Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-23-2017, 11:00 AM   #1

Looking at buses to buy...Rust on Frame

I was looking at a bus to buy and the salesman sent me photos of the underbelly. He said that the rust is not bad and 'just surface rust'...but the pics seem like a lot of deep frame rust to me.

The pics of the outside of the bus seem pretty clean...except around the bottom of the door...the door rust doesn't really bother me.... I just don't want be driving down the road and have the frame crack in half. I also don't want to have to buy or rent an air compressor and needle scaler to get a bunch of rust off.

My budget is pretty low...so I know any bus I find in my price range will have some rust...I'm just looking for opinions on the rust on this particular vehicle...

Edit: It seems like there is not a lot of rust on the underside of the floor...as far as I can see from the pics...but if your skin is perfect but your bones are brittle that's major cause for concern...!
Attached Thumbnails
1.jpg   2.jpg   3.jpg   4.jpg  

Carrita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 11:12 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Key word is "salesman".
That's a rust bucket. RUN away. Where you located?
Looks like snow on the ground?!
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 11:33 AM   #3
Traveling

Year: 2003
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: '00
Looks like you need to keep looking. Those are the pics the salesman though showed no rust, think about the other pics he didn't send.

Black paint flaking-off is fine, but when steel starts swelling and separating into layers...time to kick more tires.
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 11:37 AM   #4

Thanks...that's what I thought...it didn't look like 'surface rust' to me.

I'm located in Arkansas but the bus is in New York...I'm having trouble finding anything near me.

I have tried to look in desert areas like Arizona...I just have such a low budget...
Old 03-24-2017, 07:35 PM   #5
Skoolie

Chassis: Sold
There are times that if you buy something cheap, mediocre condition by the time your done fixing things you would have been ahead to pay more up front.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
jctrembly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 07:41 PM   #6
Skoolie

Cheap, call up each school district (county) in WV and ask:
1. Do you have any buses for sale
2. How/Where do you list them.

The buses are State owned here and pretty well maintained. When they sell them they will be older and depending on how much snow that bus lives in will determine the rust. I believe some buses still go for $1-2K. Most all older ones will be DT466 (of some kind) or a 5.9L with a Manual or Auto tranny. The price will be low, and they will most likely be happy to share the entire Maintenance record. It will require a little let work on your end calling around though. One place to start is the school district with Morgantown WV. They have more $$ than other schools so they don't keep there busses as long. Oh, DT466, DT466E are good, DO NOT GET a Maxforce DT.

Old 03-24-2017, 11:14 PM   #7
Bus Crazy

Year: 1989
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner ER
Engine: 3208 CAT/MT643 tranny
Rated Cap: 87
Maxforce is a boat anchor, a real piece of garbage. I drive those in the Katy ISD fleet every once in a while. Total junk engine.
Old 03-25-2017, 04:35 AM   #8
Skoolie

of equal concern is that leak on the fuel tank...it should not be wet. looks like the straps might be wearing into the tank.
100MPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 06:30 AM   #9
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Maxxforce DT = halfway decent, Maxxforce 7 = JUNK!!!
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 07:05 AM   #10
Skoolie

The Non-EGR 466E was used untill 2003.
2004-2006 the 466E with EGR came out. Problems develop after 120K due to EGR
2007-2009 Maxforce DT- Part Junk Engine
2010-2015 Maxforce DT- such a junk engine they stopped production.

Yes, the 2007-2009 were the better of the two, but for a skoolie I would stay away from the 2004+ 466/Maxforce as we normally don't have the maintenance budget as a fleet. Just my opinion, nothing else and yes I have drove both in school busses and had to fight with both.

The good thing is the 5.9l Cummins didn't have near the emission problems. But I would avoid anything with Emissions. The truck I drive now is a Novermber 2012, 8.9 Cummins IXL at 250k miles the Engine is great but Ryder Truck has already dumped $20K+ worth of injectors, DPF filters, EGR, intercooler, and the like. This truck is used 90% interstate, not stop and go.

Oh, the photos if that NY Bus... They would never allow that to be used by a school system in WV. We have separate state Inspectors who sole job is to inspect state school buses. Takes them about 2hrs per bus. While our school system isn't ranked well national, our transportation is in the top 3 of the US. Go figure right.

Old 03-25-2017, 07:08 AM   #11
Bus Geek

Yeah, kinda like cars and motorcycles- the epa made everything expensive and disposable right around 2004.

A lot of bus virgins come on here thinking they got a really good deal on a later model bus, only to find out they got hosed.
Its mainly due to folks thinking newer is better. It used to be, but not anymore.
I'd rather have a 1992 bus than a 2012 bus for the same money.
Old 03-25-2017, 08:47 AM   #12
Bus Nut

Plenty of buses in Oklahoma.Other states around you as well.

1998 Ford B700 Thomas body 65 passenger. 5.9 Cummins 12 valve with MT643 Transmission 123,000 miles.
Versatile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 09:12 AM   #13
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: AmTran International
Chassis: 3800
Engine: Navistar 7.6L
So how much moolah were they asking for this bucket of iron oxide?
DoubleO7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 12:39 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleO7 View Post
So how much moolah were they asking for this bucket of iron oxide?
They wanted $2895...but I think that was negotiable.
Old 03-29-2017, 12:48 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jctrembly View Post
Cheap, call up each school district (county) in WV and ask:
1. Do you have any buses for sale
2. How/Where do you list them.

The buses are State owned here and pretty well maintained. When they sell them they will be older and depending on how much snow that bus lives in will determine the rust. I believe some buses still go for $1-2K. Most all older ones will be DT466 (of some kind) or a 5.9L with a Manual or Auto tranny. The price will be low, and they will most likely be happy to share the entire Maintenance record. It will require a little let work on your end calling around though. One place to start is the school district with Morgantown WV. They have more $$ than other schools so they don't keep there busses as long. Oh, DT466, DT466E are good, DO NOT GET a Maxforce DT.

Thanks...I'll check out WV. I have since found a NC website and they have some cheaper buses as well. Although a bus salesman in FL said NC buses are governed to 45 and the min speed in FL is 50 (in 70mph zones). I don't think that's such a big deal...all the other states are 45 at the most. Although I would prefer a bus that is not governed.

I have found zoomthelist.com...so I can search Craig's list better. I have found a few buses closer.
Old 03-29-2017, 05:18 AM   #16
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrita View Post
Thanks...I'll check out WV. I have since found a NC website and they have some cheaper buses as well. Although a bus salesman in FL said NC buses are governed to 45 and the min speed in FL is 50 (in 70mph zones). I don't think that's such a big deal...all the other states are 45 at the most. Although I would prefer a bus that is not governed.

I have found zoomthelist.com...so I can search Craig's list better. I have found a few buses closer.
Dealers in FL will hold your hand, look you in the eye, and cuddle you while you pay them 2,3,4 times the price.

My Colorado bus will do 75 if the road is long and flat enough.
Old 03-29-2017, 07:52 AM   #17
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
if a bus has an 'E' engine... T-444E, DT-466E in it then the speed governor is easily removed from the computer. as long as the Rear end gearing and tire-size are such that the bus can travel faster..

I drive back and forth from florida to Ohio regularly.. sometimes I take the eastern route up through NC.. and ive seen plenty of school busses on the highway running faster than 45...

EC's colorado bus is great, my Texas Bus does just about 75 on flat ground also..

a point on the newer stuff.. - some school districts are going back to Gasoline or Propane Powered Busses simply because they cost less in overall maintenance, and operation than a modern 2007 / 2008 and newer Diesel...

I buy szome parts from my Navistar dealer in Columbus Ohio.. and seems every time i go in there to buiy something.. theres at l;east a few IC school busses either sitting on a Tow-Rig or in the service bays...

most districts the size of COlumbus (700+ busses)will repair the strictly mechanical and even the minor computer related stuff themselves.. so those in the dealer are likely complex expensive failures..

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
frame, rust