Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-13-2005, 08:48 AM   #21
Bus Nut

Hi Jerry,

Oh boy...now I'm gonna have to go back a re-read that part of the thread and get back up-to-date. Thanks for answering after all these months; it's really great to get information directly back from someone doing it. I'm definately going to incoporate a solar system into my conversion so your information is very valuable to me...thanks.

Skoolie.net Gallery
Illusion's SmugMug site
Les Lampman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 10:42 PM   #22
Bus Geek

Re: Jerry's Crown

how did i miss this conversion? This is probably the greatest bus conversion for boondocking i've ever seen.
Old 11-04-2008, 09:13 PM   #23
Skoolie

Year: 1975
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Supercoach
Engine: DD 6-71N

Thanks, I have to agree.
I just got the knotty pine on the walls and the wood stove in and the countertops on (2" slabs of tiger maple), I poured epoxy on them. I will add pictures to my bus site before we leave. It's starting to look pretty good inside.
I'll get some pictures up on my bus site soon. Just got WVO running on the bus and haven't had time to take her on a test run and today the tranny went out on my VW diesel pickup that I tow behind. so it may be a few days.
I can't wait to get on the road again.
Jerry
Jerry Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 02:20 PM   #24
Skoolie

Well, I almost got all my jobs done for this year. I need one more coat of epoxy on the table but I'll have to wait till I get down to the desert country to do that. The weather is too cold and wet here.
The wood stove came from a sunken sailboat in Mexico. I brought it home last year.

http://www.crowncoach.bravehost.com

Jerry
Old 11-23-2008, 09:23 PM   #25
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1961
Coachwork: GMC
Chassis: SDM 4501
Engine: 6V71
Rated Cap: 45

Jerry - what a great coach you have!! I love the openness (sp) and airyness which you have gained by not including interior walls in your conversion. What color are you going to paint the exterior, or is that the color you have chosen?
Zcommanager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 10:38 AM   #26
Skoolie

Thank You,
I've tried not to box us in but it's just not working. Next year I will build a closet if front of the bed, that will shorten things a little. Plus there will be cabinets up above in some places. Got to put that STUFF some where.
We have been working on this conversion for 6 years. (in the summer) I thought I would be done in 5 years but it looks like it will be at least 2 more, If there will be any money.
I've been going to paint the bus several times. What's on there now is Primer. It's lasted 5 years, now it's time to do something. I may do it when we get to the desert, maybe slab city, we shall see. I'm thinking about painting it the same color, battleship gray. It doesn't look too good and it doesn't look too bad. Plus it's the same color as the Mexican Navy, a BIG plus in Mexico.
Jerry
Old 11-24-2008, 05:17 PM   #27
Skoolie

I brought the stove home last year. It came from a sailboat that crashed on the rocks and sank in Mexico. A friend knew I was looking for one and salvaged it for me to use in the bus. I modified it so the draft will come from outside. I'll finish up the pipe install somewhere down south. It's getting too cold and wet to do anything here in the north country except leave. Which I plan on doing in a few days.
Jerry
Old 11-24-2008, 06:49 PM   #28
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1961
Coachwork: GMC
Chassis: SDM 4501
Engine: 6V71
Rated Cap: 45

I think everyone is feeling the same financial pinch you are right now - at least I am, but...you just have to keep on keepin' on !

Is Mexico a place that you travel to frequently? If it is, paying homage to the Mexican culture/ Navy by painting her their colors may give her a unique style - not that you haven't already achieved that with the work you have completed, as well as keep you in good graces with the Mexican people!! The Tiger Maple counter tops are absolutely fabulous!!!

Just out of curiosity, how long is your coach? It looks to be about the same size as mine - 35 ft. I'm just trying to see how others are utilizing the same minimal space. So, maybe one of these days I can "iron out a plan" and start building my dream coach.

Josh
Zcommanager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 09:03 PM   #29
Skoolie

My bus is 35' bumper to bumper and 34' 10" from windshield to rear windows.
You better get started. It is too much fun driving your house down the road.
I have been going to Mexico most winters since the middle '70s. The color Navy Gray is a matter of respect/fear. No one wants to mess with the federal government, if they're not sure, they leave you alone. I've seen as many as 25 road blocks/ police/soldier stops in one trip. They just wave us on thru.
Jerry
Old 12-01-2008, 10:39 PM   #30
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1959
Coachwork: superior
Chassis: international
Engine: 468 c.i. BBchevy
Rated Cap: 66

I'm learning here. thank you and happy trails.
Navistate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 03:09 AM   #31
Bus Nut

Year: 1974
Coachwork: CARPENTER
Chassis: GMC-6000
Engine: 454 CHEVY
Rated Cap: 66
Re: Leg & Foot of Panel racks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Campbell
I just read the FAQ. I'll put the photo on my bus page and link to it there.
http://www.peak.org/~jerryc/leg&foot.jpg

JERRY WHEN I TRY TO LOOK AT THE PIC

http://www.peak.org/~jerryc/bus.htm

YOU GET !

Error 404 : Not Found
We're sorry, but the page you are looking for cannot be found.
If you are a Personal Web Space user, and are expecting to see a list of the files in your PWS, please upload a text file named '.htaccess' containing the following lines:
# Turn Indexes ON
Options Indexes

the BEAST, 350, 4 sm465, np205,
hd d44 4.56, eaton ff 4.56
CAMO-MONSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 12:43 PM   #32
Skoolie

Year: 86
Coachwork: Thomas saf-t-liner
Chassis: International
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 40

Working on a baja bus trip for winter 09'/10' and could use any info you've got on great places to stop and anything that one would not be able to predict. Whats the story on wvo if you know? Any and all insight into this destination would be greatly appreciated. Especially any legal hurdles that need to be confronted before driving the bus in mexico.
recycler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 07:15 PM   #33
Skoolie

Hi Recycler,
We are in San Carlos, Mx on our way south. Not a very good Internet conection. I'll get back to you in a week or so when we get farther south.
Jerry
Old 01-02-2009, 10:25 AM   #34
Skoolie

First, Sorry Camo-Monster from Walla Walla, I changed servers. The right link is http://www.crowncoach.bravehost.com/leg&foot.jpg

We ran into a guy from Oregon in Slab City on the way down. We met him last year and talked him into taking his Carpenter down to Cabo San Lucas. He said he had a wonderful time but would have been better If he spoke a little spanish. So this year he's flying to Guatamala to study Spanish.
I can't tell you anything about the trip down Baja because I haven't been that way in 25 years.
No permits required for cars, campers, motor homes, motorcycles or other motorized vehicles in Baja.
You must get a Visa at the border. Do a little internet search on the crossing you will use and find out where they issue visas at that crossing. They cost a few bucks but I don't remember how much.
You need, Vehical Registration, Drivers liscense, passport.
You MUST have Mexican Auto insurance. We use Lewis & Lewis, You can get it on the internet. I think we pay about $350 for a year. It's cheaper that way.
Just GO, people do it all the time.
I just walked down on the beach and took this photo.
See Ya
Jerry
Attached Thumbnails
1_2_09.jpg  
Old 01-02-2009, 01:04 PM   #35
Bus Crazy

Year: 1965
Coachwork: thomas
Chassis: chevy
Engine: 350

oh man that is nice cervesa ,margarita port pavour!Happy new year jerry! timbuk
timbuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 05:35 PM   #36
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1993
Coachwork: genesis
Chassis: international harvester
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 84

I really liked the pictures of your crown, & pictures from mexico, nice digs, what's the cost of living like in mexico, do you rent a spot on the beach? or what , thanks for info, wife & I are working on our own bus, 1993 international genesis FC DT466, MT643 trans, 84 pax. Happy trails.
dieselman69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 01:19 PM   #37
Skoolie

Year: 86
Coachwork: Thomas saf-t-liner
Chassis: International
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 40

Thanks Jerry and man do I feel jealous looking at that palm set-up. I just need to get out of colorado next winter for some r&r at a place just like that with some nice waves to soothe waht ails me. Thanks again for some info on legalities towards baja. It's a real motivator!
recycler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 09:44 AM   #38
Skoolie

"I really liked the pictures of your crown, & pictures from mexico, nice digs, what's the cost of living like in mexico, do you rent a spot on the beach? or what , thanks for info, wife & I are working on our own bus, 1993 international genesis FC DT466, MT643 trans, 84 pax. Happy trails."

Hey Dieselman69.
Right now the cost of things is better because the peso is down or the dollar is up or something.
I have a deal with the owner of this place who lives somewhere else and It costs me nothing to stay here. I pay workers when I arrive to rebuild what was lost during the past year. It's all temporary. That usually costs from $100 to $200 depending. Every month we go to the closest bigger town and get some more pesos. That costs us about $300. So we spend about $300 a month to live here. For that money we live a life closer to that of a King than that of a poor person, which we are by US standards. Right now every one is catching fish (Dorado, Sierra, Wahoo) like crazy so some kind of fish is given to us almost daily. We have been doing this for about 25 years so we worked the bugs out long ago and now it's pretty much just smooooth sailing.
Good Luck to you and your wife
Jerry
Old 04-12-2009, 04:07 PM   #39

Year: 1995
Coachwork: genesis
Chassis: international
Engine: 466
Rated Cap: 21

well jerry like your bus, but most of all i like your life still, see ya on the road
curtisakalefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 09:12 PM   #40
Skoolie

I got a little more work done on the inside this summer. The weather just shut me down.

http://crowncoach.clanteam.com

The beach in Mexico was taken in August by a bunch of rich ass holes. They tore down every thing they didn't want and are using ,selling or eating the rest. The state police still have a fence across the road blocking access to the beach. We , and there are many of us, are fighting and beginning to gain a little ground with the government of Mexico but I'm not holding my breath. So who knows where we will go this winter. All I know is it will be warm.
It's already cold and wet here in Oregon.
Jerry