Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-02-2011, 03:24 PM   #1
Bus Geek

Jacuzzi Bus VI

Well, i have yet to purchase the bus, but have made the decision to do so.

The goal: Burningman 2012.

I want a flat front end, forward control bus. Perhaps a Bluebird TC2000, or newer equivalent. Highway gears and fuel efficient powertrain with lockup torque converter is a must. I do not know much about newer computer controlled engines, but my guess is that they are more efficient than their mechanically injected counterparts.

I will then do some minor mpg mods. ie: bumper skirt, replace mirrors with camera's, replace fluids with synthetic, etc....I would like to attain 12mpg @ 60 mph.

Wish me luck!

ps, i am going to sell my current shuttle bus to fund the new project.

Old 09-03-2011, 09:50 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72
Re: Jacuzzi Bus VI

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapeer20m
Well, i have yet to purchase the bus, but have made the decision to do so.
I do not know much about newer computer controlled engines, but my guess is that they are more efficient than their mechanically injected counterparts.
First off I'm a Cummins guy. The only other thing I will drive is the international 466, and that's only if someone other than me is maintaining it.

Sorry to bearer the bad news, but the newer computer controlled engines will make less fuel mileage than the old ones. As they get more power out of them, that power has to come from somewhere. Also the more power you use, the more fuel you burn.

Look at the history of the Cummins engines in the dodge trucks starting in 89 to now. My old 91 made 25 to 30 mpg. Then they added a computer in 94, and upped the power, fuel mileage dropped 20% to 30%. Now I drive a 2003 Dodge Cummins and with out the economy chip, it was getting only 10mpg stock empty, and 4mpg loaded at 25,000 gross truck and trailer. Add the chip and it's back at 14mpg empty, and 8 to 10mpg loaded.

Where you will get the advantage with the newer stuff is the locking torque converter in the newer Allison Auto's. Should save you a bit over the non locking. I have no experience with the big auto's yet as I only have standard transmissions.

I liked your first build, I'll be watching this one.

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 03:41 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

I'm a long-time burner too. I've seen at least one of your previous hot tub busses years ago on the playa. We've never met that I can remember but you might recognize my "Land Yacht" mutant vehicle.
If you make it to the '12 burn and if I make it, (big "if" but bigger "hope"!) it'll be me cruising up in a 25' cabin cruiser to say hi and check it out! You can take my boat out on the playa if you want also, I get tired of always driving!
I haven't got a bus but I keep looking...
Joe Monstermaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 09:57 AM   #4
Bus Crazy

i look forward to this build!!
Stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 06:16 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International
Engine: 7.3 diesel
Rated Cap: 14

my only experience with a 1998.5 transhuttle/tc1000 5.9 cummins is not the best with the electric crap on it. The injector pump seems to last at least 50000 miles than it is bonus miles after that. The electronic dash on them can also be a headache worse than a international dash. If it were me looking for a tc2000 I'd look for something 1997 and older without the electric stuff.
I will also add that on the 98.5 bus I was able to get 12mpg going 45mph and keeping my foot light on the go from stop. other things it had is a 3.54 rear end and with a flat floor tires were 265/75/19.5.

That bus is for sale with a open price but it has the dash problem and has not ran in over 2 years now due to a electric short in the wiring that will drain the battery down along with a single broken leaf in one of the rear springs. it is also only a 26 foot bus with transit style windows.
wmah is offline   Reply With Quote