Old 10-29-2013, 03:40 PM   #61
Bus Crazy

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Crown / Pusher
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
Re: Journey Begins - 1988 Crown Conversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmarvel
That is a good question. Frankly, I was going to call Brown Crown for advice. He converted a Crown and he had an air conditioning unit on top.
If I remember correctly Brown Crown removed his sheet metal then glued styrofoam then carpet to his roof, I'll have to go back & research when I have time
Stu & Filo. T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 04:40 PM   #62
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Crown / Pusher
Engine: 8.3 Cummins

I just discovered that if you drill a small hole in a ceiling rib I was able to send a fish tape all the way up to the roof vent, I'm sure if you did it in another area you would be able to send it all the way around. I hope this helps,,

Stuart
Stu & Filo. T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 04:14 PM   #63
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Supercoach
Engine: DD6-71T
Rated Cap: 78

WHERE TO RUN THE WIRING FOR AIR CONDITIONING

Brown Crown got back to me. He did not pull off the headliner. If you look at the picture below, as long as you place your opening between the roof ribbing, the wires can be threaded down to the wiring chase on the sides above the window. From there you can snake the wiring to an area that has a wall and you can then go down through the wall to wherever your electrical center is going to be. The air conditioning wires are huge. So, running it down the outside of the headliner and then covering it up with carpet, paneling or whatever would not work.

The air conditioning units we got have huge rubber caskets and "shock absorber" type rubber to significantly reduce noise and vibration. I forgot to take a picture the other day. I will the next time I am at the bus.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Crown Air Conditioning Holes 1.jpg (37.4 KB, 762 views)
File Type: jpg Crown Air Conditioning Hole Close Up - Small.jpg (54.8 KB, 767 views)

Danville, California
http://www.transtraks.com
gmarvel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 04:24 PM   #64
Bus Nut

PLACEMENT OF AIR CONDITIONERS

As I said in an earlier post, we put a great deal of thought into where we were going to place the air conditioners. Below are two shots of the placement from an interior view.

Danville, California
Old 11-20-2013, 11:07 PM   #65
Bus Nut

HOLDING TANKS HAVE ARRIVED

We have decided to go with both black and grey water holding tanks. There was some debate about having a combined tank. However, we decided both tanks were a better option. None of the standard holding tanks met our space needs. So, we took careful measurements and then had them custom made. It was more expensive, but they fit perfectly. Each of them holds 47.5 gallons. Below are pictures of the holding tanks that have arrived and the area where they are going. The platform has been built just in front of the rear axle on the passenger side of the bus. We are putting the fresh water holding tank (47 gallons) in the rear trunk area of the bus. It has not yet arrived. I have heard somewhere that you want your fresh water tank to equal the total of your combined black and grey water tanks. That is if you want to live off the grid and dumping stations for some time. We are not intending to use our Crown for extended stays off the grid or away from campsite amenities. We also don't intend to be driving down the road for many miles with full black and grey water tanks. So, we think this arrangement will be perfect for us.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Holding Tanks 1 - Small.jpg (98.6 KB, 667 views)
File Type: jpg Crown - Hold Tank 1 - Small.jpg (67.8 KB, 668 views)
File Type: jpg Crown - Holding Tank 2 - Small.jpg (87.6 KB, 677 views)

Danville, California
Old 11-20-2013, 11:24 PM   #66
Bus Nut

AIR CONDITIONING UNITS UP ON THE ROOF

We purchased two Dometic Air Conditioning units. They are 15,000 BTU and include heating strips. Below is a picture of the front air conditioning unit on the top of the bus. My picture of both units on the roof did not come out. We intend to have them painted the same color as the roof. For those that are not familiar with Crowns, the scoop shaped thing in front of the AC unit is a vent hood. There is another one on the other side of the bus as well. These AC units will be powered with an Onan Quiet Diesel 8000 watt generator that is going into the side of the bus just behind the front door, feeding off of the newly reconditioned 100 gallon diesel tank. We heard an identical generator today and you could hardly tell it was running. I can't believe how quiet these are!!! We intend to insulate the generator compartment (making sure to leave room for ventilation) to get the noise down to a soft whisper.

We debated which model to get. Brown Crown's experience with his Crown and its one 13,500 BTU AC unit in the California Central Valley (hot, hot, hot in the Summer) convinced us to go with two units and the price difference between 13,5000 and 15,000 was not that much.

We discovered that our Crown's roof structure made it impossible to run the wiring through the headliner and down the inside of the bus without taking off the headliner and making small holes in the roof cross ribs to run the wiring. Of course we used grommets in the holes to protect the wiring. Taking off the headliner was not too difficult. Of course that was only two panels (one for the front AC and one for the back AC). Talking about doing what Allwthrrider did and taking the whole headliner off to reinsulate. Will report in a future post about what we decide to do.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AC Unit on Bus 1 - Small.jpg (61.7 KB, 664 views)

Danville, California
Old 11-21-2013, 04:33 AM   #67
Site Team

Progress is looking good
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 07:35 PM   #68
Bus Nut

MADE CRITICAL PAINT DECISIONS

After going through what seems like hundreds of possible combinations, we have settled on our paint scheme. We are going with a light khaki metallic as the primary body color, with swooping large black lines coming from the lower front and sweeping up to the back roof area. We wanted a design that suggested motion. We are going to the extra expense of having a clear coat as well. We want the paint job to be awesome. Not ready yet to start painting, but at least we now know what will work. If I can figure out how to take a good picture of the color combination and post it I will. I am not sure a digital picture will render the colors accurately. I am working on a paint scheme that I will share when finished.

Danville, California
Old 12-01-2013, 11:06 PM   #69
Almost There

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: IH
Engine: 466
Rated Cap: 64

Love your bus, and your work so far. Well thought out, and executed!
dburt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 11:40 PM   #70
Bus Nut

Thank you for your kind words. Donna and I are really trying to make this conversion special. I hope to have few "I wish I had done that differently" moments.

Danville, California