Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-19-2016, 05:48 PM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 2003
Chassis: IC CE
Engine: T444
It R HAZ begun!!!

I bought my bus today . I have it in my work/storage spot already and I am all set!

2003 IC CE 33 pax with lift assist bus

I think T444 engine
It can hit 72, so no retarder to deal with.
153k miles

8600 work hours

Pictures and youtube links to follow

*thanks to everyone who has already helped me in deciding what to buy and what to look for*

Azuleslight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 06:29 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azuleslight View Post
I bought my bus today . I have it in my work/storage spot already and I am all set!

2003 IC CE 33 pax with lift assist bus

I think T444 engine
It can hit 72, so no retarder to deal with.
153k miles

8600 work hours

Pictures and youtube links to follow

*thanks to everyone who has already helped me in deciding what to buy and what to look for*
Sounds good... but a retarder is a wonderful thing, fwiw. I think you mean governor, possibly?
CONGRATS on the bus, you'll be flying past me putting along at 63.

I think you posted some pics pre-purchase, but post up some current ones when you can!
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 06:31 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
That sounds like a nice setup. You got one of those good transmission I take it?
Robin97396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 07:01 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin97396 View Post
That sounds like a nice setup. You got one of those good transmission I take it?

that bus should have a 5 speed allison 2100 in it.. I havent seen any yet that were 6 speed unlocked IC's .

I looked at a couple similar busses and thats what they had..

they drive almost like cars

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 07:30 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Didn't someone say you could get that sixth gear unlocked when by having the transmission recoded? That sounds cool with that much power.

I love the floor space in my FE bus but I don't like the way it drives very much. Since it sits about 99% of the time the floor space wins out. When I bought it I was thinking about using the Alaska ferry system where length of vehicle costs big money. Second thought driving to Alaska sounds fun.
Old 04-19-2016, 08:20 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Quote:
Didn't someone say you could get that sixth gear unlocked when by having the transmission recoded? That sounds cool with that much power.

I love the floor space in my FE bus but I don't like the way it drives very much. Since it sits about 99% of the time the floor space wins out. When I bought it I was thinking about using the Alaska ferry system where length of vehicle costs big money. Second thought driving to Alaska sounds fun.
Ive never driven a Flat-nosed bus (RE or FE).. I sat in the saddle once and played around in a parkinglot and it seemed wierd...

when im down to florida picking up my bus ive been promised to take a couple flat-nose LOOONG busses out just for fun.. I do Love the big open space inside them... though for where I drive the short bus is very much welcomed.. some of the city streets ill be on would be tough in a Big bus

-Christopher
Old 04-19-2016, 08:43 PM   #7
Bus Nut

Chassis: Freight-shaker (Freightliner)
Engine: Cat 3126b 250 HP
Rated Cap: Only 1 seat
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
Ive never driven a Flat-nosed bus (RE or FE).. I sat in the saddle once and played around in a parkinglot and it seemed wierd...

when im down to florida picking up my bus ive been promised to take a couple flat-nose LOOONG busses out just for fun.. I do Love the big open space inside them... though for where I drive the short bus is very much welcomed.. some of the city streets ill be on would be tough in a Big bus

-Christopher
That's why you tow a car or truck behind it!!! park the bus, drive the gas machine!
Docsgsxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 08:58 PM   #8
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docsgsxr View Post
That's why you tow a car or truck behind it!!! park the bus, drive the gas machine!
I suppose I could tow my smart but I really like driving a bus..
Old 04-19-2016, 09:39 PM   #9
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
Sounds good... but a retarder is a wonderful thing, fwiw. I think you mean governor, possibly?
CONGRATS on the bus, you'll be flying past me putting along at 63.

I think you posted some pics pre-purchase, but post up some current ones when you can!
Will do
Old 04-19-2016, 09:42 PM   #10
Bus Geek

Could you charge your smart car from your bus alternator while towing? That's kind of like a towable battery bank.
Old 04-19-2016, 09:59 PM   #11
Skoolie

Quote:
Define "good" lol, my buddy is a CTA driver and he knows the good from the bad and he basically begged me to drive the skoolie again lol. He has all the needed CDL's and extra's to drive the skoolie all legal like lol.

side note i got a temp tag and it will last until july...a bit longer than the 7 days i was initially told lol
Old 04-20-2016, 09:59 AM   #12
Bus Geek

Good, as in not a 4 speed Allison 545. Like the one I have.

That sounds great. I'll be looking forward to the time when you build passes up my build.
Old 04-20-2016, 11:33 AM   #13
Bus Geek

Quote:
Could you charge your smart car from your bus alternator while towing? That's kind of like a towable battery bank.
my smart car is a gasoline model..

charging an EV from mthe bus alternator is still using fuel since it makes the engine work harder.. I do know of someone who made an adapter to charge his nissan Leaf from the solar array on top of his RV.. while driving he uses the engine for his A/C , heat, etc.. and uses solar when parked.. but when driving he tows his Nissan leaf and charges that..

the Leaf also acts as extra House power if he doenst want to run the generator...

-Christopher
Old 04-20-2016, 11:57 AM   #14
Bus Geek

That's pretty cool that someone is already doing that. Just goes to prove once again that if you can imagine it, someone else has probably already done it.
Old 04-20-2016, 03:26 PM   #15
Skoolie

Quote:
Good, as in not a 4 speed Allison 545. Like the one I have.

That sounds great. I'll be looking forward to the time when you build passes up my build.
Maybe, my buddy said it only shifted three times to get to 70 mph. I do have alot of time on my hands. However my limiting factor will be money. I want to come out of this with as little debt as possible.
Old 04-20-2016, 05:32 PM   #16
Bus Geek

That sounds like you have the ever popular 545 then. Take good care of it and you should be fine. You can see where it would be advantageous to have one of those six speed automatics, but that's not worth thinking about unless your current transmission goes bad.
You're doing it the right way. Take your time and let things fall into place. Occasionally you have to stick your neck out financially, but most things come along if you can wait.

I consider myself to be a minimalist, slowly adding an occasional luxury.
Old 04-20-2016, 05:51 PM   #17
Bus Geek

Quote:
That's pretty cool that someone is already doing that. Just goes to prove once again that if you can imagine it, someone else has probably already done it.
im always seemingly getting into building cool technology stuff.. we took the easy way out of building his solar car charger and simply built a board that mimics the L2 EVSE charging protocol to tell the car's charger to only pull a certain number of watts..

the next piece we are working on is makeshift 'regen' braking using a pair of 200 amp alternators that are only engaged and switched on when the brakes are on or the Jake is engaged... while they wont provide much stopping power like regen in a hybrid, they will generate power to charge batteries onboard or go to the electric car battery ...

my design uses a low tension belt and an A/C clutch (with no compressor)to drive those alternators so their belts dont drag ..

whether it actually gains him anything or not who knows but the project is fun to design and see built as well as "bragging" rights to say we did it for the heck of it..

-Christopher
Old 04-20-2016, 06:31 PM   #18
Skoolie

Quote:
That sounds like you have the ever popular 545 then. Take good care of it and you should be fine. You can see where it would be advantageous to have one of those six speed automatics, but that's not worth thinking about unless your current transmission goes bad.
You're doing it the right way. Take your time and let things fall into place. Occasionally you have to stick your neck out financially, but most things come along if you can wait.

I consider myself to be a minimalist, slowly adding an occasional luxury.
Yay!!! Right? Lol
I am just happy the skoolie functions as well as it does for what i paid.

I have been planning for a bit now. I will take my time, but hopefully my time table of 2-4 months to be bare legal minimum rv status.

I am not a minimalist, but according to everyone i know i live like one lol.
Old 04-20-2016, 06:39 PM   #19
Skoolie

Day 1 of actual work, found out alot about my bus and my tools. One, i 1000% need a generator. As i am using miliwakee m18 tools. I get about 4-6 bolts angle grinded out per battery. All my seats have 8 bolts, thus my dilemma. I was considering buying a cheaper utility generator and 2000 watt pure sine inverter. Which i then hope to swap the inverter into my solar array eventually. Sadly, that will need to wait.

Oh things I learned :
Bus mechanics like to use whatever screws are around lol.

DO NOT buy the thinner angle grinder disks.

Buckets are awesome for putting bulk amount of screws.

Wear long sleeve shirts and jeans or work pants even if it is hot lol.

Wear a mask when grinding, as well as all other safety equipment.

I apparently have 3 heaters and 1 is like a legit home radiator in height. I might keep it.

There is nothing quite like getting your first set of seats out.
Old 04-20-2016, 07:59 PM   #20
Bus Nut

Chassis: Freight-shaker (Freightliner)
Engine: Cat 3126b 250 HP
Rated Cap: Only 1 seat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azuleslight View Post
Oh things I learned :

Bus mechanics like to use whatever screws are around lol.
That should read, mechanics in general....... man I am glad my dad taught me to keep a mayonaise jar full of nuts, bolts and whatnot on the shelf!

Glad you're rocking along........ but like the old skoolie saying goes, no pics, no proof!!!
Docsgsxr is offline   Reply With Quote