Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-15-2019, 11:27 AM   #21
Bus Crazy

Year: 1975
Coachwork: Chevy
Chassis: 8 window
Engine: 454 LS7
Rated Cap: 24,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by haz.matt.1960 View Post
Maybe...If you're doing shots of Everclear! [emoji33]
adrenaline is even better - it's non addictive and heals aching joints

Sleddgracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 11:29 AM   #22
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleddgracer View Post
lol - 10 degrees of frost is invigorating

at -10f i cant even wear short sleeves in my bus anymore...
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 11:30 AM   #23
Bus Geek

Quote:

espresso!!!! thats where its at for me!! at -10f espresso becomes a frappucino and I dont like frapps..
Old 05-15-2019, 11:40 AM   #24
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: IH 3800, 8 window
Engine: T444E w/ Spicer 5-speed MT
Rated Cap: I prefer broad-brims hats
Well, sure it is!
Pretty sure adrenaline's freezing point is over -10°
Quote:
Or are we talking Celsius..?
That's practically bare foot weather!
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
espresso!!!! thats where its at for me!! at -10f espresso becomes a frappucino and I dont like frapps..
That's when you need a knife & fork to drink your java.
An icepick might be handy, too...
Old 05-15-2019, 11:51 AM   #25
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by haz.matt.1960 View Post
Well, sure it is!
Pretty sure adrenaline's freezing point is over -10°Or are we talking Celsius..?
That's practically bare foot weather!
.That's when you need a knife & fork to drink your java.
An icepick might be handy, too...
I meant to say 10 degrees of frost
Old 05-15-2019, 12:21 PM   #26
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Chassis: IH 3800, 8 window
Engine: T444E w/ Spicer 5-speed MT
Rated Cap: I prefer broad-brims hats
Ahhhhh...
Quote:
I meant to say 10 degrees of frost
When the world's at least 50 shades of grey.
Old 05-15-2019, 03:50 PM   #27
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
non addictive?
Ever heard of an "adrenaline junkie"?
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 05:04 PM   #28
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
non addictive?

we don't talk about that
Old 05-15-2019, 05:06 PM   #29
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
non addictive?

recovery facilities have been proposed several times for sled dog addicts - lol
Old 05-16-2019, 01:34 AM   #30
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas Built Bus
Chassis: Freightliner FS65
Engine: Caterpillar 3126E Diesel
Rated Cap: 71 Passenger- 30,000 lbs.
... and what about Skoolie junkies? Where is the nearest recovery center for that addiction? [I just want to steer clear! ]
Native is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 07:04 AM   #31
Bus Geek

what about caffeine junkies? i think i can classify as that since im sitting here writing on skoolie sucking down a double espresso...

maybe im a skoolie junkie.. but really im just a Closet-Hotrodder.. in the closet that my busses all still have seats...

Old 05-18-2019, 11:48 AM   #32

Year: 1996
Engine: DT466
Update

Hey guys! All done with the roof panels!! That was a lot of rivets... Nail set tool, chisel, and a hammer.

I tryed drilling them out but the bits kept getting dull after only a few rivets. I had read that I had to keep them from heating up too much so I kept dipping them after every rivet but that didn't seem to do much. I spent about $10 to buy 8 bits: 6 cobalt bits and 2 titanium covered. My rivets needed a 13/64 bit to actually get the heads to come off. In the end with the chisel was just faster although the angle was killing my shoulders. I think I ended using a 1/2 chisel but it felt like it weighed a ton!

The side panels are almost all out. The drilling method worked pretty great on the side panel rivets. They just punch right through. I used the same size bit (13/64).

I only need to take out the two side panels behind the driver seat but to do that I need to remove the emergency window, but for that I need to remove the panel above the window which is sitting behind the seat belt attachment and I don't have a wrench that can reach the two bolts that are holding it...it's all one giant puzzle!

Some questions I have thought about:

Are these the chair rails(in the picture)? So that lip is going to stick out of the wall? I'm thinking way ahead but should I be putting the framing behind the chair rails or how should I work with them rails?

The roof is leaking. There is a big seam where two pieces of the roof meet. From inside the water is coming out from the rib. What should I seal it with? I was reading that I should avoid using silicone because of the constant movement of the pieces and possibly the paint won't stick to it. I'm going to cover the roof with elastomeric roof paint. Should I be leaning about fiber glass? I'll include a picture of the seam.

Should I or do I need to paint the interior walls and roof with anti corrosion paint? I'm planning to use foam insulation and I don't know if it will stick properly with the paint on?

It's been 10 days since we picked up the bus. I've been working on it a couple of hours every night. We have taken the weather into consideration specially once we get further south. There are some items that are not as easy to find around here like a water tank so we're going to have to do some improvising. So far we have found only round barrels and it just won't fit nicely on the inside. Would it be feasible to make a tank out of the roof panels or any other kind of metal. I know places that could weld a water tight cube for us but I don't know if that would be OK to use as a non toxic container.

Very long post! So I will cut it here for now. I dream about buses. So much to think about!!

Thank you all for the encouragement!
Attached Thumbnails
20190514_204320.jpg   20190515_193218.jpg   20190515_205058.jpg   20190517_210201.jpg  
Viernes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 12:04 PM   #33
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International
Rated Cap: 65
We sealed our roof seams with Sikaflex 221. While I was up there, I put a blob over every single rivet too. It took 10 tubes and an afternoon. You could also use 3M Dyntatron 550, which you can buy at Autozone for around $14/tube (they usually only have 1 or 2 tubes on the shelf). Probably many other seam sealers out there, too, including some elastomeric roofing/siding/window sealers at Home Depot.
We built our insulation and wall out to cover the chair rail, and shoved insulation behind that bottom panel.
Old 05-18-2019, 12:17 PM   #34
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viernes View Post
Hey guys! All done with the roof panels!! That was a lot of rivets... Nail set tool, chisel, and a hammer.

I tryed drilling them out but the bits kept getting dull after only a few rivets. I had read that I had to keep them from heating up too much so I kept dipping them after every rivet but that didn't seem to do much. I spent about $10 to buy 8 bits: 6 cobalt bits and 2 titanium covered. My rivets needed a 13/64 bit to actually get the heads to come off. In the end with the chisel was just faster although the angle was killing my shoulders. I think I ended using a 1/2 chisel but it felt like it weighed a ton!

The side panels are almost all out. The drilling method worked pretty great on the side panel rivets. They just punch right through. I used the same size bit (13/64).

I only need to take out the two side panels behind the driver seat but to do that I need to remove the emergency window, but for that I need to remove the panel above the window which is sitting behind the seat belt attachment and I don't have a wrench that can reach the two bolts that are holding it...it's all one giant puzzle!

Some questions I have thought about:

Are these the chair rails(in the picture)? So that lip is going to stick out of the wall? I'm thinking way ahead but should I be putting the framing behind the chair rails or how should I work with them rails?

The roof is leaking. There is a big seam where two pieces of the roof meet. From inside the water is coming out from the rib. What should I seal it with? I was reading that I should avoid using silicone because of the constant movement of the pieces and possibly the paint won't stick to it. I'm going to cover the roof with elastomeric roof paint. Should I be leaning about fiber glass? I'll include a picture of the seam.

Should I or do I need to paint the interior walls and roof with anti corrosion paint? I'm planning to use foam insulation and I don't know if it will stick properly with the paint on?

It's been 10 days since we picked up the bus. I've been working on it a couple of hours every night. We have taken the weather into consideration specially once we get further south. There are some items that are not as easy to find around here like a water tank so we're going to have to do some improvising. So far we have found only round barrels and it just won't fit nicely on the inside. Would it be feasible to make a tank out of the roof panels or any other kind of metal. I know places that could weld a water tight cube for us but I don't know if that would be OK to use as a non toxic container.

Very long post! So I will cut it here for now. I dream about buses. So much to think about!!

Thank you all for the encouragement!

Old 07-18-2019, 10:38 PM   #35

Making progress

Made some progress! It's been raining all the time though...

Sealed all the seams on the roof with some of that Sikaflex stuff. Great tip it worked perfectly!

Got some new batteries for the bus. It was making a terrifying sound when I tried to started. Finally fixed the exterior lights and removed excess wires.

Cleaned and sealed all the windows with more sikaflex. Covered up some windows with cutouts from the roof panels. Relocated one of the emergency windows to be by the beds. Fixed the emergency door gasket. Sealed all the holes and seams on the floor.

Removed roof hatch and attempted to make a venting skylight. It needs work...

I'm so many shades darker and our baby has a cold so soon we are all going to have colds!
Attached Thumbnails
20190603_111156.jpg   20190603_132513.jpg   20190603_143801.jpg   20190524_165736.jpg   20190525_143522.jpg  

20190619_153455.jpg   20190718_172352.jpg   20190711_101500.jpg   20190718_095945.jpg  
Viernes is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
build thread, conversion