Old 12-29-2014, 02:16 PM   #31
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1980
Chassis: Thomas
Engine: Catapiller
The smaller frame there is for a skylight above the shower/tub.
Gwenweiss22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 02:34 PM   #32
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Lookin' good guys! --- Can't wait to see the second story in place.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 01:49 AM   #33
Skoolie

Ambitious build. I like it.
Old 01-17-2015, 07:04 PM   #34
Mini-Skoolie

Wink

Well, lots happening with this lady over here. We have her skylight and camper shell mounted, the bathtub (more like a shower) just arrived and I'm avidly searching for a wood stove and kitchen stove. It just rained over here (Sonoma County,CA) and so I was able to see where some leaks are before I insulate. AWESOME! I am pretty damn grateful for the rain right now. Better now than when I've got my roof panelling in!

When we cracked into the roof some of the overlaying seams cracked a bit. I just bought a ton of caulking used for boats (thanks Guisepi for the tip!) and am going to go on top of the roof and seal up all the seams up there. The skylight and camper make it feel so amazing and different in there. It is coming alive! SO damn excited, I think about it day and night and night and day. (you have no idea what I'm talking about...right? )

Below are some photos, kind of hard to capture what it feels like in there, but you get the idea. Next steps, seal up everything on roof, decide on what kind of insulation I am going to use, then insulate it, and put up the roof panels!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg camper shell.jpg (369.0 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg campershell.jpg (461.8 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg skylight.jpg (268.5 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg skylight2.jpg (204.4 KB, 10 views)
Old 01-11-2016, 08:11 PM   #35
Mini-Skoolie

Hey man! Good looking build. Hope it didn't end and fall out! Where in Santa Rosa are you? I'm in Rohnert Park!

Hope the bus build going well!
Pshots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 09:11 PM   #36
Mini-Skoolie

Hey! Still working on Margarit!

Hey! I am still working on her... Too late to turn back now! I have not posted in a while, but will be posting photos soon. Let's see each other's buses! My email is gwenweiss22@gmail shoot me an email.
Old 03-06-2016, 04:43 PM   #37
Mini-Skoolie

Window leak MANIA! HELP!

Hey Folks.

I am still going over here in Nor-cal. Getting a lot of rain, and thinking to myself I might take a different route than I was planning about the windows. Almost every single window is leaking, even though I have caulked them all numerous times. I have been pretty frustrated...and then currently pretty calm and figuring it out. I was planning on covering up a few windows. Now I am considering taking out all the windows, spending the time to put sheet metal over all the windows and then adding quite a few other windows that are leak free! I have some questions...I have a 1980 33 foot Thomas Built deisel pusher with a Cat engine. She is great, but old, and windows DONT want to stop leaking.

1. Is it possible to put any other kind of windows into a bus, or do I need RV windows? Will other windows break when I drive them? I'd like as much natural light as I can get. Any leads on websites or people to call for new windows? Inexpensive...if possible? But quality is more important.

2. Is there any great way to get super old bus windows to stop leaking? Like a fool proof way? The leaks are coming in at numerous places. Where the frames meet the bus, where the window meets the frame, where the window slide splits... Each window is improving as I've been working nearly non stop on it, but we just got a storm and it got soaked in there.

3. Does anyone with an older bus have a good experience of leaving the windows in? Or do I need to stop being niave and just remove the windows?

Well, if anyone has any ideas, thoughts please holler back at me!

In the mean time, here is where I am at currently in the bus. In photos below...

The photo attachement thing keeps not working, a few posted...So, I'll have to do that later. I do have an instagram account that I update all the time... it's MagicBusLife

Thank you for reading!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bus selfie.JPG (222.7 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg bus back.JPG (589.1 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg front bus.JPG (714.4 KB, 6 views)
Old 03-06-2016, 05:03 PM   #38
Mini-Skoolie

Heres some more photos!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bus front transformation.jpg (416.0 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg bus mess.jpg (276.9 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg bus side.jpg (189.9 KB, 5 views)
Old 03-06-2016, 06:57 PM   #39
Bus Geek

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC 1000
Engine: 5.9
Send a message via Yahoo to Robin97396
The design of windows varies greatly. Some just leak, and I've gotten rid of one bus for that very reason. Didn't like the way that one drove either.

If insulation concerns you at all you'll need better windows in my opinion, not to mention getting away from the leaking.

Personally I've bought RV windows from the junk yard as opposed to something from Lowe's or Home Depot made for a stick built house.

On the other hand people on this site seem to have used household windows with great success. The household windows seem to be fine with good stout steel frames to minimize flexing.

Here in NW Oregon I've lived in this bus for the past several months during the coldest part of the year. My bus windows haven't leaked but they do seem to suck the heat out of this tin can, and during freezing weather it takes an impressive amount of heat to be comfortable. Then again due to timing this is a completely natural bus without added insulation at this time, so there in lies the problem during this winter.
Robin97396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 08:48 PM   #40
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Ward/AmTran
Chassis: International
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 78
My windows leak horribly and always have since they were pretty much new, I'm sure.
Panel over that leaky mess and spend the money to go with insulated, screened RV windows and you'll be so much better off in the long run.
Stuff like this can be the difference between having a "burning man bus" and a real HOME on wheels, IMO.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote