Old 07-06-2010, 08:45 PM   #11
Almost There
Year: 1991
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International
Engine: DTA 360, Fuller 6-speed
Rated Cap: 53
Re: Lane Conversion

I've been reading about WVO, not having looked into it before really. Sounds risky to me still and better suited to a throw-away engine. Horror stories of nozzles getting clogged and streaming fuel into the piston instead of atomizing it and burning a hole through it. Apparently there are kits with nozzles available for WVO conversions and the injectors should be occasionanlly pulled and tested. Also, with WVO being closer the the sg of water it's easier to get water into the fuel and needs more attention paid to keeping the filter drained. Otherwise rust in the injector spring can cause failure through rust and burn up the piston. Also, wvo is acidic and I believe there are additives to help with that, but it still requires more frequent oil changes.

Like with anything it appears to me there are a few hard-core enthusiasts for it that seem to know exactly how to not encounter trouble; a few haters who claim it eats everything it touches; fence sitters who don't know what to think and watch the fights bebtween the other two.

I'm a fence sitter, but if I had lots of family in the deep-fry restraunt business and a P30 with a 6.2 GM diesel, I would do it with the understanding that I may ruin the engine and have a backup because they are cheap. Not on my bus though. Good luck with it and I hope it works out.
My bus conversion
Will is offline   Reply With Quote