Old 09-07-2014, 09:14 PM   #221

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 56
Re: Journey Begins - 1988 Crown Conversion

Did you end up getting the Cummins Hybrid Quiet Diesel Power System? What was the ballpark cost on that? That seems like an incredible system that probably has a steep price tag.
willhitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 01:48 AM   #222
Bus Nut

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Supercoach
Engine: DD6-71T
Rated Cap: 78

I paid about $8,000 for the 8000 watt system. That included all the components such as the inverter, and the central control that will figure out when connected to shore power, and when demand requires the generator to turn itself on. This system retail price was over $10,000, but I researched the price online and got it for almost wholesale. My generator is hooked up to my vehicle's 112 gallon diesel tank. It is the Cummins Onan Quiet Diesel System.

Danville, California
http://www.transtraks.com
gmarvel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 02:57 AM   #223
Bus Nut

SIDE WALLS GOING UP

We are finally starting on the side walls. We had to finish some critical electrical before starting on the side walls. The area that is black near the floor is where much of the electrical is running. It is a chase area below the old seat side rail in the Crown. We needed to have access to it if we needed to make revisions or repairs in the electrical runs. We insulated the lower area with the LizardSkin acoustal and thermal insulation coating discussed in an earlier posting. We added additional insulation in the chase using reflective closed cell sheets. The chase is then closed up with a black metal covering. We selected that color because we believe it compliments the European Birch side walls. The screws in the pictures still need to be painted black.

The European birch panels are prefinished and we found them on sale at Ikea of all places. The paneling matches the cabinets we selected.

We also played with where the navigator chair is going to be placed. The problem is the front passenger side wheel well is the best place for the seat, but placing it on top of the wheel well makes the chair too high. We had to play where we wanted it so it could swivel without hitting the wall. We decided on placing it just behind the wheel well. This will also allow us to build a strong frame for the the navigator chair that will be bolted completely through the floor and secured by a large metal plate under the bus to spread out the pressure points. Obviously, we want the chair to stay bolted into the floor in the event of a serious accident.

Danville, California
Old 09-24-2014, 12:15 AM   #224
Bus Nut

FIRST WALL UP
A bit of a milestone today. We got our first wall up. Photo can be found below. We are using the same European Birch that we are utilizing for the side walls below the windows. The more of this wood we put in the better we are liking it.

Danville, California
Old 09-24-2014, 12:20 AM   #225
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15

Simply Out-freakin-standing guys!
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 01:59 AM   #226
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 97
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9L 12v Cummins @ 230HP Allison MD 3060
Rated Cap: 33,000 lb GVW

Your bus looks great so far...I love the retro Crown look!

Keep up the good work; I look forward to following your progress.

p.s. we have an tankless hot water heater and you'd be surprised at how consistent it is! It gets hotter than in my old apartment!
WinslowtheBluebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 10:16 AM   #227
Bus Geek

What brand tankless if I may ask? Been looking myself and keep hearing issues about the flow rate needing to full on to ignite the heater. Any such problem with yours?
Old 09-25-2014, 12:44 AM   #228
Bus Nut

Thank you Tango and WinslowtheBluebird for the kind words. We spent a great deal of time and effort deciding on our wood type and finish. This European Birch has a totally different grain than American Birch. Also, the way it takes a stain is different. We tried to duplicate the finish and could not. We went to a cabinet maker to see if he could match the stain, and he could not with American Birch or any other common wood. So, we found these large wood panels at Ikea that are used for the end pieces in large floor to ceiling cabinets. We bought eight large sheets on sale (about 60% off). We did not measure correctly and have already run out. It is off to Ikea tomorrow to get another four panels. These panels match the base and wall cabinets we already purchased from Ikea. We are using them for the side paneling below the windows, for the walls to our bathroom areas and "master" bedroom in the back, and for the skin on a custom cabinet we are having built to house the electric fireplace and the pop up LED flat screen TV.

WinslowtheBluebird, we decided to go with an all electric bus. We don't want any chance of a propane leak and potential fire. All of the tankless electric water heaters could only raise the water temp about 20 degrees. The problem with that is that the water coming into the heater could be in the 40's or 50's, resulting in a rather chilly shower. I believe that propane tankless water heaters can raise the temperature substantially higher and are a good way to go if you are going to use propane. Since we were not, the tankless route was out for us. You can see in my earlier post that I got a killer deal on a great electric 15 gallon water heater.

Our build is taking a lot longer than I was expecting. We have seen some of you guys already out and about taking journeys and having adventures. We are not there yet, but are getting close. Sometimes the setbacks come in unexpected ways. For example, we bought 3M Crystalline tint film for the windows of the bus. This is the best tint product on the market (from multiple sources). It has a lifetime warranty when installed by a certified installer. We had four, count them four different certified installers crap out on us. Scheduled appointments be damned. Return phone calls wondering why you did not show up? Optional. We were at a standstill on some major interior work waiting to get a certified installer. We finally got one and the tinting is completed. However, it set us back a month.

Again, thank you for the kind words. I can't wait to show you the finished interior. I think it is going to look wonderful.

Danville, California
Old 09-25-2014, 01:03 AM   #229
Bus Nut

12 VOLT ADJUSTABLE READING LIGHTS

We found a source for some neat 12 volt adjustable reading lights for the bus. We bought five of them (one for the Navigator's chair area, one each for the two sofas, and two for the Queen bed in the back). These are 12 volt LED light fixtures from Gustafson Lighting. They have a metal brushed nickel finish and individual on/off switches. They will be perfect for task lighting and reading. We only paid $8.50 each. A great deal.

Danville, California
Old 09-25-2014, 05:36 PM   #230
Bus Geek

Sweet deal on the lights! I'll be checking out these guys...thanks for sharing!