
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 02:31 PM   #24
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
Nice job. No cold feet for you.

That hammock looks mighty familiar. Just like my bus last summer. I couldn't sleep through the night in a hammock, but it's a good place to rest.
Old 04-21-2017, 10:06 PM   #25
Almost There

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E 3800 7.3L
Do you have any more pics from the rear heater removal? More importantly the looping process you did and any parts you may have purchased? Can you essentially rip out the whole bottom section on the driver side? I was reading where some mentioned that there is a shut off switch in the engine section too. I have some pics of that, but don't want to start turning knobs in there.

I was going to keep it originally, but today I decided to take it out but it's just sitting there pulled away from the wall at this point (see video) until I find out what to do with the hoses and wires. I have the guy coming out tomorrow to take measurements of the floor for the diamond plating, so that's another reason why I wanted to get it out of there.

https://youtu.be/J4U4LociV7A
Attached Thumbnails
20170421_145110.jpg   20170421_145554.jpg   20170421_145723.jpg   20170421_145741.jpg   20170421_151312.jpg  

Marvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 10:51 PM   #26
Bus Nut

Removing the Rear Heater

That looks like the exact set up the I had. It was a lot easier than I thought it would be.

I took over the covers for the front heater (to the left of the Driver's seat) - the coolant lines from the engine come in from the front left. One line goes into your driver's heater - and comes out of there to the back of the bus... loops back and goes back to the engine. I shut the valves - used claps on the lines I was cutting - and just went from the coolant out line from the driver's heater back to the engine - and didn't need to buy anything - I did buy a new hose clamp.

Name:	IMG_6407.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	349.2 KB
ID:	13311

I can't tell if these pictures help.

Name:	IMG_6395.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	231.3 KB
ID:	13310

I am trying to up load the video I did - I hope that helps. I hope these upload - I am so bad at Youtube uploading stuff...

Anyway. This was me reasoning with myself... It can be done.

This was what I did - I would clamp the hose before cutting it - but otherwise, I really only lost a little coolant - just have a bucket or two handy.

Let me know if that works for you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post
Do you have any more pics from the rear heater removal? More importantly the looping process you did and any parts you may have purchased? Can you essentially rip out the whole bottom section on the driver side? I was reading where some mentioned that there is a shut off switch in the engine section too. I have some pics of that, but don't want to start turning knobs in there.

I was going to keep it originally, but today I decided to take it out but it's just sitting there pulled away from the wall at this point (see video) until I find out what to do with the hoses and wires. I have the guy coming out tomorrow to take measurements of the floor for the diamond plating, so that's another reason why I wanted to get it out of there.

https://youtu.be/J4U4LociV7A
Old 04-21-2017, 11:59 PM   #27
Almost There

This is PERFECT!

I'll be doing that tomorrow afternoon. Thanks so much!
Old 04-22-2017, 06:26 AM   #28
Bus Nut

If you want help - I'd be glad to stop by!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post
This is PERFECT!

I'll be doing that tomorrow afternoon. Thanks so much!
Old 04-22-2017, 08:00 AM   #29
Almost There

I appreciate the offer. I hate to have you come down just for that. Perhaps for another project, but you're always welcome to come by any day/time.

I just realized that the video doesn't show what to do with the wires. Did you see my clip? I have 5 wires laying there. Do I just clip them back and put some electrical tape or wire caps on them, or do they need to be connected together?

I'll PM my number for future reference.
Old 04-22-2017, 10:15 PM   #30
Almost There

Update: I ran the hoses just as you have yours. The video was the key. I also traced the wires and just unclipped them in the fuse panel (outside) and all is well. I ended up removing the whole assembly since I spilled a good amount of fluid and wanted to get the floor spotless. Now off to install 100+ screws
Old 04-27-2017, 03:19 PM   #31
Bus Nut

Bus Maintenance...

I took my Bus into the after market International Dealer in my area. I didn't know there was one here. The head mechanic is a good guy - and they work on the district busses -
There was a leak in the rear hub that I wanted checked - bus also needed new springs - but I wanted the bus to get a solid once over before finishing the conversion.
I need rear tires I was hoping to hold off on that for a few years But at least the front ones are new.

Overall - about $1000 before tires to get a full tune up and repairs - including the rear hub and springs. Not bad.

Anyone have a lead on best place to get 4 okay tires for less that $1000?
Old 04-27-2017, 04:36 PM   #32
Almost There

Year: 1994
Coachwork: Custom
Chassis: Bluebird
Engine: International straight six
Rated Cap: Unknown
try MB tires in town n country .... if your free tonight come see us at skippers we will be vending in the back
Cabinbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 04:49 PM   #33
Bus Nut

Skipper... hmmm...
I am going to try to get there (without the bus) - but I need dinner... so food truck sounds perfect!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabinbus View Post
try MB tires in town n country .... if your free tonight come see us at skippers we will be vending in the back
Old 04-27-2017, 05:13 PM   #34
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog Rescuer View Post
I took my Bus into the after market International Dealer in my area. I didn't know there was one here. The head mechanic is a good guy - and they work on the district busses -
There was a leak in the rear hub that I wanted checked - bus also needed new springs - but I wanted the bus to get a solid once over before finishing the conversion.
I need rear tires I was hoping to hold off on that for a few years But at least the front ones are new.

Overall - about $1000 before tires to get a full tune up and repairs - including the rear hub and springs. Not bad.

Anyone have a lead on best place to get 4 okay tires for less that $1000?
Can get four new ones mounted for that in Apopka
Old 04-27-2017, 06:08 PM   #35
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
you took your driver heater out? or just the rear? on a bluebird you have to loop the hoses to the rear rather than block them off as it is a Series-connected heating system just like mine. if you just block them and not loop them you will have no driver or right-side heat / Defrost. I couldnt get the video to play to see what you did.

-Christopher
cadillackid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 06:40 PM   #36
Bus Nut

I only took out the rear heater - I looped the line going back there - but just did it at the front of the driver's heater. The heater and the defrost seem to work well - hard to tell in Florida...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
you took your driver heater out? or just the rear? on a bluebird you have to loop the hoses to the rear rather than block them off as it is a Series-connected heating system just like mine. if you just block them and not loop them you will have no driver or right-side heat / Defrost. I couldnt get the video to play to see what you did.

-Christopher
Old 04-27-2017, 06:41 PM   #37
Bus Nut

Oh - Can I get them cheaper than that? I am willing to go lower in price - since I am just about at my repair budget for the month!
Quote:
Can get four new ones mounted for that in Apopka
Old 04-27-2017, 06:46 PM   #38
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
I only took out the rear heater - I looped the line going back there - but just did it at the front of the driver's heater. The heater and the defrost seem to work well - hard to tell in Florida...
yep thats the right way to do it!!

LOL up here in Ohio there are mornings I run the heater then have the Air-Conditioner in the afternoon..

heading back to orlando then st pete starting tomorrow so im guessing ill be watching that my new Fan and cooling system work and that my Freon is topped off more than whether my heater works
-Christopher
cadillackid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 07:04 PM   #39
Bus Geek

Quote:
Oh - an I get them cheaper than that? I am willing to go lower in price - since I am just about at my repair budget for the month!
Why go any cheaper??
That's for four NEW tires mounted.
DON'T save $25 and buy retreads, its not worth it. These tires are aged out at 8-10 years anyhow.
Old 04-27-2017, 07:07 PM   #40
Bus Nut

$250 a tire for new ones is not a bad deal- mounted. I a getting the bus painted this weekend. Once that is done - I will look into tires - I may be in contact soon!

Quote:
Why go any cheaper??
That's for four NEW tires mounted.
DON'T save $25 and buy retreads, its not worth it. These tires are aged out at 8-10 years anyhow.

Tags
converting, seat removal