Bus Nut

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Supercoach
Engine: DD6-71T
Rated Cap: 78
Re: Journey Begins - 1988 Crown Conversion

GENERATOR IN PLACE AND COMPARTMENT BUILT, NEW HOUSE BATTERIES ALSO INSTALLED

In an earlier post we indicated we had decided to go with an Onan Quiet Diesel 8000 Watt Generator. It has arrived. We also took the spare tire compartment behind the front door and converted it into a generator compartment. We built a slide out mechanism for the compartment so that the generator could easily be rolled out for maintenance. This is important, since the generator is over 400 pounds.

We also purchased four AGM batteries for our coach. These are the latest technology and are maintenance free. We have installed them next to the generator compartment.

The reconditioned fuel tank has been fitted with a fuel valve to service the generator. The fuel tank has been reinstalled under the bus. The valve has been positioned so that only 75% of the diesel tank's capacity will be available to the generator. We don't want to run the generator so much that there is no fuel for the bus. I doubt this would ever happen. However, it is better to be safe and put in this feature now. Given the current fuel mileage on the bus, we would have about a 300 mile range on the bus if the fuel tank fell to 25 gallons and the generator had no fuel access.

The electrical plans have been finalized. We had them reviewed with an electrical engineer that specializes in Class A RV's to make sure we had enough circuits, etc.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Crown Generator in Compartment2 - Small.jpg (96.7 KB, 454 views)
File Type: jpg Crown Generator In Compartment1 - Small.jpg (88.7 KB, 459 views)
File Type: jpg Crown Generator Compartment - Small.jpg (106.0 KB, 462 views)

Danville, California
http://www.transtraks.com
gmarvel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 07:09 AM   #72
Site Team

nice and snug fit, how hard to get to batteries to hook them up?
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 04:26 PM   #73
Bus Nut

Beautiful bus. Crowns really are works of art. Shame that the government is subsidizing their extinction.

I don't have a problem with LP, but, it ain't my bus. I could see how going all electric might make sense in sunny california if you have a good PV setup.
pete c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 12:33 AM   #74
Bus Nut

It is a snug fit. However the batteries can be accessed. We checked. Plus, these are maintenance free and will not need to be accessed regularly.

Danville, California
Old 12-17-2013, 09:45 PM   #75
Bus Nut

INSULATION OF ROOF AND SIDES BEGINS

The headliner has been removed from the interior of the bus. There are about two inches of pink insulation between the interior headliner and the exterior skin of the bus. As you can see in the pictures it is being removed. Wear a mask for this job. The fibers get everywhere!!!!

We have also started the insulation of the side walls below the windows. We are using aluminum backed insulation boards that are sealed with aluminum tape as well as spray insulation foam to seal all the potential cracks. Once every bit of the pink stuff is removed, we will spray foam insulation into all the cavities of the roof area. The headliner will then be replaced. It will eventually be covered with flexible faux leather covered panels.

Does anyone know what kind of foam insulation is used under the bus? I have seen numerous people talk about it, but I want to make sure we get the kind that is appropriate for going under a vehicle. We believe that insulation under the bus will help keep the Crown appropriately cool and warm, while deadening the road noise.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Crown Side Insulation - Small.jpg (115.6 KB, 361 views)
File Type: jpg Crown Headliner 4 - Small.jpg (126.3 KB, 363 views)
File Type: jpg Crown Headliner 2 - Small.jpg (106.3 KB, 365 views)

Danville, California
Old 12-17-2013, 10:11 PM   #76
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Crown / Pusher
Engine: 8.3 Cummins

I wonder why the insulation in your Crown was so much thicker than mine, when I removed my ceiling panels the insulation was only about 1/2 in thick
Stu & Filo. T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 08:36 PM   #77
Bus Nut

I suspect it depended on which worker did the insulation. Clearly, my guy took the insulation task seriously. I was equally amazed at the difference. I fully expected a poor insulation job like your Crown (same year, 198. I was surprised to see all that pink stuff. I am still glad I did it as I really believe that the spray foam insulation will be much better.

Danville, California
Old 12-20-2013, 01:07 AM   #78
Skoolie

Year: 1986
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE
Engine: 3208TA Cat 250HP
Rated Cap: 84

Just wondering, are you using 12 volt or 6 volt house batteries? BTW, really enjoying this thread. Good work, lots of good ideas!
thommassey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 02:40 AM   #79
Bus Nut

Thank you for the kind words. We are working hard to try and get this conversion exactly the way the want it the first time around. We want to avoid "we should have" moments. We will certainly have them. However, we hope to limit the number. This site has been great in helping us make our decisions.

The new AGM house batteries are 12 volt. We are also replacing the old 8d vehicle batteries with new AGM's as well, with cold cracking amps (CCA) of almost 2000. Two batteries take up the same space as one of the old 8d standard batteries.

Danville, California
Old 12-29-2013, 06:17 PM   #80
Bus Nut

VEHICLE BATTERY COMPARTMENT

The Crown came with old 8d batteries. They are massive. The new AGM starter batteries have arrived and should be put in the bus next week. Below are images of the Crown's vehicle battery compartment. It is on the driver's side of the bus in front of the rear axle. Two AGM deep cycle batteries take up the same room as one of the old 8d batteries that came with the Crown. We are going to reconfigure the battery compartment to also include the macerator pump and waste water hookups. Because we will have a macerating pump, we will not need the huge accordion sewage hoses like most RV's. I have seen these on other conversations and Class A RV's and they are pretty neat.

Below are pictures of the battery compartment. Remember, the old massive batteries will be removed and replaced with more powerful but smaller batteries (almost 2000 cold cranking amps). This will free up significant space.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Battery Compartment 1 - Small.jpg (99.7 KB, 393 views)
File Type: jpg Crown Batteries1 - Small.jpg (85.1 KB, 389 views)
File Type: jpg Crown-Battery1 - Small.jpg (56.5 KB, 388 views)

Danville, California