Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-13-2016, 09:47 AM   #1
Bus Crazy

Year: 1989
Coachwork: 1853FC International/Navistar
Chassis: 35' Retired Air Force Ambulance
Engine: DT466, MT643
Rated Cap: 6 souls and a driver
Installing 18' A&E awning

I've got 3 choices... Everything will mount very solid into heavy material and close to right angled joints behind skirt, except rear pole in #2.

Preferred Choice, because entry door will be covered, and with West Coast mirrors I can adjust to see around frame... But, the front upright covers my air cleaner door... But, I can un-clip upright to open air cleaner door, ez fix!

With this choice, I have to build a small wing with ok'ish support for the rear upright, because it breaks at the leading edge of wheelwell. It's doable, but entry door is not covered.

This choice is the simplest, it's centered front and rear of bus, looks aesthetically pleasing... But entry door is not covered. Simple is boring, I'm not a simple person!

Having the entry door covered seems like a pretty big deal to me.
What do you all think?

Old 08-13-2016, 10:08 AM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 34
I like #3 best.

But when I get to that point, I'm going to build a long, short-height box (low profile, just big enough to hold the awning and poles, painted same color as bus) just above the windows. Not a big fan of visible poles, but I know I'm in the minority there.

Entry door not covered may be a problem if it rains, but not too often, right? My door will be in the middle of the body somewhere, so that won't be an issue.

The Busted Flush
plfking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 10:10 AM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

I would want the front door covered. We don't have our skoolie, still dreaming about it, but I would want the door shaded.
Princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 10:19 AM   #4
Bus Crazy

I know a easy fix would be to install a longer awning... But I already have this one, it's new and still rolled in paper tube. I've stored it for several years, waiting for the right application.

I had an insurance claim back in 2010 on my travel trailer.
Old 08-13-2016, 10:29 AM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 1984
Engine: 366 Big block Chevy! :) w/ Stick shift
The man wants the entry way covered, i vote give him what he wants
But in situations like this i do a few things; first is invite guidance (good job!)
Next i sleep on it.
and then sometimes i simply try one way and remind myself if i dont like it i can change it. Doing a poor install job helps when i change my mind, lol as came in handy when i realized my bed placement was all wrong and so with minimal effort i moved it. Like it sooo much better now.

Good luck!

Btw nice score on hanging onto the awning. I have a rug i held onto for 2 years, Imagining one day i might have a place to put it... And then Skoolie arrived
http://m.imgur.com/9Sm2EUb
Carytowncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 10:31 AM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
I'd go #3 and find a mini-awning for the door.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 10:38 AM   #7
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carytowncat View Post
The man wants the entry way covered, i vote give him what he wants
But in situations like this i do a few things; first is invite guidance (good job!)
Next i sleep on it.
and then sometimes i simply try one way and remind myself if i dont like it i can change it. Doing a poor install job helps when i change my mind, lol as came in handy when i realized my bed placement was all wrong and so with minimal effort i moved it. Like it sooo much better now.

Good luck!

Btw nice score on hanging onto the awning. I have a rug i held onto for 2 years, Imagining one day i might have a place to put it... And then Skoolie arrived
Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet
I'm gonna put my bed on those big hospital gurney wheels....
If I'm drivin'... Ain't nobody gonna be sleepin'!
Old 08-13-2016, 11:16 AM   #8
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Champion
Chassis: Ford e-450
Engine: 7.3 Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 14
The problem covering the door is at the angle you'll probably have the awning, it will flap + hit the top of the doors. And you'll have to make sure the doors are closed when opening + closing the awning.
The problem with having it behind the door is when you step out of the door, you'll have to walk AROUND the lower support bar everytime. Guesstimated time to the first time you walk into it-2 seconds.
I have mine covered-I cut the big rubber seals on the door edges at a 45 * angle-so not to have a sharp edge hitting the awning all the time. I also reinforced the area that they do touch with duct tape.
Good luck!

my bus build https://www.skoolie.net/gallery/Skoolies/Sped
sdwarf36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 11:26 AM   #9
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdwarf36 View Post
The problem covering the door is at the angle you'll probably have the awning, it will flap + hit the top of the doors. And you'll have to make sure the doors are closed when opening + closing the awning.
The problem with having it behind the door is when you step out of the door, you'll have to walk AROUND the lower support bar everytime. Guesstimated time to the first time you walk into it-2 seconds.
I have mine covered-I cut the big rubber seals on the door edges at a 45 * angle-so not to have a sharp edge hitting the awning all the time. I also reinforced the area that they do touch with duct tape.
Good luck!
Very familiar with the door corner hitting material.
Had travel trailers for years, they make a roller for corner of door, and also a Teflon/nylon corner piece instead of roller.
I don't care for the "forward heavy" look of an awning on my bus... But, I know with my lifestyle (smoke ONLY outside & sit outside under awning every chance I get) it would be more practical.

Thanks!
Old 08-13-2016, 11:29 AM   #10
Bus Nut

Year: 1986
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford
Engine: Detroit 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
I kind of am in the same debate.
I want my front door covered.
So for now and because I do piping for a living? I salvaged enough 3/4 galvanized piping to create a standalone 10'x20'x10'6 at the bus to 9'6 lean to style and plan on using piping split rings and wall plates to secure it to the bus.
I have a dream of a piece of 6" PVC with end caps under the bus to stick the pieces in when its time to move. For now it's standalone and adjustable as needed to provide shade or rain coverage where needed like a normal shade canopy but built so the tarp will tear off before it breaks a pole?
Jolly Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 02:53 PM   #11
Bus Nut

I say go with #3 and move the door to the middle of the RV. Easy fix.
BusFiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 03:06 PM   #12
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Engine: DT408
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdwarf36 View Post
I totally agree. Had that situation on a travel trailer. Easy to overcome though by moving the top anchor up farther above the door and setting the poles high enough to reduce the angle.

I'm doing #3 on my bus but will be moving the door midships between the wheels.
I am an sojourner in the earth; hide not Your Commandments from me. Psalm 119:19

Here is the patience of the saints; here are the ones keeping the commandments of YAHWEH, and the faith of Yahshua. Rev. 14:12
sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 03:27 PM   #13
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BusFiend View Post
I say go with #3 and move the door to the middle of the RV. Easy fix.
Trust me, that's the one I prefer....

Easy fix my
Old 08-13-2016, 09:10 PM   #14
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu
MM, I don't care what you want---#3 is by far the most eye pleasing. The other two will probably get you excluded from (or thrown out of) most rv parks.

Whatever you decide, be sure to make a lock down device so the roller can't roll once it is rolled up against the bus. Last spring driving against 70 mph wind gusts in the Mojave desert on I 40 in Ca, I watched two S&S motor homes have their awnings ripped off their sides after unfurling in the wind. A few seconds later I heard a noise like a tire tread coming off and hurriedly pulled to the shoulder---it was the awning trying to unwind itself in the wind. It was a close call and I saved the awning but I now have a locking system in place to prevent a repeat episode. Jack

Before

after
ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 10:08 PM   #15
Bus Nut

Year: 1975
Chassis: Gillig
Engine: Cat 3208t/10 speed transmission
Quote:
Originally Posted by ol trunt View Post
MM, I don't care what you want---#3 is by far the most eye pleasing. The other two will probably get you excluded from (or thrown out of) most rv parks.

Whatever you decide, be sure to make a lock down device so the roller can't roll once it is rolled up against the bus. Last spring driving against 70 mph wind gusts in the Mojave desert on I 40 in Ca, I watched two S&S motor homes have their awnings ripped off their sides after unfurling in the wind. A few seconds later I heard a noise like a tire tread coming off and hurriedly pulled to the shoulder---it was the awning trying to unwind itself in the wind. It was a close call and I saved the awning but I now have a locking system in place to prevent a repeat episode. Jack

Before

after
Excellent idea!
Old 10-20-2016, 11:12 PM   #16
Bus Crazy

Bit the bullet and went with #3...
Tonight, I installed the bottom feet with an 18'-5" center.

That was the measurement for the awning poles and endcaps, plus that measurement breaks between #1 & #2 window and #5 & #6 window perfectly and doesn't interfere with my under storage bin.

In the next few days, I'll drill into my horizontal beams and install my top mounts, sealing everything with white butyl rubber.

Then I'll drill 57 holes to pop rivet the top rail holder... (Sealing with more butyl rubber) Still gotta measure where the rolled up awning will lay so it'll have a slight fall to shed water while rolled up.

To further insure the awning won't open while traveling, I'll add stainless steel lashing buckles and lash the poles to the side of the bus with webbed nylon straps with a tension buckle.

Taking it slow, because I don't like punching holes in my exterior skin in the first place

Measure 6 times, drill once
Old 10-20-2016, 11:20 PM   #17
Bus Crazy

I'll install these vertical on each side of the arms, then nylon webbing horizontal

Old 10-21-2016, 08:53 AM   #18
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Looks like a good plan to me...keep the pix coming!
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 12:26 PM   #19
Bus Nut

Are you wanting a full awning above the door? Or is there a chance that you would (or better still, could) add a 2nd "window" awning above the door? I admit I'm not a awnings guru, but that might work.
1olfart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 04:44 PM   #20
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1olfart View Post
Are you wanting a full awning above the door? Or is there a chance that you would (or better still, could) add a 2nd "window" awning above the door? I admit I'm not a awnings guru, but that might work.
I'll just stick with my 18' version... it was left over from an insurance claim on my travel trailer back in 2010, carried it around for several years still sealed new in tube. this way, I won't have to outlay any cash