Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-29-2013, 05:24 PM   #81
Bus Nut

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Supercoach
Engine: DD6-71T
Rated Cap: 78
Re: Journey Begins - 1988 Crown Conversion

FUEL TANK

The 100 gallon diesel tank has been reinstalled under the bus. We had the tank totally reconditioned and cleaned out (no 25 years of sludge and crap in the bottom of the tank). It then got a good primer coat, and paint job, and then rhino skinned to protect those area of the fuel tank exposed to potential road debris (it is under the bus). We also had a valve put in it for a fuel line to the diesel generator.
Attached Thumbnails
Crown Paint Fuel Tank 2 - Small.jpg  

Danville, California
https://www.transtraks.com
gmarvel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 05:39 PM   #82
Bus Nut

SPRING STEPS FOR THE CROWN

We found a source for some spring loaded steps. These were options on Crowns and some school districts and contractors did not order them. We think they are great. Two will go on the front bumper (there are already holes for them in the bumper) and two on the back bumper. Two will then be placed on the right side of the side emergency exit to facilitate getting up into or out of the bus using this door.
Attached Thumbnails
Crown Steps - Small.jpg   Crown Side Emergency Exit - Small.jpg  

Danville, California
Old 12-29-2013, 05:58 PM   #83
Bus Nut

ELECTRIC FIREPLACE AND HEATER HAS ARRIVED

In an earlier post I indicated it was our intent to put an electric fireplace into a cabinet in the bus and then have a flat screen TV rise up out of the back of the cabinet. We have been searching for some time and finally settled on this 25 inch wide electric fireplace and heater from ClassicFlame. It has arrived!!! It has a curved glass front. It is only 9 inches deep. It has a heater component that will heat up to 400 square feet of living space (way bigger than the inside of a Crown). When used in heating mode, it draws 11.7 amps. Since it uses LED technology, in non-heater mode the power draw is negligible. It is very quiet when the heater fan is going. It has a thermostat built into it with digital display built into the glass front. It has a remote and allows for multiple flame and heating options. We got it for almost 50% off on sale. It has good reviews. Also, all the heat is directed out the front. So, we don't need to worry about heat getting into the closed cabinet with the TV behind it.

We are going with several heating options for flexibility. The two AC units include heat strips. And, Donna has decided that she wants electric heated floors. We are investigating this option now. There are a number of companies that make them, and some are designed to go under a variety of flooring (tiles, laminate, carpet, etc.). We will let you know what we decide. All of these options are being included in our electric capacity load.
Attached Thumbnails
ClassicFlame-25in-curved-plug-in-25EF023GRA-1000.jpg  

Danville, California
Old 12-29-2013, 06:12 PM   #84
Bus Nut

PAINT SCHEME GRAPHICS

Below you will find an image of a proposed paint graphics scheme. We have gone through about 20 of them. This one is not final. However, it is getting close. We want to convey motion and speed with the graphic and tie into the black window treatment. The windows are going to be tinted a "Limo Black" that still dramatically cuts down on heat transfer from the windows and cuts over 99% of the UV rays. The front and back will include graphics around the Crown emblem that mimics the factory Crown style. It is hard to see in this picture. But, you should sort of get the idea.

The main color on this drawing is not the actual final shade. It will be a light shade of metallic khaki and will be clear coated. With the Alcoa polished rims, we think it will look great going down the road.

Thoughts, ideas, opinions are invited. The body work and sanding are finished. Painting is looming on the horizon. We really want to nail this paint scheme so it has a WOW factor. Your ideas would be greatly appreciated....before we start the paint job.
Attached Thumbnails
PAINT_SCHEMEwave4.jpg  

Danville, California
Old 12-30-2013, 04:18 AM   #85
Bus Geek

Good progress, never personally been a fan of swoops and swirls...it will look good and you will be happy, thanks for update
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 10:39 AM   #86
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15

Gotta say I'm with Bansil on the whole swoopy-swirly look thing. Just looks too much like every other factory "motorcoach". Me...I'd have a real hard time not going with some kind of classic vintage look. There were some pretty cool paint jobs applied during the "streamlined" era that would really compliment the lines on a Crown. But that's just my dos centavos worth. Ya gotta do what makes YOU happy.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 10:58 AM   #87
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu

Ditto Tango--but then we are booth sooooo old skool
ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 11:00 AM   #88
Bus Geek

polished wheels...chromed bumpers....yup, defienitly needs an art deco style paint job something sexy and stunning...like jewelry

these mimic the swoops you had in mind

so you can do swirls, just go Ole Skool
Old 12-30-2013, 12:40 PM   #89
Skoolie

Year: 1974
Engine: Detroit Diesel 6-71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango
Gotta say I'm with Bansil on the whole swoopy-swirly look thing. Just looks too much like every other factory "motorcoach". Me...I'd have a real hard time not going with some kind of classic vintage look. There were some pretty cool paint jobs applied during the "streamlined" era that would really compliment the lines on a Crown. But that's just my dos centavos worth. Ya gotta do what makes YOU happy.
Same here.

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=466562
inkblots84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 01:10 PM   #90
Bus Nut

How about something like this? I tried to combine those streamlliner looks with a Crown factory pinstripe. (I don't have your fancy colors in paint so imagine the Khakis match) I don't know if you can tell in the pic but I was thinking keep the front with the double striping as factory and then as it went down the side it decides to take it's own route to the rear where it returns to factory like. I think the big leaning "waves" along the bottom would look amazing if followed by the stripe, it has a look of moving forward, with a nod to yesteryear. Now if you are going with a metallic Khaki, Toyota makes a great Black with multi-colored metallic flake in it (very subtle though, not real flashy) It is called Black Sand Pearl. I have it on my Scion xb, it has a nice depth and good solid black with a hint of more unless you look close.
I am sure that no matter what you choose it will look great!!
Malkieri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 01:22 PM   #91
Bus Geek

your paint brush is crooked
Old 12-30-2013, 01:32 PM   #92
Bus Nut

I was just looking it over and I think I applied the paint back wards .... Picture arrows pointing to front...lol damn crowns look the same coming and going!
Those of us with Dog-nosed buses don't have this issue!
Malkieri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 01:35 PM   #93
Bus Geek

Old 12-30-2013, 02:31 PM   #94
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu

Thats much better--see how the dark color accents the wheel wells? Good 'ol skool
ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 03:50 PM   #95
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15

Now yer talkin'! That's my kinda' swoop. Just don't get the front & rear confused while your actually painting it.

And, I not only like the black & khaki look...that's what's going on mine. Satin black fenders with a Jeep desert tan. Think they call it "Dune" or some such. Maybe with just a touch of red for accent? Oh yeah...but definitely white on the roof top. Function wins out over style up there.

"Classic" never goes out of style.

"Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months." --- Billy Wilder
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 06:42 AM   #96
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Engine: DT408

Love the color scheme. We're looking into either coyote tan and black, Burgundy & black, or something that'll blend in to a wooded scheme involving black, dark greens and gun metal gray. It'll be interesting to see how your paint turns out.
I am an sojourner in the earth; hide not Your Commandments from me. Psalm 119:19

Here is the patience of the saints; here are the ones keeping the commandments of YAHWEH, and the faith of Yahshua. Rev. 14:12
sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 06:54 AM   #97
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Engine: DT408

Quote:
ELECTRIC FIREPLACE AND HEATER HAS ARRIVED
If it's made by Twin-Star, a friend of mine owns the factory where these are made in China. It's also the place where the aquaponics system I designed and sell (http://www.myaquafarm.com) is manufactured. I've actually lived at the plant for a total of 2 months and had dinner with the Twin-Star guys. Kinda cool seeing these things made from rolls of sheet metal. They have about a bazillion parts to them but do look cool.
I am an sojourner in the earth; hide not Your Commandments from me. Psalm 119:19

Here is the patience of the saints; here are the ones keeping the commandments of YAHWEH, and the faith of Yahshua. Rev. 14:12
sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 02:20 PM   #98
Bus Nut

It is made by Twin-Star. We liked this model the best from the various manufacturers and the price was right.

Danville, California
Old 01-01-2014, 02:56 PM   #99
Bus Nut

SATELLITE DISH INSTALLED

We found a great deal on a DirecTV RV satellite dish. It folds flat on the roof. When you push the satellite button in the bus (when you are parked), the satellite rises up and automatically finds and locks onto the satellites. It receives all DirecTV satellites without having to move the dish. It handles HD and allows for two simultaneous receivers on different channels. It is not one of those dishes that allows you to stay locked onto a signal while traveling down the road. We did not see the need for that feature.

Below are images of the dish and the installation. While the headliner is off, this is the time to do this installation and we need to run the electrical wire (to power the dish motor) and the coax cable through the roof ribs down to where the TV's will be installed.
Attached Thumbnails
Satellite Installed Close Up.jpg   Satellite Installed - Small.jpg   sk-swm3-travler-antenna.jpg  

Danville, California
Old 01-01-2014, 10:25 PM   #100
Bus Nut

FINAL HEADLINER REMOVED

The main portion of the headliner was removed. However, the curved back and front areas had not. We finally got that done this week. Attached are photos.

We also noted that the underside of the exterior roof had a rubberized black paint sprayed on it. This was to prevent any leaks from the roof getting into the cavity between the roof and the headliner. The coating is 25 years old.

We have decided to recoat the underside of the roof with a Rhino Skin like rubberized paint. After 25 years it is hard to believe that it is in perfect condition. So, before we spray foam we are going to redo the rubberized coating to try and protect from any potential roof leaks in the coming decades.

When we think we are about to finish a part of the bus, another issue comes up. However, ignoring this coating and hoping that the 25 year old layer is still totally protecting the bus, could prove to be a bad decision. We are playing it safe and spending the few extra bucks to fully protect the roof area.
Attached Thumbnails
Front Headliner Removed - Small.jpg   rear headliner removed - Small.jpg  

Danville, California