Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-09-2009, 07:01 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1987
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: Chevrolet B-60
Engine: 366 Gas
Rated Cap: 54
Jared's Wayne Chevy

Hi everyone!
I've loved buses since the day I rode my first one in Kindergarden (1983 GMC Ward). Anyway, I've lurked on here for many years and have seen some awesome stuff so I thought I'd add to it with my newly purchased 1987 Wayne Chevy. Basically, this bus was from my district and I rode on many of its sister buses in the fleet. I always loved the Wayne/Chevy look and rode them for about 10 years of my life. The 87 Waynes were all retired in 1999 and I've been kicking myself for the past 10 years for not picking one up when I had the chance. Well, I ran across this one in DC not too long ago and sort of convinced the guy to sell it to me. Anyway he told me for $2000 I can have it. It has a new exhaust, battery and a few other goodies.

At first I was dead set on restoring back to original condition but it seems that it may be impossible to register it and insure it for a reasonable rate in Maryland. I've read every post in the Registration section of this forum so I'm a little put off. I am starting to entertain the idea of converting it tastefully and its actually getting quite excited to start. But regardless, does anyone know anything about Maryland requirements for both the "bus" route and the "rv conversion" route? Where or who do I contact for this?

Thanks so much in advanced!!!!

Attached Thumbnails
1987 BaltimoreCo Wayne Chevy 1 sm.jpg   1987 BaltimoreCo Wayne Chevy 2 sm.jpg  

jaredg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 11:30 AM   #2
Mini-Skoolie

Re: Jared's Wayne Chevy

Ok so not many people from Maryland on here. Thats ok.

So I got my bus insured today through GMAC (which I thank some of you for since some of the threads on this board were why I called them) for $420/6 months which I think is rather good considering its classified as a private not for hire but (not an RV). Now I just gotta go down to get the title and bill of sale from the seller, take it to the MD DMV down the street and get it registered/temp tags. Any tips?
Old 01-27-2009, 12:40 PM   #3
Skoolie

Year: 1991
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: 6.2 liter diesel
Rated Cap: 24

Welcome, Jared!

Don't let the lack of response here discourage you... The laws all vary by state and even inside a particular state there may be much confusion. It's hard to know the answers to registration questions.

Let us know what you find out and good luck with the bus!

-Ray
Old 01-28-2009, 11:29 AM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray_WA
Welcome, Jared!

Don't let the lack of response here discourage you... The laws all vary by state and even inside a particular state there may be much confusion. It's hard to know the answers to registration questions.

Let us know what you find out and good luck with the bus!

-Ray
Thanks guys! I am really excited about this! I should be going to get it either tomorrow or Monday. I'll let you know how it turns out.
Old 01-30-2009, 05:29 AM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

My trip to the DMV went like this yesterday:

-Got there and the lovely (sacrasm implied) lady behind the first counter almost threw me out because the bill of sale was not on a company letterhead (being that I was buying it from a company)

-After what felt like a minute of awkward silence, she gave me a number and let me through but was real bitter about it and couldnt reassure me that I was not going to get thrown out by the next guy.

-My number was called and the next guy just blatanly suggest to register it as a "Multi-Purpose Vehicle".

-The only thing that has me worried is that for some reason the title shows 4500lbs as its GVW when that is obviously wrong. My registration certificate shows +3700lbs on it.

-So now I just have to get it inspected in the next month. I am assuming I should remove the control box for the warning lights and paint them black at this point? I am also not 100% sure about my state and its policy with the yellow paint.
Old 01-31-2009, 06:23 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Thanks guys for your help.

Next problem: It seems to be missing the entire air cleaner assembly. Anyone know where to get one?

Old 02-02-2009, 05:34 PM   #7
Bus Crazy

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Ward Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/MT643
Rated Cap: 77

That's a Chevy 366 gasser, not an International.

But any big-truck yard should have one...doesn't need to be a bus, any medium-duty truck with a 366 & a carb should use the same one.
Jarlaxle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 05:17 AM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

So I really want to swap out the cast spoke rims for alcoa aluminums, is there a way to do this?
Old 03-17-2009, 11:46 AM   #9

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Midbus
Chassis: Short bus!
Engine: Chevy
Rated Cap: 12

Hello Jared and others...

I'm in Mt. Airy, Maryland and just got a short bus... going through the same exciting registration process as you did.

Did you have to paint it non-yellow?

Did you leave any of the top/roof brake lights on?

- CarlosFlys
CarlosFlys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 10:28 AM   #10
Mini-Skoolie

Well, I wound up registering my bus as a "historic" vehicle being that it is over 20 years. This free's me from any inspections etc. As for the yellow paint and warning lamps, I havent done anything with them yet. I truly have no clue if Maryland is one of those states that cares about that (?)

What is your plans for your bus? Since its a smaller van cutaway i'd imagine registering should be easier, no?
Old 02-19-2010, 10:25 PM   #11

What are your plans for the bus? Are you restoring it or are you turning it into an RV/camper? If you convert to an RV/camper, do you believe the conversion would invalidate the historic designation? I've lived in MD all my life, and it's definitely a persnickety state! Please let me know what you have found out, as it would be extremely helpful to me if I go the skoolie route. Thanks!
techedtchr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 09:30 AM   #12
Mini-Skoolie

Once the weather breaks I am going to finish gutting the seats and floor out and build perimeter seating half way down the bus ( to about the wheel wells). Very "party bus-esque). Then I am going to utilize the rest of the rear end for storage on trips. As for the exterior I am not 100% sure yet. I want to preserve the school bus look but add some styling to it. I would really love to get a set of Alcoa Aluminum rims for it but people seem to think i will be a nightmare switching from the Dayton spokes to them without changing out the axles.

I bought it really for sentimental value and love the thing. I just need to make it more practical for me without taking too much away from what I love about it.
Old 02-20-2010, 11:48 AM   #13
Skoolie

Year: 1999
Coachwork: AmTran RE
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 72

http://www.realwheels.com/universal.html

They have a simulator designed for Dayton wheels. It's not the same as Alcoas, but it's pretty close. I actually prefer the look of painted Daytons on an older bus, but if you try those simulators, let us know how it worked out.
Old 02-20-2010, 08:04 PM   #14

I'm glad to hear that you are ready to tackle your project! Have you had that inspection yet? Or does having the historic designation exempt you? As for where I live (you asked in the insurance thread), I live in the general Havre de Grace/Aberdeen area. If I ever were to start a skoolie project I'd keep the bus at my in-laws' place in Cecil County - there's no room for a bus where I live. Keep me updated - and if you could use any specific assistance, let me know - I do have access to wood shop equipment. Good luck to you!
Old 02-21-2010, 09:25 AM   #15
Mini-Skoolie

Thank you so much I may take you up on that. I definitely want to see your bus if and when you get it! There arent many (if any) other skoolies on this forum from Maryland so it would be nice to see some in person. I got around the inspection thing being that its historic. I keep her in Owings Mills in this RV garage I built last spring:

Busdriver_Phil: I think I agree with you and am most likely going to paint them black. I've seen those simulators on the dayton spoke wheels and they look kind of funny. They also arent that cheap.
Old 02-21-2010, 10:38 AM   #16
Almost There

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: IH
Engine: 466
Rated Cap: 64

Out here in Oregon and Idaho, you can register your bus as an RV if you have permanent sleeping facilities (a real bed on a framework fastened to the floor, not just a mattress thrown down on the floor) and cooking or kitchen facilities consisting of at least an icebox, stove, and sink all attached to the bus, not just sitting there. Otherwise you have to register it as a bus or a truck, which are both alot more expensive then as an RV.

As for the Daytona style wheels, it would be very expensive to change them out to more typical style rims. Better to leave them on the bus, and just paint them to look nice. Usually the center part is black, and the rim is silver. Still looks quite nice when done!
dburt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 04:19 PM   #17

Thanks for the tip regarding registering as historic - if I do get a bus at some point I'll be sure to look for one 20 years or older. I wouldn't have thought of that. My only concern is weight limits - the GVWR of the type of bus I would want to convert would likely go over 26,000 pounds (larger Thomas/AmTran diesel pushers and whatnot) so that may gum up the works a bit.

In any case, I've loved buses for a long time - the fist bus I rode in kindergarten was an early '70s something International Ward stick-shift gasser. For the next few years I rode a later '70s something International Superior automatic gas bus. Most were Wards, Superiors, and Thomases where I grew up - not much else. When I hit late elementary school age, I think that was about when the gassers disappeared and all the buses became diesels. It also seemed like the buses got more reliable too (the gassers seemed to have issues). Didn't see many Waynes/Carpenters while I grew up - the vast majority of buses were Thomases and Superiors with a few Wards tossed in.

In any case, that's a nice looking area for your bus! That ought to keep the snow off of it and I bet you are hoping for warmer temps so you can get to work! Keep us posted...
Old 02-21-2010, 07:20 PM   #18
Mini-Skoolie

Nice, you know your buses! Where did you grow up? In MD? We had a ton of Waynes, Superiors and Wards in the 70s and early 80s. After that Blue Bird and Thomas began taking over. I always loved the Waynes thus I searched long and hard to find one that I actually rode until I found this one way down in DC. Baltimore started buying automatics in 1973 and diesels way later in 1991. I leveled out my bus barn with a ton of stone after this picture was taken though I'd love to pour a concrete slab one day and cap off the front and back with an overhead door.

If im not mistaken, if you register as an historic vehicle and its over 26K (for sure an RE Type D bus would be) you would just need your CDL but at least you dont have to get emissions or inspected.
Old 02-21-2010, 08:15 PM   #19

I did grow up in southern MD; contractors owned and operated the buses, so there was some variability in the bus style depending on who owned the bus.

Regarding the work area, I am glad to hear that you got the site leveled out. That will come in very handy when making mods; I'd have to create such an area if/when I get a bus (if I ever do). The guy Smitty on here seems to have an awesome setup for modifying his bus. I checked out his forum to see what he is doing. I don't know how to weld and fabricate so I can't do everything I would want to do but I might go to a community college at some point to take a couple courses. I can't imagine that it's extremely difficult but getting good at the attention to detail aspects of those jobs will take time/practice. Best of luck as you continue the project - Chris
Old 02-22-2010, 08:00 PM   #20
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 93
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Engine: IHC DTA360, 190 hp
Rated Cap: 71
Send a message via AIM to grnthmb55

Jared,

You should paint up your wheels like I did on this bus:

Get a wire brush attachment for your drill and strip off any rust, then wash the wheel, and paint the whole thing with rust bullet automotive grade paint. (http://www.rustbullet.com). Then spray the whole thing black. This is best done in several coats... you have to move your bus a few times to make sure all angles are covered. Do as much of the silver as you can with a spray can... it comes out shinier than if you paint on the silver by hand. I usually spray the outer part of the rim with the spray can, and hand-paint with a little water-color brush the clasps and lug nuts. It is a very time consuming process, but 100% worth it. The wheels on that bus look almost just as good today, 4 years after painting them. The next bus I bought I painted up the wheels on, but forgot about painting them with rust bullet. Within two years they were all rusty again. I just had that whole bus repainted so I had the rims sent out and sandblasted, then repainted, while it was at the body shop. Rust Bullet is a lot cheaper than sandblasting, and it has been holding up very well. I think well-painted daytons are the best way to go on an older bus. It keeps with the character of the vehicle.
grnthmb55 is offline   Reply With Quote