Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-06-2018, 09:28 PM   #1

Just about to start !

Just about to start we are very excited with this skoolie project I've been researching a lot throughout this website and I'm looking for as much information as I can.

So I think I found the bus, it's a 2001 Bluebird All-American 8.3 Cummins with the Allison MD3060 Transmission.

From what I read this is a pretty good combination..

I know everybody's going to say double your time which I might think it will happen but my plan is to get this done by November if not mid-December. Obviously maybe not 100% but enough to travel with the family very comfortably.

is there anything special I should be looking into that specific year and model of School Bus.

Huge thanks guys for the help and seriously this website is just crazy... so much information

Lucky7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 09:21 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Welcome...and yes. That is a very excellent combination! And a good year as well since it is pre-EPA nonsense. Have fun and post pix!
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 09:24 AM   #3

Pre-EPA, what is that ?
Lucky7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 09:41 AM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Everything after 2004 is loaded down with a ton of environmental crap that has yet to be made functional. Lots of sensors and nonsense, none of which works properly or for very long. To give you some idea how bad it has become...school districts used to typically hold on to their fleet for a couple of hundred thousand miles, ten or so years, XXXXX number of hours or until they were just plain worn out. The "new improved" EPA buses are being dumped by the school districts after two or three years because they spend so much time "out of service" and quickly become far too expensive to maintain.

And the real kicker is, they don't really do a thing for the environment because the systems are so faulty.

Hmmmm. Progress.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote