Old 11-12-2013, 11:04 PM   #21
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Engine: DT408
Re: Linus the 1992 Ward Senator

Since you're a lot farther than I and we have basically the same bus (I think yours is 14 window, mine 15 and mine is a 1995 AmTrans), I was wondering if the structural frames were galvanized or not and how is this thing welded together. I know I'm going to find out when I get the inside off but was wanting to begin thinking how to put another door in the side and close off the front door. The door from my donor travel trailer is 30" wide and I'm going to have to reset one of the side frames/window posts to do so. Keep up the great work!!
I am an sojourner in the earth; hide not Your Commandments from me. Psalm 119:19

Here is the patience of the saints; here are the ones keeping the commandments of YAHWEH, and the faith of Yahshua. Rev. 14:12
sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 03:52 PM   #22
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Ward Senator
Chassis: International 3900FC
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 84

Inkblots: We came to decide on the name Linus after Linus from Peanuts. He has always been our favorite character. And after going through alot of other possible names, Linus seemed to fit. He always seemed to be the voice of truth and reason, but still has the dreams and beliefs a kid should (still waiting for the great pumpkin to show up). Its that voice of reason and our dreams that has led us down this path were going on.

Sojourner: Awesome bus you have, my bus is 14 windows and 38' from bumper to bumper. It appears that the structural members are galvanized (they have that crystal like pattern on the surface), as for the welding, it seems that it has more spot welds than anything, and a metric crap ton of rivets.
Westward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 10:06 PM   #23
Mini-Skoolie

Here are the pics....

One of the wall panels with the insulation removed. When built, they used what seems like a urethane type adhesive to hold the insulation to the outer wall. What looks like rust in this pic is the yellow fiberglass residue left behind.

I took these photos on Tuesday night. Yeah that is snow on the window....it freakin snowed before thanksgiving in the piedmont of NC.....BRING IT!!

Ceiling panels removed, you can see the bracing in the roof. The braces that run the length of the bus, are of weaker metal and they had only 2 rivets on each side per panel. When I first saw that, I figured it was going to make it difficult to get the new board insulation in. But with it being open channel, it actually helps hold it in place. I'm going to use Great stuff to hit the cracks and crevices between the foam board and the bracing. I think it will also help to hold the insulation up to....like an adhesive....I'll have to get back to ya'll on that later.

So this is the suprise at the bottom of the cracker jack box. 2nd to last ceiling panel removed...the insulation was wet....took it down and there it was in its glorious orange iron oxide form....partially hidden behind the black tar like adhesive used to hold up the insulation. In the side to side rib the exterior sheet metal was riveted from the outside, though they only riveted the sheets at the front edge and back edge leaving a rib in the middle that they only put 2 rivets in. From the inside I could see daylight through a tiney hole, got up on the roof and found 2 rivet holes, the rivets were still there, but they had ripped through the sheet metal and had been that way since built I suppose.

Close up of the rusting. The holes now sealed, wire brush and some Ospho with a coat of paint will take care it before I put the insulation over it.

The rear curved metal removed, will insulate and turn into a cubby of sorts.

Front cubby area, will insulate and do the same. Have already seen some creative ways to utilize this space on some of the builds on here.

Emergency exit that is leaking. Would like to replace with a newer one, but have thought about removing this one and closing in the cut out. This exit would be over the master bed, so it would be nice to draw a breeze through the bedroom at night. but the cost of a new one is around $300....so any ideas??
Old 11-14-2013, 10:20 PM   #24
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Engine: 3126
Rated Cap: 72

And people wonder why we recommend removing the inner steel. I did not have that much water damage, but I did have a lot of mold behind the insulation.

visvi Cherokee for Journey, Sounds Like Oeesha

http://thejourneyvisvi.com/

My Conversion Thread:
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=464989
wmkbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 10:25 PM   #25
Mini-Skoolie

I feared the rust would be worse than it is.....I could tell before taking down that ceiling panel there was moisture behind it...the seam and rivets had some white crusty corrosion forming around them. Luckly no mold though....rust I can fix and deal with. But it is a chore, and then I realized I need to put up a substancial ceiling so I can attach my walls were I need them to be for the toilet and shower area. But its all good.........just part of the build and the fun that comes along with it!
Old 11-14-2013, 11:03 PM   #26
Skoolie

Year: 1974
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Supercoach
Engine: Detroit Diesel 6-71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westward
Inkblots: We came to decide on the name Linus after Linus from Peanuts. He has always been our favorite character. And after going through alot of other possible names, Linus seemed to fit. He always seemed to be the voice of truth and reason, but still has the dreams and beliefs a kid should (still waiting for the great pumpkin to show up). Its that voice of reason and our dreams that has led us down this path were going on.
Honestly I was hoping the character was the motivation, I am a fan of Peanuts myself. Well said, too.

I still can't believe this snow nonsense. This was from Tuesday night in Zebulon NC! Hello early winter!

This weather has really been sucking the motivation out of us as far as conversion work is concerned. We need to put the wood stove in before the big propane tank for our house runs out! Once that happens we'll most likely be staying in the bus and converting it at the same time because it'll be warmer than the house!

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=466562
inkblots84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 12:18 AM   #27
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15

So much for "Global Warming".
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 05:17 AM   #28
Site Team

Hang in there, its been between 14* and 20* this week....I hate cold weather more and more each year
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 06:31 AM   #29
Mini-Skoolie

The worst thing scientist ever did was call it global warming......global climate change is a better suited name that people would understand better....but thats what happens when politicians try and take science to better their position and line their wallets with more cash....no scientist has ever gotten rich from saying the climate is changing and their is a bipedal influence to it....but all those politicians and corporations have made HUGE money refuting it....just sayin'....

Bansil- I enjoy the cooler weather...atleast for now....till I get old and it starts to make Mr. Arthritis hurt.....
Old 11-15-2013, 07:42 AM   #30
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Engine: DT408

Hey Linus,
Thanks for the info and pics. Gonna be a challenge for me framing in the doorway and trying to weld the frame to the factory one for sure. I'll look into mechanical fasteners (try to find some high strength pop rivets or use threadserts with locktite). Bummer on the rust. Hopefully since mine came from W. TX I won't find much for surprises (although there are always some). I am also glad you mentioned the longitudinal bracing. I want the clerestory to be wider than the frames and will work around that for the portion of the bus that will have have it installed. I'm thinking the main purpose of it anyhow is to keep the inner roof panels from rattling. I hear you on the cold moving in early. It has here as well and I too just got a wood stove installed. Interesting "coincidence" is that solar activity is very quiet right now. Seems we get these things when the "woodstove in space" doesn't have as hot a fire going on and warms up here when the fire get's stoked. Climate is always changing. It's nothing new at all. The hype over the last few decades is just another way for the powers that currently be to make money from us off of chasing their tails.
I am an sojourner in the earth; hide not Your Commandments from me. Psalm 119:19

Here is the patience of the saints; here are the ones keeping the commandments of YAHWEH, and the faith of Yahshua. Rev. 14:12
sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote