Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-22-2016, 09:25 PM   #41
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Crown by Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: 230 HP DT 466e/MT 643!
Rated Cap: 16
Curtains! In a good way! :)

Been a little quiet here just getting some small stuff taken care of here and there. Finally made some headway today. We spent last weekend in Austin at a friends house using her expertise and sewing machines and we made curtains. Got the back window and the windows in the bedroom area done, as well as the sink area up front. It was nice to finally make some progress again. Today, we hung the curtains. I got a longer machine screw and a washer and strung some vinyl-covered wire between them. I'll get some close-ups of that later. We also have started to frame in the sink/storage area. The plan for tomorrow will be to dry-mount the sink and make sure all the dimensions are right before we cinch everything down. Then we will make the stand/cabinet for the fridge (got a Vissani 4.3 CI fridge/freezer from Home Depot for really cheap on Black Friday). Its nice to see some progress!

Here's the pics!

Here's the back window curtain. We got the fabric from Joann's and used a blackout liner. Nice and dark!! The colors don't look quite right in the picture, its actually more blue and not as brown. It really turned out nice!

The 2 side windows in the bedroom area are the same...again the colors aren't quite right, but it is nice to have some privacy!

Here's the kitchen sink area with the new curtains... started the frameout for the area as well...

Another angle of the sink area...

Here's a complete shot of the bedroom area. The bed will actually be pushed against the wall on the left, and the bottoms of the curtains on the back will be velcroed to the back wall to keep the light out. Now that the curtains are up, we don't have to have all those magnet hooks on the wall!!

Today was a good day. Will continue tomorrow and update with pics, of course!

John

johnbloem1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 10:26 PM   #42
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
Nice job.

You really did have a lot of magnets.
Robin97396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 08:54 PM   #43
Bus Nut

Sink and fridge!

Good evening Skoolie world! Today was another nice day of progress - finished up the rough install of the sink and got it all measured, cut, and ready to go. Now, we will be putting a fancy colorful epoxy on the countertops in the next week or so....can't wait. We think its really going to turn out cool. Pictures to come as soon as the epoxy arrives! Also started the fridge/stove area. Made a platform for the fridge and started on the framing. Measured for the rest of the curtains which will be made as soon as the fabric arrives.

Had a receiver hitch and trailer wiring put on last week also, so now need to get a tow dolly for the car. Anyone in Texas selling one I can take off your hands??

Here's today's pics:

nervously putting on the sink template

Time to cut the hole!

Whew! The cut went off without a hitch!

Looks like she's gonna fit - now we can put the cool epoxy on the counter top!

We decided to treat ourselves to a nice new sink - looks pretty nice! Can't wait to get it all finished up.

Got the platform for the fridge measured and installed as well as starting the framing for the rest of the cabinets...

Fits on there real nice! Now need to get the rest of the area done and we will secure the fridge so it doesn't move around as we are driving...

Also went ahead and reversed the doors so it would open in front of the lift. That way we can have counters/storage to the right of the fridge and don't have to worry about the doors getting in the way.

Also ordered 12V LED bulbs for the dome lights to brighten it up and not drain the battery so much...they arrive Friday along with some fan parts to fix the broken driver fan...

Also found a sweet Bose speaker system on EBAY to connect the satellite radio to. Now we have nice sound and it is loud enough to hear while underway. Yahoo!

Hope everyone has a nice evening!

John
Old 03-23-2016, 09:13 PM   #44
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Engine: DT 466 Diesel
Rated Cap: 72 passenger
How will you be securing your fridge?
MXBUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 09:18 PM   #45
Bus Nut

Good question!

Actually, I'm thinking straps that will screw into the wood near the base. I will run them around the top with some foam bits as to not scratch up the finish. Also thinking about putting removable straps around it to the wheelchair lift to further secure it while underway...
Old 03-23-2016, 09:29 PM   #46
Mini-Skoolie

Coachwork: Blue Bird
Engine: DT 466 Diesel
Rated Cap: 72 passenger
How secure is the base it sits on- maybe some L brackets from the fridge to the base. I was going to hide some brackets on the floor/ wall and ceiling to attach it to. May also put a latch on the doors so they don't swing open en-route.
MXBUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 09:36 PM   #47
Bus Nut

I already got some small straps for the doors so they won't swing open (they are made for fridge/freezer doors). The L brackets aren't a bad idea as the base is solid. I'll look into that...

Old 03-23-2016, 09:47 PM   #48
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: 3800 International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 72
looking good, nice work, curtains look good, you need a night stand on both sides of the bed, its also nice to have a bed set up so you can get off either side , no climbing over each other.
gbstewart
Old 03-23-2016, 09:55 PM   #49
Bus Nut

Thanks, GB!

Nightstand is in the works! We originally had the bed the other way, but then realized how much nicer it will be to be able to walk around and not roll over each other to get out of bed...

John
Old 03-24-2016, 03:56 AM   #50
Bus Crazy

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner ER
Engine: 3208 CAT/MT643 tranny
Rated Cap: 87
Question about the car hauler:

What kind of vehicle is going on it? I might have a solution to that query......
Old 03-24-2016, 08:19 AM   #51
Bus Nut

M1031a1 - a front-wheel drive Ford Escape...
Old 03-24-2016, 01:02 PM   #52
Bus Crazy

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner ER
Engine: 3208 CAT/MT643 tranny
Rated Cap: 87
I have a 16 foot car carrier that just might fit your needs. Let me know if it might help you out.
Old 04-02-2016, 09:05 PM   #53
Bus Nut

Slowly but surely!

Howdy-ho fellow Skoolies!! Hope this message finds everyone well...

Making more headway!! I love being able to check things off a list! Had some small things done underneath like finally get the water pump hooked up and the switch installed on the switch panel. While I was in there, I was also able to get the panel backlights to work! Was just a bad dimmer switch...I replaced it with an on-off switch as I did not need to worry about the dimmer since the light is red! Looks really cool...

Was able to button up some other plumbing stuff - almost done with the gray tank...just need to mount it as I have everything else ready to go.

The epoxy mix for the countertops came in and we put on the first coat today. Tomorrow will hope to get that finished up too then hoping to have them all installed by the end of the week.

Put up a coat hanger! I know, the wall still needs painting, but progress is progress!

Got the outside shower box installed today!! Hooked it up to the plumbing and leak-tested it successfully!

Speaking of showers, we now have a shower curtain inside. Granted, still need to put in the shower/flooring/walls, but again, any progress is good progess!

Also starting on the upper cabinets on the passenger side - have 2 more boards to go up, then can get the shelves and supports in...This seems to be going faster than expected!

That's all for today - Hope everyone has a great rest of the weekend!

John
Old 04-02-2016, 10:51 PM   #54
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbloem1974 View Post
Thanks, GB!

Nightstand is in the works! We originally had the bed the other way, but then realized how much nicer it will be to be able to walk around and not roll over each other to get out of bed...

John

Amazing how many people come to that conclusion after trying it the other way.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 10:06 AM   #55
Bus Nut

Its so sparkly!!!!

Our 3-day counter-top epoxy-ing has finally been done! Couldn't be happier with the results. The pictures do not do it justice....The sparkle/colors in the sun is absolutely mesmerizing...Can't wait to get them installed.

Here's the corner of the sink counter.....

Here is for the counter across from the sink, where we will have our stove

we're still amazed at how cool it turned out. It is epoxy, so its glossy and thick/durable like a bar counter, but with cool colors added in!!

Also got the converter/charger put in and the rest of the curtains have been sewn and need to install. Additionally, we got the screen material cut and we are putting magnets on the edges to be able to put them up. We will only use them when stationary, so the magnets will suffice..

John
Old 04-06-2016, 08:33 PM   #56
Bus Nut

Sink!

More progress today! Got the sink installed, just have to get the drain lines all hooked up. Got both counters installed as well. Going to Lake Jackson this weekend and will spend a night at Palmetto State Park on the way back. Looking forward to a couple nights out and about.

Time is starting to be an issue as we have to be in Glacier National Park in Montana by the 15th of May for our summer jobs. Trying to finish up as many things as we can before the trip. Got a tow dolly last week and all the proper hitch parts, so we are ready to go there. Should get the rough-in done on the rest of the upper cabinets this week, and we will slowly but surely get them trimmed out and looking better, but for the moment they are functional and that's all that matters!

Here's today's pics:

Sink dropped in successfully and all buttoned down! Countertop nice and shiny!

Got the faucet and soap dispenser in and just need to hook up the drains and supply lines underneath. That will happen tomorrow.

got the opposite side counter all buttoned in also in all it shiny, glittery glory. It looks so cool when the light hits it directly. Shimmery and Sparkly!

Same counter, other angle...

Got the upper cabinet bases almost done - obviously, still need to trim them out, paint them and make it pretty, but for the moment they will do...

Here's the other angle...

John
Old 04-11-2016, 09:42 PM   #57
Bus Nut

Out in the wild!

Had a fun weekend! Got to take the bus out and use it. Woohoo!!
Drove from Kerrville to Houston to see some Art Cars, then headed down to Lake Jackson at a friends house for a crawfish boil. YUMMY! The next day, we spent a night at Palmetto State Park near Luling. What a cool little park. Met some nice folks and got to show off the bus! Decided on the way back that it sucked being on the Interstate when current top speed is 57, so we took back roads and had such a nicer time - went through Seguin, New Braunfels (ate lunch at Clear Springs restaurant - if you have a chance...GO!), and around Canyon Lake.

Only shot I got from the Crawfish boil - some good mudbugs!

Palmetto State Park:
Got a nice little spot in the corner (#9 - ask for that one...super easy to back into)

Super fun and easy to get settled in. Parked, plugged in, and connected the water hose. That's it! So worth all the time and effort. The trip to Montana is gonna be so fun!

Wifey looking on approvingly as I connected up and nothing leaked. Sweet!!
On a side note - the outdoor shower rocks!! It was so nice to rinse off my sweaty head after a little hike with drizzle and 90% humidity!!

Had a nice little hike, and did *not* see any snakes on the trail. Only one we saw was as we were driving in and saw one scoot across the road...

Had a nice little campfire too and was really nice to just chill and have some beer around the fire...

This week, I will get a new starter and hopefully get to the International dealership so I can get the cruise control turned on as well as any speed governors taken off...

John
Old 04-11-2016, 10:59 PM   #58
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbloem1974 View Post
...we're still amazed at how cool it turned out. It is epoxy, so its glossy and thick/durable like a bar counter, but with cool colors added in!!

John
Nice! I really like this. If you mentioned the name of the epoxy I missed it. I'm interested in how you applied the epoxy? And did you add the glitter or did it come with it already mixed in?
Canned Ham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 08:03 AM   #59
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
love how you did the cabinet planks around the curve of the bus.. what a great Idea and doesnt waste space above.. plus you get Lights in your cabinet if your bus lights are still connected..

great looking build. Nice to see other Carpenter busses in the mix.
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 10:56 AM   #60
Bus Nut

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canned Ham View Post
Nice! I really like this. If you mentioned the name of the epoxy I missed it. I'm interested in how you applied the epoxy? And did you add the glitter or did it come with it already mixed in?
Canned Ham - Thanks - The pictures really don't do it any justice. It looks soooooo cool in the light.

We got it from a website called countertopepoxy.com Their customer service is amazing!! We called a few times and they were more than happy to help us out even before we bought their product.
The paint and glitter come separate, you get to choose your base coat and glitter color. We chose black for the base coat and the glitter mix is called "Hocus Pocus". They have lots of videos to help on youtube also. Basically everything comes separate and you mix all the product together. You actually do the "glitter coat" as a separate step. They recommend using MDF instead of plywood because it is smoother and doesn't soak up the epoxy like plywood does. If you use plywood, you have to do an extra skim coat with just the epoxy to seal up the wood... Its pretty easy to do, just follow the directions...

Cadillackid - Thanks! We absolutely love ours.