Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-01-2013, 09:04 AM   #61
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Ward Senator
Chassis: International
Engine: DT 466
Rated Cap: 60
Re: Mark's 95 Carpenter International

I like your method to lock your door, but I would recommend replacing the 1" aluminum angle stock with steel. With the door closed and locked grab hold of the handle and pull. You might be surprised how much force you can put on it. I bet the aluminum will bend and the door will open. I have seen similar setups using steel get bent. The only difference is it was flat stock and not angle. Your design with the angle stock will be much stronger, but I still think aluminum will be too soft.

Gyrkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 10:55 AM   #62
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Corbeil
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 72

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchunt
You'r bus looks great, really clean looking and it looks as if it had always been that way - it looks like a factory made RV. I really like those white capitains chairs, very classy look.

Excellent work. Have you kept track of what the whole thing cost you to put together?
TourTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 04:21 PM   #63
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Carpenter
Engine: International T444E
Rated Cap: 71

Gyrkin,

Thanks, I used the 1/8" angle and it is surprisingly rigid, I'm able to stand on it without it bending and it is pretty light. This is the second iteration of this solution, the first one I used a 1/16" thick 1/2" wide aluminium angle and I was able to bend it. Good thing about doing it this way it that if I find I need to, it would be easy to change it to steel. I think I will end up adding a hasp just for long term storage when I won't be able to check on it as frequently as I can now. Eventually I hope to replace the door with a RV door.

TourTech,

Thanks. My initial budget was $14K, I know that I am over that by at least 3 or 4K. I kinda don't care at this point. I set up a separate bank account and everything I bought for the bus came out of it so I could go back and figure it out to the penny. Maybe I'll use that as historical data when I do my second bus.
mchunt is offline   Reply With Quote

« One-way | The Sloth »