Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-18-2014, 05:55 PM   #41
Skoolie

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Super Coach II, 36 Ft. RE
Engine: Cat 3208T, MT643
Re: Locutus' Skoolie Conversion: 1990 Crown Super Coach II

Jmar, I reply emailed to your PM.

Children drink kOOlaid, adults drink T.E.A.

Gallery: https://www.skoolie.net/gallery/v/Skooli ... +Coach+II/
Locutus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 06:22 PM   #42
Bus Crazy

Re: Locutus' Skoolie Conversion: 1990 Crown Super Coach II

I can fully appreciate your decision to move in a different direction.

The cost in time and materials to do a conversion is huge!

When my daughter was born I had a 1978 Crown A-426T-12 with a 6-71T and a 5-speed that was the last bus leftover from my bus company. The bus was a sweet running bus. I had used it on a daily service route for more than a couple of years and never put a dime in it beyond fuel and oil.

I had kept the bus when I shut down my business with the intention of converting it. But once my daughter was born I realized that even though I had the skill set to do most of the work I wouldn't have the time necessary to do the job correctly. I could just see my daughter graduating from medical school before the bus was completed.

So I sold the bus and now tow an Avion travel trailer that is almost as long as what my Crown was.

I still am able to be cocooned in aluminum, it just was never painted yellow.
cowlitzcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 11:59 PM   #43
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel Dan View Post
I'm sure the water heat in the floor would be the most comfortable option, but yes, you would pay a premium for that in both parts and labor. And I would worry about leaks, and the fact that if it did develop a problem, you may have to tear out your whole conversion to fix it. I spent the day in my bus the other day, and it was 25F outside. My portable propane heater kept me from freezing, but it was like 90 degrees at the ceiling and it felt like 50 degrees at the floor. My floor is barely insulated at all, so that is a large part of the problem, but I have to admit I was fantasizing about how wonderful it would feel to have in-floor heat.
I think its pretty doable, and definitely far less than $4000. Depends on size I guess and just how much you feel like running... But if you just did the main isle with 6-8 strands you're not talking that much in material. You wouldn't want radiant floor heating under your cabinets/appliances anyway.

As for leaks, get the whole system up and running and pressure test it. Make sure it can hold pressure overnight, etc. Then you should be good to go unless you do something to physically harm it. Put as many connectors as you can in an accessible location, just in case. But people install this in closed house walls all the time and it lasts longer than your bus probably will.

You can actually get by with cooler overall cabin temps and still feel comfortable when you have a nice warm floor to walk on.

As for the op, just noticed you're throwing in the skoolie towel. Not sure how you think a sailboat is going to cost less to own or maintain though. And you're right, you could get a crappy trailer and a crappy tow vehicle for less, but it wouldn't be as cool as a skoolie. Your choice tho, follow your gut.
Old 12-22-2014, 03:21 AM   #44
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
I have a buddy who lives in a Bluebird and he is trying to sell it to move into a sailboat also.
I grew up boating and had my fill of it then. But I can see the allure.
I couldn't afford a boat myself. I've settled for a land yacht!
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 07:12 PM   #45
Skoolie

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Super Coach II, 36 Ft. RE
Engine: Cat 3208T, MT643
Bus is sold!

And I actually made a profit on the deal. I had two buyers that bid up the price.

Now to turn the page to life's next chapter. Maybe a sailboat? Probably will start out with a trailerable day sailer. Moorage around here is outrageous. Or maybe join one of the local sailing clubs that has it's own fleet.

Thanks to everyone for your great input on some of the ideas I've run buy you here and in the Conversion Discussion pages.

Children drink kOOlaid, adults drink T.E.A.

Gallery: https://www.skoolie.net/gallery/v/Skooli ... +Coach+II/
Locutus is offline   Reply With Quote