Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-08-2016, 12:25 PM   #21
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
alternator noise in the radio... you can install a filter on the power leads of the radio that should help it out quite a bit..

-Christopher

cadillackid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 04:03 PM   #22
Almost There

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Ok, still looking for suggestions on the removal of the heaters.

As for my water setup, I'd ideally like a setup that will let me and my significant other be "off-grid" for an 8 day stretch. What tank size would you guys recommend for fresh/grey/black water? We will not be putting in a standing shower, just a metal trough for "whores baths", ie. wand while squatting

I'm also flip flopping on fridge type. I only want a half fridge, but theres a good chunk of you who have electrical only fridges. That would be a pain to run off a generator for an 8 day stretch. My old 1972 triple mimac has a propane fridge and its worked great . Never blew out the pilot going down the highway so it was always cold, regardless of our travels. Are new propane fridges really that bad? There was a thread where the guy said his propane fridge generated so much heat he took it out. I dont remember any heat coming from mine in my old RV. Did he just have poor venting?

I just want a simple propane system (tank, water heater, potentially fridge, and stove) and a simple battery system that would be 12 volt lights/stereo, with a generator for plugs and the roof mounted A/C. For running a 13,500 BTU AC, I know I need a min.3100 watt generator, but what about inverter/converter size?
-cycosis- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 06:15 PM   #23
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: HDX
Engine: Cat C7
Rated Cap: 84 passenger
Quote:
Originally Posted by -cycosis- View Post

These are the heaters Im up against. They run the length of the bus on each side. I have not come across another thread that had the same type of heaters.

Suggestions for eventual removal?
Leave the heaters in. Just replace the heat source with hydronic heaters.

I'd go with 50 gal grey/potable tanks and have already installed a composting toilet. Those require NO external tankage, only peat moss.
CaptSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 12:56 PM   #24
Almost There

Whats a good source for water tanks? I dont think I can afford $500 for a 100 gallon fresh water tank....
Old 07-01-2016, 01:08 PM   #25
Bus Crazy

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Crown / Pusher
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
Quote:
Whats a good source for water tanks? I dont think I can afford $500 for a 100 gallon fresh water tank....
Craigslist, just keep looking & one day it may magically appear, I keep going back everyday & putting RV parts in the search & one day I saw a Bounder being parted out ran over & got 2ea 24 gal propane tanks & a 100gal freshwater tank.
Stu & Filo. T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 10:16 PM   #26
Bus Nut

Year: 1984
Engine: 366 Big block Chevy! :) w/ Stick shift
My heater doesnt run the full length but a good distance and i just left em. Even left a rear seat to protect a rear heater and it came in super handy to support the front end of my work bench

and yes i second the magic of Craigslist
Carytowncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 10:34 PM   #27
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Keep an eye on Ebay...I found a perfect fit for about 25% of the going rate.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 01:58 PM   #28
Almost There

Thx for the insight
Old 07-05-2016, 04:26 PM   #29
Almost There

Black water tanks! I have a couple local plastic molding companies that have given me some good quotes on polyethylene tanks. They are cubic though with no slope. Should I really bite the bullet and buy a sloped RV black tank or do you think it is wise to try and save, and buy a regular cubed tank and add slope via the mounting brackets?

Old 07-15-2016, 03:22 PM   #30
Almost There

Still in parts acquisition mode. I have about 50% of the seats out and a stereo system wired in temporarily for by bachelor trip at the end of the month . Pretty hastily done.

Any tips for roof vents with fans that are not $300 +??????

Managed to score a Dometic Penguin 13500 BTU unit + control panel for $800 CAD delivered Was only test fit once on a trailer before a customer changed his mind.

Also scored a Dickinson 12000 propane heater for $900 CAD delivered too!!

Old 07-15-2016, 04:05 PM   #31
Almost There

Electrical question: If I have no plans to hookup a TV/microwave and I dont need to have outlets running when the bus is driving, do I really need an inverter?

I will be running off either shore power or generator. I am not doing a solar setup.
Old 07-15-2016, 08:09 PM   #32
Bus Nut

Quote:
Electrical question: If I have no plans to hookup a TV/microwave and I dont need to have outlets running when the bus is driving, do I really need an inverter?

I will be running off either shore power or generator. I am not doing a solar setup.
The only reason you need an inverter is wanting 120 VAC while not connected to shore or generator power. How will you charge your house batteries?
BusFiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 09:36 PM   #33
Almost There

Quote:
Originally Posted by BusFiend View Post
The only reason you need an inverter is wanting 120 VAC while not connected to shore or generator power. How will you charge your house batteries?
Shore, generator, and hopefully via alternator when driving? I assume that's possible.

This rig is going to be setup more for festivals where it's noisy all the time, not family friendly or retiree quiet campgrounds
Old 07-16-2016, 01:23 AM   #34
Bus Nut

Quote:
Shore, generator, and hopefully via alternator when driving? I assume that's possible.

This rig is going to be setup more for festivals where it's noisy all the time, not family friendly or retiree quiet campgrounds
You can do all of these things!

Good luck!
BusFiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 11:21 AM   #35
Almost There

Bus Seats finally out! Wedding planning has progressed enough to have a comfortable green light for distractions Feels so good to make progress.

Couple things. I have started to attack the roof rivets on the inside with an air hammer. Damn its tough! About 30 seconds/rivet head. Any tips? Or is that normal? I have been punching out the mandrel first.

Second, anyone know of an ospho equivalent here in Calgary Canada? Cant track anything down and I need to treat my outside spots ASAP as they are getting worse.

3rd Question: Has anyone done a roof raise below the windows and kept the windows in during the raise? I dont want to remove my windows. I like them. I am not full timing. But Im 6'5" and woudlnt mind 4 inches.

Old 09-11-2016, 08:16 AM   #36
Almost There

http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f11/3-...ona-12833.html He is keeping the bus windows and made the cut below the windows for the roof raise. Good luck on your build!
superduty_59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 08:50 PM   #37
Bus Nut

Year: 1990
Coachwork: BB
Engine: Cummins
Rated Cap: 25.999K
Same page.

You're building my bus. Starting from the same platform. Only difference i see that you want, and what i want, is I'm not committing to a roof raise just yet. I'm 6-3, and hit my head constantly, so maybe once i smack it a few more times, I may change my tune...
SDR76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 09:16 AM   #38
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by superduty_59 View Post
http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f11/3-...ona-12833.html He is keeping the bus windows and made the cut below the windows for the roof raise. Good luck on your build!

theres another one.. they are not here on the forums but it was done with a raise cut below the windows.. in fact they left the rib on below the windows and used it as a guide to cut and allowed their roof to not skew.. of course as always you have to use straps or such to keep the roof from spreading.. but it looked to me like a pretty straightforward way if there is sich a thing to raise a roof..

fortunately mny "curse" of being only 5'9" is a blessing in the bus world so my 6'6" ceiling I have no issues in standing up

-Christopher
cadillackid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 11:51 AM   #39
Almost There

No longer doing a roof raise. I scored two great huge sky lights for the front galley (kitchen area) and I will chopping the back half roof off and building a wooden cabin-esque loft IMO the weirder looking the better!

Old 09-16-2016, 12:40 AM   #40
Almost There

Coachwork: Corbeil - RAMROD
Chassis: IH 3800 66 Pass
Engine: 7.3 IH IDI NA w AT545 hyd
Hey dude! Glad you're chugging along with your build. Let me help you out with a ton of advice that I've either gleaned from here or learned from mistakes as I go.

First - get a 60-80 grit flap wheel (10 pack) for your 4.5" grinder. Crappy tire has a sale on or P Auto is your friend. Then it only takes 10 secs a rivet and does a WAY nicer job. Finally you get a steel punch and a hammer and knock them out once you've ground them flush.

COVER all of your windows - so that sparks from grinding don't hit them. I effed up my drivers mirror because I was "watching" my sparks and then forgot when I leaned out of the window a couple back and shot a tirade of sparks forward. Fack!

I've got quite a few other tidbits but that's the best start.

Shoot me a text and we can chat more.
I'd like to take a look at that bus in person - it's pretty sweet.
slidewayzm5 is offline   Reply With Quote