Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 07-18-2015, 04:18 PM   #211
Bus Geek
 
Tango's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 6,170
Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Humidity above about 50% makes particle board swell up. Any real moisture and it just crumbles. Hate to say it but there's really no place for it in an RV. Same with wooden floors (as you have discovered). A little wet stuff and it goes kablooey. As much as I love real wood, Vinyl or rubber are still the best bet for floors.

PS...all my plywood is or will be marine grade for the reasons above. It also helps if it is correctly installed. i.e.,...with proper allowances all around for the expansion/contraction that naturally occurs. Most folks thing "tight is right"...not so. The OSB we used at my studio is labeled..."1/8" Ends - 1/4" Edges" regarding spacing. You need about the same for conventional plywood or don't be surprised when it buckles.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 04:23 PM   #212
Bus Nut
 
TheRainbowBoxer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Galion, OH
Posts: 290
Year: 1995
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9 Cummins 12v
Rated Cap: 78 Passenger
For a while we were content to go on trips and camping just using extension cords to run everything, covering them with a carpet where they crossed the floor. But as we began to close more walls in, it became important to get the 120v wiring in place. Most the the wiring runs came from a 100ft 12 gauge extension cord I bought on sale for $70. Since 12 gauge stranded wire was going for about $1.40 a foot at the time, I saved about 50% on my wire! Score!

The electrical entrance / management center is eventually going to be where the steps from the original folding door are now.



This big bunch of wire is pretty much the main feed before the circuits scatter to the 4 corners of the bus.



I tagged the wires on both ends so I would know which circuit was which, since tracing would otherwise require I take the dining room wall panels back off.



I then put in some junction boxes under the sink to manage the wiring connections. All 120v connections are clamped in a junction box, soldered, wire nutted, and tight taped. Needless to say, I don't want anything coming loose! I also drew schematics on the junction box covers to remind me what is what.



I used pvc conduit to run under the bus so we don't have to have extension cords across the aisle anymore. I used more of my favorite roofing caulk to seal the places where the floor is breached against water and bugs / rodents.



Here is where the wires come back up into the bus for the fridge, microwave, a couple dining room outlets, and....



A skirt / outdoor outlet!


__________________
-Dan

"What's the matter Col Sanders? Chicken?" -Dark Helmet

lu·di·crous [loo-di-kruhs]
adjective
causing laughter because of absurdity; provoking or deserving derision; ridiculous; laughable

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=11840
TheRainbowBoxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 04:33 PM   #213
Bus Crazy
 
Scooternj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: EHT New Jersey
Posts: 1,134
Year: 2003
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: International 3000RE
Engine: T444E/AT545
Rated Cap: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
PS...all my plywood is or will be marine grade for the reasons above. It also helps if it is correctly installed. i.e.,...with proper allowances all around for the expansion/contraction that naturally occurs. Most folks thing "tight is right"...not so. The OSB we used at my studio is labeled..."1/8" Ends - 1/4" Edges" regarding spacing. You need about the same for conventional plywood or don't be surprised when it buckles.
I needed that advice, since I was planning on using real ply as well, instead of OSB.

As for flooring, I was thinking of using this:

Wood grain anti-fatigue mats
__________________
Hey! That's not an RV, that's a school bus.
Well thank you for noticing, Captain Obvious

Captain Obvious on deviantArt
Scooternj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 04:54 PM   #214
Bus Crazy
 
milkmania's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Oklahoma aka "God's blind spot"
Posts: 2,241
Year: 1989
Coachwork: 1853FC International/Navistar
Chassis: 35' Retired Air Force Ambulance
Engine: DT466, MT643
Rated Cap: 6 souls and a driver
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
Humidity above about 50% makes particle board swell up. Any real moisture and it just crumbles. Hate to say it but there's really no place for it in an RV. Same with wooden floors (as you have discovered). A little wet stuff and it goes kablooey. As much as I love real wood, Vinyl or rubber are still the best bet for floors.

PS...all my plywood is or will be marine grade for the reasons above. It also helps if it is correctly installed. i.e.,...with proper allowances all around for the expansion/contraction that naturally occurs. Most folks thing "tight is right"...not so. The OSB we used at my studio is labeled..."1/8" Ends - 1/4" Edges" regarding spacing. You need about the same for conventional plywood or don't be surprised when it buckles.
I removed all the marine grade plywood from my ski boat, and replaced it with HDPE Sheets.... no mo wood in my boat





even marine grade plywood has a short life span in wet environments

so, I fought off mother nature!
__________________
I once complained I had no shoes....
Until I met a man with no feet
milkmania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 05:19 PM   #215
Bus Nut
 
TheRainbowBoxer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Galion, OH
Posts: 290
Year: 1995
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9 Cummins 12v
Rated Cap: 78 Passenger
So... on to the bunk room walls! We cut 2 regular 24" doors to a height that would work in the bus and started cutting out wall board to match that blasted roof curve. I love my curved roof for looks and lack of water pooling up top, but its a real pain to match it with the wall board lol. Here is the door and one wall mocked up.




Insulated the walls of the bunk room with foil faced fiberglass. The intent was as much for sound deadening as for retaining (or keeping out) heat, but it did a great job of keeping the bunk room toasty on our most recent trip.




Finished the wall between the master bedroom and bunk room!



Looking good if I do say so myself!



And with 7 foot long bunks, even us tallish guys can take a break!

__________________
-Dan

"What's the matter Col Sanders? Chicken?" -Dark Helmet

lu·di·crous [loo-di-kruhs]
adjective
causing laughter because of absurdity; provoking or deserving derision; ridiculous; laughable

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=11840
TheRainbowBoxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 05:28 PM   #216
Bus Crazy
 
milkmania's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Oklahoma aka "God's blind spot"
Posts: 2,241
Year: 1989
Coachwork: 1853FC International/Navistar
Chassis: 35' Retired Air Force Ambulance
Engine: DT466, MT643
Rated Cap: 6 souls and a driver

looks great and it looks like a lot of work going on too!!!



Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRainbowBoxer View Post
So... on to the bunk room walls! We cut 2 regular 24" doors to a height that would work in the bus and started cutting out wall board to match that blasted roof curve. I love my curved roof for looks and lack of water pooling up top, but its a real pain to match it with the wall board lol. Here is the door and one wall mocked up.




Insulated the walls of the bunk room with foil faced fiberglass. The intent was as much for sound deadening as for retaining (or keeping out) heat, but it did a great job of keeping the bunk room toasty on our most recent trip.




Finished the wall between the master bedroom and bunk room!



Looking good if I do say so myself!



And with 7 foot long bunks, even us tallish guys can take a break!

__________________
I once complained I had no shoes....
Until I met a man with no feet
milkmania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 05:37 PM   #217
Bus Geek
 
EastCoastCB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Eustis FLORIDA
Posts: 12,176
Year: 1992
Coachwork: Ward/AmTran
Chassis: International
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 78
REAL marine grade plywood is 'spensive!

Marine Plywood Grades and Specifications

Boat Builder Central - products

OP- Nice to see pics of folks living in, and enjoying their buses.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 05:43 PM   #218
Bus Nut
 
TheRainbowBoxer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Galion, OH
Posts: 290
Year: 1995
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9 Cummins 12v
Rated Cap: 78 Passenger
Up until now we had been using a folding table in the middle of the dinette for food and games... but it was a real bear to get around and wasn't big enough to really do much with.



I measured the seating area in about every direction you can imagine, and mocked tables up with cardboard etc. to make sure we wound up with tables we would be happy with.

I bought a couple recessed table bases and 27 1/2" legs. We already had table bases from the old camper, and I figured they would work fine for the underside of the table tops.

After verifying I wasn't going to cut into anything vital under the bus, I had my son Sam use a cheap hole saw to cut through the vinyl flooring and subfloor.





I then drilled little holes all the way around the hole and cut a starter hole through the galvanized steel with the one carbide hole saw I own. After that I used a jigsaw to finish the hole.




I then put a bead of, once again, roofing caulk around the hole and pressed in the base. I screwed it to the floor using stainless screws.




We bought a 4x8 sheet of 3/4" plywood with a nice birch veneer and cut it into two table tops.



We had a friend route the edges and radius 2 corners on each table to make exit from the dinette easier. I had the (in my humble opinion) brilliant idea to edge the plywood with plastidip... the paint you dip tool handles into. It worked awesome and wasn't terribly expensive!



The tables were a little wobbly, so I attached a piece of angle bracket, sourced from a garage door hardware packet I saved, onto the wall side edge of each table, and used recessed "T" nuts and thumb screws to attach them to the wall, and still allow them to be removed. Finished product!



I also added a couple of RV style lights above the dinette, as the led domes are a little too dim for gaming.
__________________
-Dan

"What's the matter Col Sanders? Chicken?" -Dark Helmet

lu·di·crous [loo-di-kruhs]
adjective
causing laughter because of absurdity; provoking or deserving derision; ridiculous; laughable

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=11840
TheRainbowBoxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 05:55 PM   #219
Bus Nut
 
TheRainbowBoxer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Galion, OH
Posts: 290
Year: 1995
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9 Cummins 12v
Rated Cap: 78 Passenger
We have taken the bus in various states of completion to several places...

Multiple trips to the annual Steel Soldiers military vehicle off road rally in Southeast Indiana, where we also play around with our modified race/offroad lawnmowers.





Several camping trips with family and friends!




To Niagara Falls in Canada with another couple for an early 20th anniversary trip!





And many other trips! We are getting our money and sweat's worth out of our bus!
__________________
-Dan

"What's the matter Col Sanders? Chicken?" -Dark Helmet

lu·di·crous [loo-di-kruhs]
adjective
causing laughter because of absurdity; provoking or deserving derision; ridiculous; laughable

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=11840
TheRainbowBoxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 07:59 PM   #220
Bus Geek
 
EastCoastCB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Eustis FLORIDA
Posts: 12,176
Year: 1992
Coachwork: Ward/AmTran
Chassis: International
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 78
Very awesome!
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
want just a bit more speed opus International | Navistar Drivetrain 47 03-13-2015 12:03 AM
Replace 5 speed spicer with 7 speed spicer (double O/D) frank-id International | Navistar Drivetrain 2 02-13-2011 08:17 PM
speed putterspitt Short-Bus Conversion Projects 7 12-14-2009 12:30 AM
4 speed + H and L? the_experience03 Conversion General Discussions 4 09-27-2006 01:04 PM
1986 bluebird DT466/5 Speed man/2 speed rear code4 Classifieds | Buy, Sell, Swap 2 08-15-2006 12:29 AM

» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:15 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.