Old 10-11-2013, 11:59 AM   #71
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Champion
Chassis: Ford e-450
Engine: 7.3 Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 14
Re: Jacuzzi bus - a tribute

Good luck! And remember-6am is too early to start saying "well its got to be noon somewheres."

my bus build http://www.skoolie.net/gallery/Skoolies/Sped
sdwarf36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 05:43 PM   #72
Mini-Skoolie

installed the 8D battery.

wired up the inverter. attached the pump and heater to the inverter and we overloaded it. individually the pump and heater were both overloading it. It is a 3k continous 6k max while my generator is a 3k continous 4k max that runs both of them just fine.

We used about 4 feet of 8 gauge wire to go from the inverter to the battery. I'm guessing the problem is that the inverter cant draw enough power through the 8 gauge. I will have to pick up some zero gauge and try that. Its a bummer because I was hoping to not have to run the genny the entire time in the tailgate lot.

At least it will run our LED lights and a space heater or two.
whitey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 08:47 PM   #73
Bus Geek

Good luck tomorrow!

Here is some electrical math to ponder...

According to this link: you need at a minimum 00 gauge cable, possibly 000.

http://www.powerstream.com/Wire_Size.htm

3000 watts at 80% efficiency equals about 250 amps @13.6 volts.

By comparison, a 100 amp alternator makes less than 1,400 watts at max engine rpm.

It is difficult to run high power devices with a 12 volt alternator.

I ended up taking steps to reduce power consumption in my buses and purchasing a Honda eu2000 ultra quiet and fuel efficient generator.

In the beginning, when I was still using high power jacuzzi pumps, I did stumble on a trick to get 220 volts using two separate 110 volt extension cords and regular outlets. But it sounds like your jacuzzi is only 110 volts?
Old 10-12-2013, 05:55 AM   #74
Site Team

Yup,no where even close on wire size
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 11:34 AM   #75
Mini-Skoolie

Weekend was a blast. At one point we had 8 people in the tub! Sorry I don't have any crazy pictures or the time lapse video I promised, they ended up not allowing us into the main tailgate area. Long story short, the head of parking said it was too much of a liability to let the hot tub party bus into the field where thousands of drunk college kids were partying. We got into a bit of an argument because he let a flat bed with a giant hammock on it in, apparently we have different views on what is safe. Maybe next year

We got put in a different lot where most of the families and alumni were. It was still fun and people still loved the bus. Some people even wanted to rent it out. Lapeer, you were spot on that driving around with people in the tub reduces spillage. I drove the bus about an hour from the college to a house party with two of our friends in the tub. One of them fell alseep the instant we left the college and woke up an hour away when we arrived, hows that for a hot tub time machine

I want to rewire the inverter and build a second tier of decking. The second tier of decking is going to go up and over the 55 gallon drums, completely hiding them (removable top to allow access) and providing a place for people to sit and just dip their feet in the tub. I am probably going to go with 000 gauge wire to be safe, ill check with the salespeople because electrical isn't my strong point. I'm hoping to do both before I take the bus to a company event this weekend.

Next project will be the plate heat exchanger. I wish I would have done it before I built the frame around the tub, now we have to work around the entire frame to plumb it in.

edit- yeah the pump and heater are both 110v
Old 10-26-2013, 11:28 PM   #76
Bus Geek

Where are these photos we were promised? Lol
Old 10-27-2013, 09:57 AM   #77
Mini-Skoolie

I got some great ones last night. I just have to find my cell phone first. I've got it narrowed down to somewhere in the 1800 sq ft house...