Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-18-2014, 04:29 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: MVP RE
Engine: Cummins 8.3
Measurements and isolation

Hi,

We are looking for the inside measurements of a 39ft school bus, flat nose and rear engine.
I can't find it anywhere.

Plus we are looking into how to isolate the windows best in strong winter conditions..

Thanks

Letsbenomads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 04:46 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72
Re: Measurements and isolation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Letsbenomads
Hi,

We are looking for the inside measurements of a 39ft school bus, flat nose and rear engine.
I can't find it anywhere.

Plus we are looking into how to isolate the windows best in strong winter conditions..

Thanks
Both buses loose a foot at the rear for bumper/ body slant. Flat nose uses about 2 feet for dash, and the dog nose uses 4 or 5 feet for the engine.

So a dog nose would be 31 feet, and a flat nose would be 36 feet.

Front seats burn up around 3 feet.

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 05:22 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: MVP RE
Engine: Cummins 8.3

Great thanks Nat... you know with and height too by any chance?
Do you think we could just put a double bench in the front for driver and one extra?
Letsbenomads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 06:48 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2001
Coachwork: bluebird
Chassis: bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 16

Width is going to depend on manufacturer and options ordered on the bus. Height is the same there are options. Thomas for example seems to have 3 different standard interior heights. My Blue Bird is 91.5" wide. But that was with a cheap tape measure so i'd bet closer to 91".

as to putting in a small bench seat like from a conversion van as the drivers seat of the bus I don't see why not.
orangepeel91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 08:27 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Most full size buses around here are 5 foot 10 to 6 feet 2 ceiling height.

Most full size buses are 7 foot 6 on the inside, 7 foot 10 on the outside. This puts the mirrors still under the nation wide standard of 8 foot 6 wide.

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
Old 03-18-2014, 09:06 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Coachwork: Ward Senator
Chassis: International 3900FC
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 84

Actually all the thomas's and blue birds that I walked had 73" ceilings (6 ft. 1) and my ward also has 73" ceilings. This is a fairly common measurement. You could find an activity bus, noticable by the hump (the hump goes up) in the roof from behind the drivers seat. These buses have 78" ceilings. My bus is 38' from bumper to bumper and has 31'9" from behind the drivers seat to the back of the bus. The amount of space lost to the engine depends alot on the engine for an FE. A cummins 5.9 isn't nearly as long as the DT466, so you could wind up with more space behind the drivers seat with a cummins 5.9.
Westward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 09:27 PM   #7
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westward
Actually all the thomas's and blue birds that I walked had 73" ceilings (6 ft. 1) and my ward also has 73" ceilings. This is a fairly common measurement. You could find an activity bus, noticable by the hump (the hump goes up) in the roof from behind the drivers seat. These buses have 78" ceilings. My bus is 38' from bumper to bumper and has 31'9" from behind the drivers seat to the back of the bus. The amount of space lost to the engine depends alot on the engine for an FE. A cummins 5.9 isn't nearly as long as the DT466, so you could wind up with more space behind the drivers seat with a cummins 5.9.
I think your gaining your inch from different flooring. We all have plywood under the rubber. You may not where you are.

Nat

Old 03-19-2014, 04:28 PM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

Perhaps, but that would still make it 6' if they used a full inch sheet....not 5'10"....i've walked many buses in NC and VA and mine came from KY...I measured with a tape every bus I walked...and they were all 73"....its entirely possible that someone else might be right about something besides you.
Old 03-19-2014, 05:21 PM   #9
Bus Geek

Quote:
Perhaps, but that would still make it 6' if they used a full inch sheet....not 5'10"....i've walked many buses in NC and VA and mine came from KY...I measured with a tape every bus I walked...and they were all 73"....its entirely possible that someone else might be right about something besides you.
Ok, you want to the millimeter, you go measure, and post exactly what bus. I was giving to the nearest inch.

I could not care less who is right, because there is no "right" or "wrong". It's looking like what I have in Canada clearly is a inch or two different than what you have. Grow up.

My 92 TC2000 is 5'10"

My 92 B700 is 6'2"

They are both 7'6 inside and 7'10" outside.

When it dry's up a bit I will go measure 100 of the 400 buses next door, and post the info.

Nat

Old 03-19-2014, 07:26 PM   #10
Mini-Skoolie

So if its not about being right or wrong to you...then whey do you always have to try and correct everyone on here?.....

you are no bus building god....nor the definitive source of information on here....you don't know it all as you try and pose to others on here.....let people and there post be... we all have ideas and ways about trying things thats the beauty of this website and the many people that used to be on here...purposeful, constructive ideas, and suggestions....not criticism, pointless corrections, and bashing anything someone says that you may not agree with....I'll "grow up"....if you'll mature and learn how to respect others.
Old 03-19-2014, 07:45 PM   #11
Bus Geek

Quote:
So if its not about being right or wrong to you...then whey do you always have to try and correct everyone on here?.....

you are no bus building god....nor the definitive source of information on here....you don't know it all as you try and pose to others on here.....let people and there post be... we all have ideas and ways about trying things thats the beauty of this website and the many people that used to be on here...purposeful, constructive ideas, and suggestions....not criticism, pointless corrections, and bashing anything someone says that you may not agree with....I'll "grow up"....if you'll mature and learn how to respect others.
You done yet? I strike a nerve? Make you feel a little inferior? I just love how some of my simple, helpfull post's bring out the true colors of some people. You drunk tonight, or going through drug withdrawal?

I could give a **** for your respect. I said nothing out of line. Your problem is yours' and yours alone. I add my info for the people that are smart enough to use it without running their mouth.

Please read my signature.

Nat

Old 03-19-2014, 07:49 PM   #12
Mini-Skoolie

Dude, you've got issues....and they're nothing small.
Old 03-19-2014, 07:51 PM   #13
Bus Geek

Quote:
Dude, you've got issues....and they're nothing small.
That's what my girl friend said the first time I pulled down my shorts.

Nat

Old 03-19-2014, 08:15 PM   #14
Mini-Skoolie

My TC 2000 is considerably taller than Nat's.

But my bus is a little on the different side to start with.

It is a 10 window bus that was set up from the factory to carry 7 wheelchairs. I have never seen a school bus set up to carry that many wheelchairs before this. Because my bus has NO seats behind the driver, only wheelchair spaces on that side it was built with a higher than normal floor. My bus has no wheel humps. Again I've never seen that in a school bus before, other than those built with 19.5" wheels. My bus has 22.5" wheels, factory tire size is 10R22.5. Most TC 2000 have the passenger windows at the same height as the drivers window. Because of the raised floor my passenger windows are mounted higher as well.

My roof right behind the engine cover is more than 6'2" because I am that tall and could stand there in my workboots and not hit the ceiling. However there is also a 5" rise in the floor so I will not be surprised to find out that my roof for the rest of the bus was at 5" 10". I will measure it tomorrow and get back to you

On a side note for Nat, US law specifically exempts safety devices from the 96" and 102" overall width limit.
Old 03-19-2014, 08:35 PM   #15
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangepeel91
My TC 2000 is considerably taller than Nat's.

On a side note for Nat, US law specifically exempts safety devices from the 96" and 102" overall width limit.
Nice, so mirrors, lights, horn, camera's ect can all be wider than the 96" and 102" overall width limit.

Mmm, now you got me thinking again about how much square footage I could gain by building a bus out to 102". That's almost a foot wider. Sure would make the hall ways and such feel a little less cramped.

Nat

Old 03-19-2014, 10:10 PM   #16
Mini-Skoolie

That's the benefit to using a transit bus instead of a school bus. Same problems of wheel wells and no/limited under floor luggage bays.
BUT they are almost all 102" wide standard and 102 has been an option since the 50's on those that were 96" as standard.

Try to find a new highway coach that is 96" wide. It's next to impossible. MCI still offers 96" wide but only in one model and most end up in the Northeast. Otherwise 102 has been standard there since about 87.