I went to Indianapolis to check out Jasmine today.... I was hoping to bring her home but I was unable to secure insurance (more on that in a different thread).
The trip up was worthwhile though... I did give her a pretty thorough inspection followed by a test drive. Mechanically she looks to be in pretty good shape for her age... some rust was evident in the engine bay but that's to be expected. She turned right over and she handles beautifully. Her instrumentation is fairly complete, and all gauges work properly save one (more on that in a minute). Down the left side, oil pressure, water temp, trans temp. Tach next, then speedo.... down the right side, fuel level, primary air, secondary air. Voltage is part of the digital readout with the odometer, trip odometer and hour meter.
All the lights were functional (including the warning flashers). Her brake/tail and turn signal lights on the rear are already LED so that's some more fundage I can save.
Over the course of an hour or so spent inspecting and driving, I did find out a few things that are going to influence my build.
First, the good...
1) She already has an air seat, so I won't have to worry about that (and will save the cost of one).
2) The underbay storage.... instead of two compartments, it is one full-width compartment. That will simplify some things hopefully, and will also give me a protected area to hang my fresh water tank... and maybe my grey water tank too, if there's room. Probably going with a composting toilet so won't have black water to deal with.
3) The air doors already have a locking mechanism built in. Not great, but better than nothing. I'll have to tinker with it a little to get them to secure better.
4) There is some free space in the engine bay where I can install any components that would need to be close to the engine for any reason.
And a couple of things that are really neither good nor bad, but things that I'll have to work around or figure out...
5) There is a full-width rear seat mounted to/over the rear engine housing. Gonna have to figure out how to get that out.
6) There was a repair done to the floor. Not sure if it is just a surface repair or if it goes all the way through to the crossmembers underneath the body. Either way when I lay new plywood on the floor it will not be visible, but it will have to be addressed if there's a hole in the metal.
Now, the not so great... nothing that was a deal breaker but still things that will need to be fixed.
7) Her body does have some surface rust which was not visible in the photos... again nothing really major, and to be expected for a bus of her age, nothing that a wire brush on a drill motor won't take care of.
The coolant reservoir cap was missing... that should only be a few bucks at a truck stop or engine service facility.
9) This was the biggest issue but still not a deal breaker.... the speedometer is way off. Apparently this is a fairly common issue with these buses, and a replacement sensor should fix it (part is less than $100).
Since I was unable to get insurance on her today, I'll have to have her delivered to me (which should be comparable to the cost of the fuel I would have had to purchase to get her home). Hopefully this will happen soon and I can start on the build.