Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-30-2010, 02:29 AM   #1

Year: 1975
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: GMC
Engine: 427
Rated Cap: 66
Ladie Butterfly's Bus Conversion

Hi I am Laureen I have been working on my bus for little over a year now (apirl 09). I have posted part of my story and work done on my bus on a website at Ladiebutterflybusconversion.weebly.com please feel free to look and send me any feed back. I was very against getting a bus as to the fear of being teased and thought of as a hippie. Well to heck with them I love my bus and I wouldnt trade her for anything not even for the money. Since Jan I have been working on her by myself. My goal was to convert her because i needed more living space as it is we live in 20 ft travel trailer now (me & my 2 girls). But I just keep thinking that getting her done will be more then living space she will be a home and We want to travel as well too. Thank you for your time Hugs L
Attached Thumbnails
432.jpg  

Ladie Butterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 06:47 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89
Re: Ladie Butterfly's Bus Conversion

Oh cool! Another GIRL! And a full timer as well?
https://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
https://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 07:04 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 1981
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Ford B-600
Engine: Ford 370 Propane
Rated Cap: 48

Welcome! Looks like you have done a great job so far. Keep the pictures coming!
jkindt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 07:25 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Welcome!

I wouldn't worry about the "suicide door" at curbside. If you are right-handed, it may even be more convenient to open the door with your left hand while carrying something in your right hand.

I think the idea of "suicide doors" is for street-side doors. If you are parallel parked on a city street, and a passing car hits your opening door as you try to enter or exit, a front-hinged door will rip away. A rear-hinged door, on the other hand, will slam onto you and possibly take you out at the knees and neck.

The other problem with rear-hinged door is if they are not latched, they will fly open when going down the road instead of being pressed closed. In the early days before seat belts, an open door was an invitation to fall out.
Someone said "Making good decisions comes from experience, experience comes from bad decisions." I say there are three kinds of people: those who learn from their mistakes, those who learn from the mistakes of others, and those who never learn.
Redbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 02:30 AM   #5

Year: 1975
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: GMC
Engine: 427
Rated Cap: 66

Hi,

Thanks to everyone for the vote of courage I some times feel like a lost soul thinking i was the one doing this. My latest project is learning electrical there is more stuff to learn there then doing the whole bus and of course I am not an electrition but learning. Other wise i am slowly putting things together. Eveyone that i have talked to has said that i dont need to change my suicide door on the bus. I was told if i left it i would be giving skoolies a bad name. I have had dreams about it coming open when we go down the road. I feel that I need to change it. I didnt pay much for the door and I can get another one at the same place i got that one for just about the same price. Please feel free to comment positive or negative I read all. this is a learning experience for me and input is very inportant in learning. when i did have a partner we were going to do this for others you know travel and help others with there skoolies but that went by the wayside. I miss him. Thanks again. Hugs L
Ladie Butterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 02:22 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Thomas

Welcome and great to see another lady here! With kids at that. I'm sure you'll find the site useful, tons of info here and 99% of the people are fantastic. I worry about Smitty though, I mean, anyone with a Kool-aid jar for an avatar has to be full of sugar. Oh, and post pictures often or he gets itchy.
Seeria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 06:12 PM   #7
Bus Nut

Year: 1981
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Ford B-600
Engine: Ford 370 Propane
Rated Cap: 48

I would leave the door. You did all that work, no need to do it again just to please others. Besides, lots of top-end custom cars have suicide doors to set them apart as being custom. If you have any questions regarding electricity, or anything else, don't hesitate to ask here, we try to be a helpful bunch. And yes, pictures are very helpful. Besides, like they say, a picture is worth a thousand words, and I for one don't like to read that much! Again, welcome to the board.
jkindt is offline   Reply With Quote