Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-15-2014, 03:26 PM   #241
Mini-Skoolie

Re: Journey Begins - 1988 Crown Conversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmarvel
It was not that hard in terms of skill. Just time consuming with over 1,500 rivets. Crown headliners are used to help support the rigidity of the roof structure and help strengthen the ability of the roof to handle roll overs. Crowns built from the late 70's on were built to handle the bus being dropped from a height of 25 feet on its roof and the roof would not collapse. The overlapping headliner panels are an integral part of that strength. I have seen some skoolie conversions that modify or even remove their metal headliners. A structural engineer told me not to do that. My concession was to put a rubber tape on the structural roof ribs before putting the headliner back up to try and create a thermal break. The overall strength was retained and now I had an insulated barrier (I used spray insulation closed cell foam) to the cold and heat. I also purchased rivets that had a very low profile. That was because I wanted to put a faux leather headliner up on the roof and I did not want the rivets to show through the smooth leather covering.
Thanks Greg. Yes, I plan to do spray foam insulation exactly like you have done and will definitely be putting the original headliner back in. I actually like the look of the metal headliner, which will save me some money by not having to cover it up. I'll also put some sound deadening material on the top side of the headliner, like I did on my '66 Beetle build here: http://vwblvd.com/?p=391

I've never done riveting before. Is there a particular rivet tool you'd recommend?

Your new shower is stunning! Can't wait to see that installed. If you were to do the interior again, would you have waited to do the flooring and other things, so you could build the shower inside the bus?

Wolfy

WolfyWho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 10:11 PM   #242
Bus Nut

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Supercoach
Engine: DD6-71T
Rated Cap: 78

Yes, I would build the shower first. However, you really have to have complete confidence in your measurements and final placements. We were not so that is why we are building the shower now.

Danville, California
https://www.transtraks.com
gmarvel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 12:13 AM   #243
Bus Nut

Hi Missing Texas,

When we decided to start a bus conversion to turn a Crown into our company's software training/demo/trade show bus, we knew that it was way above our skill sets on the more complicated stuff. We knew we would need help. We live in the San Francisco Bay Area, and we knew we wanted to get the help locally so we could easily take it when necessary for work. We found an outfit called Bay Equipment and Repair (BEAR) in Hayward, California. When we took a field trip to Hayward to check them out, we saw them working on the final stages of a bus conversion for the Hayward Police Department. BEAR was turning it into a mobile command center. We also saw them turn an old armored car into a new high tech SWAT assault vehicle. That sold us.

They do metal fabrication, body work, painting, etc. One of the national private school bus fleet operators uses BEAR for all their body repair work on their buses in the Bay Area. The place is packed with giant Class A bus motor homes getting refurbished and modernized. They have a huge paint booth where all their auto painting is done. In short, a class act. Plus, we negotiated a discounted rate for any labor charges. The owner once made his business doing painting and body work on school buses throughout Northern California and had done many a Crown in his day. He has been a partner in this conversion. He is almost as excited as us as we get another phase finished.

Good craftsmanship is hard to find. These guys take absolute pride in what they do. That is why we use them.

Danville, California
Old 10-16-2014, 11:11 AM   #244
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Yes, I would build the shower first. However, you really have to have complete confidence in your measurements and final placements. We were not so that is why we are building the shower now.
Thanks Greg. I checked out Youtube for some videos on rivets. Looks straight forward enough. But like you said, time consuming because there's 1500 or so of them. What size rivets did you use?

Wolfy
Old 10-16-2014, 03:38 PM   #245
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfyWho
Quote:
Thanks Greg. I checked out Youtube for some videos on rivets. Looks straight forward enough. But like you said, time consuming because there's 1500 or so of them. What size rivets did you use?

Wolfy

Looks like I found the riveter tool I'm going to use. It's an air tool, which will be much easier on me than one of those hand riveter tools.

http://www.harborfreight.com/1-4-qua...ter-98898.html
Old 10-16-2014, 04:31 PM   #246
Skoolie

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TE2000 FE
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: 84

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Wolfy

Looks like I found the riveter tool I'm going to use. It's an air tool, which will be much easier on me than one of those hand riveter tools.

http://www.harborfreight.com/1-4-qua...ter-98898.html
That tool works goooood!
cschlessman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 08:13 PM   #247
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Champion
Chassis: Ford e-450
Engine: 7.3 Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 14

Do yourself a favor-spend the money and get some of these:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/25-New-1-8-Clec ... 1e6d8766fd
Yes-they will sit in your toolbox for years afterwards-but boy do they make life easier. What they are is a couple piece pin that closes when you use the plier-but open up to 1/8" when released. So you hold your panel up + insert one in a hole + release the plies-it stays like it was riveted. No you go to another corner + install one-and if a few other holes. It holds the panel in place so you can rivet at your own free will.

my bus build https://www.skoolie.net/gallery/Skoolies/Sped
sdwarf36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 08:16 PM   #248
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdwarf36
Do yourself a favor-spend the money and get some of these:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/25-New-1-8-Clec ... 1e6d8766fd
Yes-they will sit in your toolbox for years afterwards-but boy do they make life easier. What they are is a couple piece pin that closes when you use the plier-but open up to 1/8" when released. So you hold your panel up + insert one in a hole + release the plies-it stays like it was riveted. No you go to another corner + install one-and if a few other holes. It holds the panel in place so you can rivet at your own free will.
That looks like a great tool and will certainly make life easier. Thanks! (Sorry to hijack your thread temporarily Greg)

Wolfy
Old 10-17-2014, 10:06 PM   #249
Bus Nut

STAINLESS STEEL SHOWER IN THE BUS

The stainless steel shower is in the bus. We painted the insulation black on the side facing the outside so it would not show through the tinted black window. We then screwed the window shut so it will not rattle or move behind the shower stall.

Close up of the window screwed shut and the insulation

Shower enclosure positioned near where it will be installed. It is in the bus, which was a miracle all by itself.

Next step is to get it properly positioned and the hole drilled into the floor for the drain. As observed on other threads, we want to make absolutely sure that we do not hit any steel floor beams under the marine plywood floor. Measure, then measure again, and then measure two or three more times before cutting!!!

Danville, California
Old 10-17-2014, 10:21 PM   #250
Bus Nut

TV MOTORIZED LIFT

We have planned to put a large LED flat screen in the bus to be used as a computer monitor when showing our software or training. We needed a very thin lift. Many of them need eight or nine inches of depth and cost a great deal of money. We found this one on Ebay. It was cheaper than any of the others that we liked and had a depth of less than three inches. It has a lift rate of 1" per second. It is going in our cabinet that will also house the electric fireplace. The fireplace will be in front and the TV will lift out of the cabinet behind the fireplace. We only had allocated a cabinet depth of 24" for this area of the bus, so depth size was critical.

This is a Whisper™ 700 LED/LCD/Plasma TV Lift w/ RF Remote by Wood Technology. It can hold up to a 42" screen, which is perfect for the size TV/monitor we got for the bus.

Features include:
Quiet motor operation
Rack and pinion design with unique stability system
Reverse safety function
Only needs 2-13/16" depth behind the TV or Monitor
Travel/Stroke = 27-3/16" (Adjustable)
Height (excluding Lid Lifter) from 23-5/8" up to 51-3/16"
Weight Capacity 145 lbs
Inverted Weight Capacity 60 lbs
Simple & fast mounting, plug-and-play assembly
UL Listed
110-240 VAC/50-60 Hz; 2 Amp/30 Volt Motor
Lift rate of approx. 1" per second

Includes
Remote Control (RF)
Manual Push Switch
Adjustable Lid Lifter
Universal TV Mounting Bracket

Danville, California
Old 10-18-2014, 11:42 AM   #251
Almost There

Year: 97
Coachwork: Me!
Chassis: BB
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 44

Can't wait to see some more pics of that shower! I'm sooooo stealing that idea!!!
Ponyracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 06:17 PM   #252
Bus Nut

MORE PROGRESS ON THE SHOWER

Below are photos of our ongoing shower install. When it is finished we will give it a good polish and buff to bring out the luster of the stainless steel. The sides walls are slotted inside of the floor pan, thus avoiding any chances of water getting out. The sides are both welded and a special metal glue to hold everything together and make it water proof.

Danville, California
Old 10-23-2014, 11:07 AM   #253
Bus Nut

Quote:
STAINLESS STEEL SHOWER STALL
We really love the look of vintage AirStream trailers and their stainless steel showers. We wanted to duplicate that look. In my research I learned that you don't want to wimp out on the quality of the stainless steel sheets. You absolutely need high chromium content steel to minimize any possibility of rust. The stainless steel sheets were over $1,000.

The floor pan is also stainless steel. The key is to make sure that the steel walls fit inside the floor pan and not outside. You don't want any possibility of water getting through any seams or cracks.

Below are pictures of the shower enclosure. We really wanted the shower larger. However, it would have taken up too much floor space and screw up our other wants. It is also a custom size 27" x 31". The ceiling is one piece that exactly matches the curve of the Crown's ceiling and sides. That was a pain. This material is very expensive, so redoing mistakes was not an option. We used a cardboard template to get the exact curve of the sides and roof.

It has not been placed in the bus as yet. That comes next. It will require the windshield to come out of the bus. it is the only way to get the finished product into the bus due to its size. The problem was doing any welding inside of the bus. We have already put in the faux leather covered headliner, the wood floor, some of the side wall paneling, etc. Welding inside the bus would probably damage what we have already done. So, the welding is taking place outside of the bus, and then the windshield will be removed and the shower pushed through the opening. I kind of feel like the guy that builds a large boat is his basement and then realizes that there might be a problem getting it out of the basement. On the other hand, the final shower size had to wait as we finished other aspects of the actual placement of sofas, cabinets, walls, etc. We decided to move forward with the other aspects of the interior and then decide at the appropriate time what the actual shower size would need to be. Thus, the need to take out the windshield to get the shower into the bus.

The protective tape is still on much of the steel

We are planning on a frameless glass shower door.
Awesome looking shower! As a metalworker I love stainless and that is beautiful! What is the weight of the shower unit...it has to weigh a ton? Also, how much did it end up costing once it was all fabricated and welded? Did you consider making it from aluminum? Either way I love it!
dgorila1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 01:30 AM   #254
Bus Nut

WEIGHT AND GAUGE OF STAINLESS STEEL SHOWER

The shower pan is 16 gauge high chromium stainless steel. We bought one sheet 48" x 96". It weighed 81 ibs. We purchased three sheets of 11 gauge high chromium stainless steel that were 48" x 120". They weighed 605 lbs. Total cost for the material was $1,157. We spent about $1,000 on labor to fabricate and installation. It was an expensive feature for the bus. But it is beautiful and has a Wow factor that is priceless.

Danville, California
Old 11-01-2014, 01:51 AM   #255
Bus Nut

MORE WORK ON THE REAR AREA OF THE BUS

We are getting to the rear area of the bus. Starting to set up the bed area and continuing to work in the bathroom area.

Shower Area Looking From the Rear to the Front

Another View Looking Towards the Rear. The Cabinet is for the Induction Cooktop. That Cabinet Will Have Another One Next to it For the Kitchen Sink and Will Have a One Piece Solid Surface Top.

Bed Area Started. Headboard is Real Leather. Side Cabinets Were a Real Find. The Front Wood Area Slides Forward to Reveal Two Large and Deep Cup/Mug Holders. The Rear Area on Top hides a Deep Storage Area. The Platforms They Rest on are Rough for Now, But Will Get More Refined in the Next Week. Bed Platform will Fit Over the Back Seat Area and Will Include Storage in the Platform.

Danville, California
Old 11-01-2014, 08:59 AM   #256
Mini-Skoolie

Very nice. Queen size bed (60x80)?
Old 11-01-2014, 10:28 AM   #257
Bus Nut

Yes, Queen bed, 60" x 80". It is a Sleep Comfort with the wireless controlled air chambers. We got it from Camping World for hundreds off what the Sleep Comfort website wanted for it. I am taking it to the bus today to install. Should have pictures next week.

Danville, California
Old 11-01-2014, 04:28 PM   #258
Bus Nut

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DT360
Rated Cap: 72

Awesome, love how you're progressing. premium shizzle
Old 11-02-2014, 11:53 AM   #259
Bus Nut

SHOWER HEAD SELECTION

One of the issues I have heard over and over again is shower heads. Most RV shower heads do not conserve the hot water. When you have a limited number of gallons of hot and fresh water, a regular shower head makes for very short showers. I found this shower head at Camping World. I checked out all the reviews. It uses a mechanism that mixes oxygen in with the water stream and increases the pressure dramatically. The end result is a house style shower experience with a 70% reduction in water usage. I think this is the answer. It comes with a five foot brushed nickle shower hose.

The version I got is brushed nickle. A picture is below (this shows the chrome finish). It matches the plumbing fixture theme we are going with and I think will look great in the stainless steel shower.

Danville, California
Old 11-02-2014, 05:08 PM   #260
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Crown / Pusher
Engine: 8.3 Cummins

Filomena & I have that one in our house
Stu & Filo. T is offline   Reply With Quote