Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-24-2015, 05:08 PM   #21
Mini-Skoolie

That is a bloody clean bus... great find!

marbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 09:37 PM   #22
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Crown by Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: 230 HP DT 466e/MT 643!
Rated Cap: 16
Progress!

Finally got back to work after the Thanksgiving break. Got the waste tank in and the toilet connected up and mounted. We will have a "wet bathroom" so we have the shower liner sized up and ready to go. Started framing the bench that will go over one of the wheel wells and also started framing out the bathroom.

Some pics!

Got the waste tank hung - used 3/8 inch beam clamps and unistrut supports on the bottom.

[/URL]

Splurged and got the Dometic 320 RV toilet - nice and big and sturdy!

[/URL]

another shot of the bathroom area
[/URL]

Framing for the bench around the wheel well. Countersunk sheet metal screws into the floor. Nice and solid.

[/URL]

bench continued
[/URL]

Wifey happy with the progress today!
[/URL]

Here's some other random pics - You'll have to excuse the mess - This is my Mother-in-law's garage and she has lots o'stuff!

[/URL]

Erica(my wife) got an action shot of me grinding sharp bits off of the threaded rod
[/URL]

Mother-in-laws's dog, Hannah, photo-bombing the left lower corner!

[/URL]

Nice thing about being in Texas is not having to deal with frigid weather/snow. I just wish there was more daylight...

Tomorrow we hope to make some more progress on the bench and bathroom and I also want to get started on mounting the fresh water tank.

more to come tomorrow!

John
johnbloem1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 12:07 AM   #23
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Lookin' GOOD guys! Keep the pix comin'!
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 09:17 PM   #24
Bus Nut

More Progress!

Today was productive. Got the fresh water tank hung and secured - still need to plumb it, but I'm glad to have the black and fresh tanks in. Working under the bus is dirty and I've come to realize I can't bend/contort like I used to! We will put in a grey tank later on down the road...

We got the bench/storage box all framed and put together, now we just need to make it pretty. Erica is all excited about that part! She's going to paint it and put a nice cushion on top. The top lifts off for easy access to the storage inside. It will be a great place to sit as you could easily fit 3-4 people on it.

Next up will be to frame and enclose the bathroom - got a start on some measuring and placement today...

Here's some more pics!

Here, I had to use a router and make a channel along the bottom side where the screws are an inch above the seat rail. That way, the board on the back will sit flush with the wall

Here's some more of getting the box all framed up:

Got it all wrapped in plywood - this thing is sturdy!

Here's the box all done - now to make it pretty!

The bathroom starting to take shape! It's nice to be able to have a better idea of space/placement now that some things are up..

Tomorrow should hopefully have some more progress on the bathroom. Then I will plumb everything up!

John
Old 12-08-2015, 06:34 PM   #25
Bus Crazy

Year: 1976
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Supercoach
Engine: Detroit 6-71 Mid-Ship Mounted
Rated Cap: 79 at Birth
Way nice...looking good!
Old 12-14-2015, 12:37 PM   #26
Bus Nut

getting ready for holiday break

Thanks, BC!!

So, this weekend we took the bus up to Austin and hung out with some friends and got to sleep in the bus for the first time - was quite nice! We had a successful "leak check" as we had torrential rains on Saturday night - we stayed nice and dry. Yahoo! We ran an extension cord from our friends house so we had such creature comforts as a fan when it was hot and a heater once the cold front moved in. We used magnetic hooks and hung some blankets on the windows for privacy and a curtain sectioning off the bed area from the rest of the bus, and the heater kept us nice and toasty!

We've made some more progress on the bathroom area and the plumbing, and looks like we will be taking a little break from the bus as we head to Mexico for the holidays to spend some time with my parents who live in Sayulita on the Pacific coast. Hope everyone has a great holiday season and a safe New Year and we will continue the build as soon as we get back to the States!

I leave y'all with some more pics!

mounted the water pump on the underside of the bus near the tank, and its nice and protected and out of the way. Still need to wire it up, but that will wait until after the holidays...

fresh water tank fit nicely in the back middle section between the frame. Got it all plumbed up and ready to go...

Drilled more holes in the side of the bus (eeeeek!!) to get the city water and gravity fill in and connected. Did the city water leak check and it worked great - did not have a waterfall in or around the bus!

Here's a closer look...

Started to enclose the bathroom walls - did it in pieces as we did not have nice big pieces of plywood - decided to make do with what we had instead of buying more wood. Worked out great.

decided to use angle bracket with sheet metal screws into the ribs - came out nice and sturdy on that side and was great for dealing with all the uneven bits. We're going to cover the inside walls on the bathroom with FRP or some other waterproof material (vinyl, etc..)

we will make a jig (thanks to Vonslatt.com) to cut the curvy bits for the upper part of the wall. That will have to wait until after the holidays...

"action shot" of me screwing the wall into place - don't I just looked thrilled!

used double-sided foam tape on the bracket that was up against the metal so it would cushion it and not have metal-on-metal. Figured it can't hurt...

Hope everyone has a great holiday and we'll see 'ya after the New Year!

John & Erica
Old 12-14-2015, 02:08 PM   #27
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 84
Really enjoying your build, have a fun and safe trip.
FlyboyHPD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 02:54 PM   #28
Bus Nut

Thanks, Flyboy!!
Old 12-14-2015, 03:46 PM   #29
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Hey "FlyBoyHPD"...being another Houstonian, pilot and bus nut myself...I just have to ask...based on your handle, any chance you fly for the local PD? Fixed or whirlybirds?
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 05:38 PM   #30
Bus Nut

Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 84
Hey Tango, good to hear from you. I've seen your other posts from time to time. I've been a member now for about a year and just waiting for summer to get here so I can hopefully find a good bus in one of the HISD, CyFair, or surrounding school auctions.

Yes, I flew helicopters for Houston PD for 10 years. I retired after 20 years back in 2001. Do you have your fixed wing or rotorcraft license?

I'd love to come and see your bus sometime, and also pick your brain a little .
FlyboyHPD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 03:59 PM   #31
Bus Nut

Hey skoolies! Hope everyone has had a nice holiday season. Our time here in Mexico is coming to a close and I am chomping at the bit to get back to work on the bus. There is lots I want to do before we go up to Montana for our summer jobs. We will be taking the bus with us and towing our car, so I gotta get a hitch put on. Anyone on the Kerrville/San Antonio area have any recommendations on where to get that done?
We head back in about 3 weeks and I can't wait! It's been really nice to be able to keep up on everyone's progress...
Old 03-06-2016, 08:45 AM   #32
Bus Nut

We're Back!!

Just got back from an extended trip to Mexico late last night. First thing I do when I get home??
Check on the bus. She looked great, apparently no leaks, and no issues from sitting for 3 months. The best part - I realized I forgot to disconnect the battery before we left...
I figure what the hell, I put in the key and turned it, expectIng nothing....WRONG!!! She cranked right up!!!! Woohoo!!
That put such a smile on my face. I can't wait to get working again....plenty more pictures to come this week as we get her ready for the trip to Montana.
Old 03-06-2016, 11:30 AM   #33

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: 3800
Engine: DT408, AT545
Rated Cap: 23 500 gvw
Don't know if you figured out which trans you have but this might help you.

http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f33/ho...pecs-1641.html

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 10:27 PM   #34
Bus Nut

Thanks, Cal! I'll give it a look...
Old 03-07-2016, 04:40 PM   #35
Mini-Skoolie

Coachwork: Blue Bird
Engine: DT 466 Diesel
Rated Cap: 72 passenger
I really like your color combination- looks great. Did you spray it or roller/ brush?

Also wondering if you applied tint to the windows?
Thanks- Dave
MXBUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 05:02 PM   #36
Bus Nut

Thanks!

Thanks, MXBUS! Appreciate it.

-we just roller/brushed it on. Used Rust-Oleum from Home Depot - came out WAY better than we were expecting!

-We bought the bus with the tint already there - It must have been a factory job, as it is not just a stick-on applied to the glass...

John
Old 03-09-2016, 02:46 AM   #37
Skoolie

These type connections are "iffy". They can loosen up and you have a problem. heh. They only clamp on the rail and the bolts can come loose or wear from rocking or jolting.
just my 2 cents...

And another 2 cents. People that are obbsessed with hyper MPG vehicles close in the bottom of their vehicle for the best single improvement in MPG gains. I am wondering if doing that to a schoolie would bring the MPG's to over 10 from 8mpg or so...It will be something I try when ever I get my bus. That might be more exciting to me then finishing the inside! I gotta get help....
100MPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 08:52 AM   #38
Bus Nut

Thanks for the heads up, 100MPG, I'll make sure to check on those connections every so often and make sure they're good and tight...
Old 03-09-2016, 06:51 PM   #39
Bus Nut

Progress!

OK - Made some progress today. We decided to put some 1x6 strips above the windows in some areas to use as backing and mounting for shelving. Used the existing screw holes that were in the roof. Thank goodness there are no rivets! Simply bought longer machine screws and screwed them right into the structural ribs. Nice and sturdy!

Also were finally able to make the jig for the roof section of the wall and finished the walls in the bathroom.

You can still see some daylight by the ceiling, but we will put some trim or get something nice to cover/seal it up...

Nice to have that done...

made cutouts for the lights....Still need to figure out whether to remove them or change them for something different. Figured this was the easiest way to let it slide until we know exactly...

no progress tomorrow as we have to take care of other errands, but will get back to it on Friday and I'll keep the pics coming!

John
Old 03-09-2016, 06:57 PM   #40
Skoolie

looking good! I am living through your work and hope it saves me some time when I get a bus. (if ever!)
100MPG is offline   Reply With Quote