Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-02-2015, 07:29 PM   #61
Bus Nut

Year: 92
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 5.9L
Rated Cap: 77
if anyone is reading this, can you let me know why my pictures are not loading? Or why i can not upload any as well? I've logged in and out of this account, reset cookies, restarted browser, tried a different browser, restarted PC, and even looked from a different account and still nothing. Any info would help as i have no clue what to do next.

BurlKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 08:36 PM   #62
Bus Nut

Year: 1992
Coachwork: bluebird
Rated Cap: 72
I load all my pics to PHOTOBUCKET and download from there to here. You cannot load any pics you have stored on your PC.
The-Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 05:01 PM   #63
Bus Nut

well damn this sucks. was uploading them straight from PC for 2 months straight, even changed the file path name on my PC by moving them around awhile back and they still appeared on site, must have been on some server that dumped me i guess (never been on a forum before.) not sure, anyways moving on I will be uploading to photobucket now. I will post, a picture post of start to finish from up until that point so everyone new will at least know where it started.
Old 08-03-2015, 05:28 PM   #64
Bus Crazy

Year: 1976
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Supercoach
Engine: Detroit 6-71 Mid-Ship Mounted
Rated Cap: 79 at Birth
Photobucket works good...download your pics there and then copy the location to here and you should be set to go
Old 08-03-2015, 05:47 PM   #65
Bus Nut

Old 08-03-2015, 05:48 PM   #66
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Or start a blog and upload pics there. ;)
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 07:20 PM   #67
Bus Nut

Sorry Burl, now you know. I've been uploading to photobucket for quite some time now and from there I can send them to me to store on my PC if I choose, but actually,, I don't even bother.

Funny thing minds are....I uploaded pictures the other day, and of course, which I usually don't do, I deleted them off my camera. When it came time to organize my folders I went into photobucket to do so.

That's when I realized that I had used Shutterfly to upload them (which is the site I use to use before I found Photobucket. Now I don't know how to get them moved over to photobucket.
Old 08-03-2015, 07:21 PM   #68
Bus Nut

Sorry Burl, now you know. I've been uploading to photobucket for quite some time now and from there I can send them to me to store on my PC if I choose, but actually,, I don't even bother.

Funny thing minds are....I uploaded pictures the other day, and of course, which I usually don't do, I deleted them off my camera. When it came time to organize my folders I went into photobucket to do so.

That's when I realized that I had used Shutterfly to upload them (which is the site I use to use before I found Photobucket. Now I don't know how to get them moved over to photobucket.

I actually can't understand why we can't take a picture off of our PC's and post them here. Does anyone know why??????
Old 08-03-2015, 08:20 PM   #69
Bus Nut

Old 08-03-2015, 09:15 PM   #70
Bus Nut

Progress this weekend was pretty good. in this picture we have removed the "emergency lights" by dot standards, we plan on for sure putting some type of custom glass in the back ones, but as for the front ones possibly just using the new welder to weld them shut or, glass of some kind there as well.

Front section of the bus, not too much rust left to remove.

This is the 11' area behind the wheel well, it is very much now ready for Ospho then Rustoleum of some kind. was wire wheeled and sanded down pretty good, will fill all the seat holes with a good weld, which wont take more than maybe an hour or two to do it quick with this wire feed welder. we also scraped the rubber glue off of the seam of where the chair rail meets the floor then wire wheeled it and will be replaced with the same thing. not to bad looking for a 92' in minnesota.

had to remove some rust of the floor, then further found out the rust was doing some serious damage to the angle iron in back of the wheel well and in front of it. removed both and will pick up a quick replacement at the local metal shop soon.

The rust was heaviest back here as you can see i saved the worst rust part of the floor until last.

sunset at the end of the weekend.
Old 08-04-2015, 09:25 AM   #71
Bus Crazy

Good progress on the bus, and really like the new driver seat
Old 08-04-2015, 04:20 PM   #72
Bus Nut

thanks browncrown, i view your build quite often and very envious of how catchy and clever your name is with your bus. As ours is still a no-name. I love the new seat too, best thing about it was that it was free...and two of them.
Old 08-04-2015, 04:35 PM   #73
Bus Nut

So after visiting the local metal shop, the price was a tad bit more expensive than i had thought as I've never actually purchased metal before, just scrapped it. will be about $27 for a 2x2" angle iron 3/16" thick by 20' which will be to replace the beams by the wheel well that is sitting on top of the two main beams of the chassis and underneath the metal floor. the sheet metal which was $50 for a sheet 6'x8' of 16ga. They do not sell the sheet metal in a smaller size so i will use the leftovers to cover windows i don't need which i will probably actually have to go back and get another one to finish them up. so I'm looking at about $100 worth of metal, which now that i think about it, doesn't seem to be that bad. Was not really expecting this to be a full restoration project but that's what it has become, i do not like to do things half ass. I started this thinking i'd have the bus for maybe 3 years in good condition but it seems as if with all this getting done, will last hopefully 7 years after the projected 1 1/2 year build.
Old 08-04-2015, 05:15 PM   #74
Bus Crazy

You're going to enjoy a full restoration project It's a fun challenge and I think, very rewarding. Looking forward to following along with progress. As for a name...it will hit you when it hits you and will reflect your project
Old 08-04-2015, 05:55 PM   #75
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Chassis: B3800 Short bus
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by BurlKing View Post
So after visiting the local metal shop, the price was a tad bit more expensive than i had thought as I've never actually purchased metal before, just scrapped it. will be about $27 for a 2x2" angle iron 3/16" thick by 20' which will be to replace the beams by the wheel well that is sitting on top of the two main beams of the chassis and underneath the metal floor. the sheet metal which was $50 for a sheet 6'x8' of 16ga. They do not sell the sheet metal in a smaller size so i will use the leftovers to cover windows i don't need which i will probably actually have to go back and get another one to finish them up. so I'm looking at about $100 worth of metal, which now that i think about it, doesn't seem to be that bad. Was not really expecting this to be a full restoration project but that's what it has become, i do not like to do things half ass. I started this thinking i'd have the bus for maybe 3 years in good condition but it seems as if with all this getting done, will last hopefully 7 years after the projected 1 1/2 year build.

You appear to have the same rot that I had in my Thomas. I, too, replaced some floor beams, but I used 2 1/4"x2 1/4"x1/8" square tubing which appeared to be what was used by the factory. That price seems about right, though. It doesn't seem terribly high.. Maybe you're just coming from the 2x4 lumber world?
Old 08-04-2015, 06:47 PM   #76
Bus Nut

It is very hard to find a name that fits yet, i feel like its harder to name a bus than it is a unborn child. (we have no kids)

lol, you are completely right about coming from the lumber world, thats gotta be why. Mine were also square tubes as well, but didnt look like they were put there when it was made in thefactory because they were the only two that were not angle irons and had welds on them as if they had been put there as a replacement sometime. then it got in my head it would be a bad idea to put square tube there because if any moisture, salt, dirt got in to the tube it would stay in there and would accelerate the rust process, which is what i could see happened to the ones i took off. So i figure the rest are all angle irons why not keep it that way.
Old 08-04-2015, 07:10 PM   #77
Bus Crazy

If yours is anything like mine (and I expect it is) the whole floor is made up of width-oriented C-channel pieces, each welded together. From below it looks like an upside down T. Mine wasn't angle. Perhaps you're seeing the end of the C-channel pieces?

I agree that the reason the beams rotted out so fast was because they were holding salt, slush, sand, etc.. It certainly is a design flaw. I made sure all of my ends were capped and welded shut to prevent such a thing from happening again any time soon. I also painted them inside and out and put a 1/8" hole at the bottom of both ends to drain out any water that might somehow make its way in there. I'm confident that the new pieces will outlast the rest of the metal down there .

I think angle could be made to work just fine, though. If you look up and down the bottom of your bus you'll probably see a beam about every 4 feet. Those beams are tied into the side structure, creating a ladder-like structure. Additionally (and I think most importantly), you'll notice that between the frame rails and those beams there is a rubber puck. My guess is that the engineers put the beams under there to support a good chunk of the body weight against the frames, instead of relying entirely on the flanges of the floor pieces. As long as the angle pieces were oriented so that a flat side is down against a rubber puck against the frame I'd guess that you'd have the same strength as a square tube, especially if you're going 3/16" thick! That's some hefty stuff.

The truth is, it probably won't make any noticeable difference in the end. I don't think any of us on here have put enough weight inside to equate to a fully loaded school bus. Personally, I just like the peace of mind of making sure it's equal or better to how the engineers initially intended.
Old 08-04-2015, 07:13 PM   #78
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurlKing View Post
Mine were also square tubes as well, but didnt look like they were put there when it was made in thefactory because they were the only two that were not angle irons and had welds on them as if they had been put there as a replacement sometime.
I just re-read that.. That is strange. Mine are all square tube, but it looked like they were from the factory. It takes a good deal of work to replace them. I can't see a school district tackling it, but who knows! Maybe under the angle iron lie the remains of a rusted out square tube? Or maybe back in '92 they were tinkering with the two options.
Old 08-04-2015, 09:08 PM   #79
Bus Nut

that was a very helpful read! because i had thought that they put 2 angle irons together and flipped them to make the T upside down, now i cant remember and will have to take a closer look. thankfully i haven't bought the metal yet, just got a quote on it at the storefront, as i only had my car. every one did have those two rubber pucks on the frame, the ones i took out had square ones that looked cut by hand as if replaced as well. The bus was driven buy one guy its whole life from what i heard and he took very good care of it and kept it after the bus company said it had a touch of surface rust so out of commission it went, he collected too much stuff, and had to sell it. There are quite a bit of people around here that don't live in town with school buses at their farms, as if they somehow drive for the company but keep the bus themselves? not sure how that works out, never knew a school bus driver.
Old 08-04-2015, 09:10 PM   #80
Bus Nut

and i believe 92' is the year navistar somehow entered international and ours has a mix of some 91' and 92' so it could be tinkering. no clue, but very eager to find info out.