Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9 Cummins 12v
Rated Cap: 78 Passenger
Re: Ludicrous Speed

Ok lets get up to date, shall we?

I was getting a little frustrated with the selection of RV windows I had available, as I only had one single-pane window, and needed 3, one for each bunk, and one over the sink (since a double pane one would wind up behind the countertop's backsplash.)

My dear friend, Stretch, suggested something that sounded absurd... perfectly ludicrous! Since I had several extra double pane windows, he said "Why not just cut them down?" Why not indeed!

Windows in its original form is on the right. Resulting window beside it.

I had to remove the screws holding the top of the frame to the sides.

Removed the top of the frame.

I then marked the side frames for cutting. I measured from the rivet holding the top window pane to the top of the frame, marked the same distance up from the bottom window's rivet (rivets are on the "exterior" side of the window's frame - depth wise). I then measured from this mark to the top edge of the frame, and marked the same distance on the "interior" side, and created a diagonal line that matches the angle of the top of the side frames.

Drilled out the rivets holding the top window in, and since it was still attached to the arms that actuate the window, rotated the window out of the way for cutting.

I used a cutoff wheel to cut the side rails. I cut right through the actuating bar for the top window while I was at it.

Reattached the top frame using the same screws I took out and Viola! A single pane window!

"What's the matter Col Sanders? Chicken?" -Dark Helmet

lu·di·crous [loo-di-kruhs]
adjective
causing laughter because of absurdity; provoking or deserving derision; ridiculous; laughable

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=11840
TheRainbowBoxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 06:49 PM   #182
Bus Nut

Next --- Painting the roof. We already used the hytech ceramics in the paint on the floor prior to installing the subfloor, but we were really interested in how much of a difference it would make on the roof.

In my own personal experience - believe the hype. This stuff works! Barb had painted 3/4 of the roof before taking a break, and after an hour of the painted section sitting in the blazing sun, I went inside the bus and felt the ribs where the paint was already applied. These felt the same temp as the metal in between, and compared it with the unpainted section, which I could barely hold my hand on.

Barb washing the roof in prep for paint.

Rustoleum white industrial with Hytech beads added.

Barb discovered that going to town for a roller was worth the effort.

The combination of the white color and the insulating beads has made an astounding difference on the ceiling temp.

adjective
causing laughter because of absurdity; provoking or deserving derision; ridiculous; laughable

Old 07-23-2012, 07:19 PM   #183
Bus Nut

While the roof painting was going on, I was in the process of creating some bunks.

I used lag bolts to secure flat 2x4s to the floor in the footprint of the bunks. Then, I attached 2 studs on the front and back of each set of bunks. Getting these to be straight and plumb was a real challenge! I marked the height of the outer (hence - shorter) stud on the inner one, and measured the distance between the studs at the top and bottom, as well as an x measurement each way, from inner stud bottom to outer stud top, and from outer stud bottom to inner stud at the mark previously mentioned. Using a square, I made sure the walls were at least square to the floor. The studs were attached to the floor and ceiling using 1" angle brackets (lots of them LOL). Eventually the studs will get some paneling, and the walls will get some fiberglass batting insulation.

Footprint going in.

Wall studs installed.

I then built the frame that will hold the bottom bunk. This is made out of 2x4s on edge with a 2x2 "ridge" around the bottom inside for plywood to lie on. The mattresses will sit on the plywood.

We then framed and attached the top bunks. These will eventually be able to be tipped up and latched to allow people to comfortably sit on the bottom bunks, but the camping trip was looming, so I temporarily mounted them solid using more angle brackets. These are pics of test fitting the mattresses to make sure we liked the height etc.

My wife, her mom, and my sister sewed up some covers out of some garage sale curtains for the foam we salvaged from the old camper!

The bunks as they were used on our camping trip.

adjective

Old 07-23-2012, 07:39 PM   #184
Site Team

Good show! I liked last pic....bet the kids had a ball w/their own "bed" shining flashlights at each other
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 07:58 PM   #185
Bus Nut

One of the major non-negotiable requirements that were understood when we embarked on this project was that my wife would NOT be camping in a yellow bus. Thus, the day before we went camping seemed like a great time to paint the bus! I would recommend anyone who is doing this particular part of the project to allow yourselves a bit more time. This was a very exhausting day.

We masked off the bus...

...and masked off the bus...

...etc. etc. etc.

Major thanks go out to Stretch for doing the bulk of the painting while I was finishing the masking.

We went with all white for now, with plans to add our green stripes / accents later (see above requirement).

..and the bus is no longer yellow!

Note the old motorhome in the barn... so glad to not be camping in that anymore!

My wife is happy, which makes everyone happy.

adjective

Old 07-23-2012, 08:06 PM   #186
Bus Nut

Camping! We spent the better part of a week camping with our friends (Stretch and his family). My parents, sister, nephews, and other friends came out for a few days as well. A good time was had by all! The bus performed admirably

My wife's requirement for next year's camping trip is running water. Maybe we will try to tackle that earlier than the day before we leave ;)

adjective

Old 07-23-2012, 08:28 PM   #187
Bus Crazy

Year: 1973
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American
Engine: CAT 1160 V-8 Diesel
Rated Cap: 72

An all white bus does look nice.
Old 07-24-2012, 12:01 PM   #188
Bus Crazy

looks nice..
Old 07-24-2012, 04:18 PM   #189
Bus Nut

Year: 94
Coachwork: b/b
Chassis: tc2000
Engine: 5.9
Rated Cap: 72

i like the side door,but with belly bays i can't do that and beside my bathroom is there.but your looks good ,,,i use the side door has a mooner door for the craper....
keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 05:40 PM   #190
Bus Crazy

Year: 1976
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Supercoach
Engine: Detroit 6-71 Mid-Ship Mounted
Rated Cap: 79 at Birth

Love the bus and camping pictures...and the bus looks great