Old 09-05-2014, 06:53 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1980
Chassis: Thomas
Engine: Catapiller
Margarit The Bus

Hey All! I bought my bus back in May, and have been on Skoolie.net 100 times, but finally just signed up.

Here is my Blog about the bus that I got...her name is Margarit! (Like Mar-gah-reet) She is 1980 Thomas Built Diesel Pusher...Cat BUilt engine...I am in love with her.

http://margaritthebus.weebly.com/ I've done a bit of work since I updated her last.

I just finished pulling out her seats and rubber flooring. The photo of the Ripper Stripper below is what I used to pull up the floor...it was amazing. The rubber came up like butter curls. Otherwise it was coming off in one inch strips and I was going mad.

There is a wooden sub floor...which has mold spots. I'm thinking of spraying it down lightly with alcohol and letting it dry...not sure if I should then seal it? Any thoughts? I really want to avoid too many toxic chemicals.

Well, grateful to be part of the Skoolie community.

Thanks Team,
Gwen
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1613852_604721376263442_7557984992690832361_n.jpg (62.4 KB, 855 views)
File Type: jpg empty bus.jpg (786.5 KB, 853 views)
File Type: jpg rippr stippr.jpg (819.7 KB, 849 views)
Gwenweiss22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 11:05 PM   #2
Site Team

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 RE
Engine: 8.3l Cummins
Rated Cap: 78
Re: Margarit The Bus

Welcome to the forum! I only joined in July since I started a conversion myself. I read through your blog post and I'm excited for you since you have listed many compelling reasons for doing what you want to do.

As someone who has replaced a lot of rotten plywood in things, you need to determine where the water is coming from or it will continue to deteriorate.

Also, speaking as a guy who hasn't even ripped up his bus floor yet, my advice would be to remove the plywood and replace it with something that has more insulative properties, such as a foam and board sandwich. It might be an extra inch thicker but every bit counts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwenweiss22
Hey All! I bought my bus back in May, and have been on Skoolie.net 100 times, but finally just signed up.

Here is my Blog about the bus that I got...her name is Margarit! (Like Mar-gah-reet) She is 1980 Thomas Built Diesel Pusher...Cat BUilt engine...I am in love with her.

http://margaritthebus.weebly.com/ I've done a bit of work since I updated her last.

I just finished pulling out her seats and rubber flooring. The photo of the Ripper Stripper below is what I used to pull up the floor...it was amazing. The rubber came up like butter curls. Otherwise it was coming off in one inch strips and I was going mad.

There is a wooden sub floor...which has mold spots. I'm thinking of spraying it down lightly with alcohol and letting it dry...not sure if I should then seal it? Any thoughts? I really want to avoid too many toxic chemicals.

Well, grateful to be part of the Skoolie community.

Thanks Team,
Gwen
aaronsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 12:03 AM   #3
Skoolie

Year: 1992
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9 Cummins

That grill is awesome on your bus!

As for the water... my vote is to rip up all the plywood. Our rust-free bus had SOAKED plywood! There was considerable surface rust on the floors underneath it. A bit of rust converter and paint and we were good to go. We also ripped out all our ceiling panels and insulation.

Water has come into our bus through the bolt-holes for the seats in the floors. Now that we have the ceiling panels out and I have spent some time in the bus during the rain, I can say that a large majority of the ceiling leaks where the rooftop body panels come together and overlap. We caulked them all with silicone caulk from the inside and it seems to have done the trick. I don't think making a watertight seal was in the minds of the factory workers and engineers Don't forget you also have years of kids getting in with wet boots and shoes!
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=467346

www.LiveLoveTravelDream.com
White99z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 10:33 AM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15

I second checking out things under the floor as the place to start. Fairly easy to correct any issues now...extremely painful process after everything is built on top of it. I also second a thorough application of a quality rust inhibitor.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 09:29 PM   #5
Skoolie

We used two different rust converters on our floor since we ran out of the first one before finishing. Corroseal and Ospho... The corroseal did a much nicer job in my opinion!

Old 09-17-2014, 04:06 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

So, at closer examination...it wasn't mold! YAY! It was actually small specks of burnt wood from when they were doing some welding in the bus. The wood sub floor actually seems like it's in very good condition and I got a few second opinions. Seems like it is dry and solid. I'm not thinking of ripping it up, being that I live where it never gets colder than about 35 degrees, and I am going to insulate the roof and walls, and there will be a bit of insulation when I put the floor in. Any other opinions out there? Would love to hear them.

Thanks, Gwen
Old 09-17-2014, 07:56 PM   #7
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freight-shaker (Freightliner)
Engine: Cat 3126b 250 HP
Rated Cap: Only 1 seat

So you are saying there is absolutely no chance to ever be in a chilly climate??

Just a thought,

-Doc
Old 09-18-2014, 12:08 AM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

I Hear you Doc, good point. I have a question...is it possible to take up the wood floor without destroying the wood and then use it again? Because it is a lot of nice wood that I don't want to ruin. And how would I do that? I think insulating the floor does make most sense. In case I ever want to take it out into cold climates.
Old 09-18-2014, 08:49 AM   #9
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwenweiss22
I Hear you Doc, good point. I have a question...is it possible to take up the wood floor without destroying the wood and then use it again? Because it is a lot of nice wood that I don't want to ruin. And how would I do that? I think insulating the floor does make most sense. In case I ever want to take it out into cold climates.
I would likely be very difficult. But... if it is nailed in, you would have to pry up each and every nail individually. Mine was nailed in. If it's screwed in... then unscrew! But then you have the glue to contend with...

Old 09-18-2014, 06:58 PM   #10
Mini-Skoolie

Dang, I think it's just glued down...I gotta start prying!!! Better to be patient now, than regretful later...this is what I am telling myself on a daily basis!

: ) THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH for your help. I'm so in Love with Skoolie.net