Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-15-2016, 09:18 PM   #1

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Engine: CAT 3116
Rated Cap: 54 passengers
millenials RV bus conversion

We are a group of millennials from Alberta Canada converting a 1997 GMC Bluebird 54 passenger with an eaton 5sp manny tranny and a cat 3116 diesel. Everything but the engine has 350000 kms on it but the engine has 50k.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BCsDBXrJQeH/

It's our first time doing anything like this so any tips and tricks are appreciated.

Also it pops out of 4th gear. anyone know what I could do to remedy that?

GucciLaine96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 10:11 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
Nice bus and a good project for a group of enthusiastic millennials.

Maybe someone in the group is a mechanic? You'll need to remove the top cap off the transmission, then repair the detent balls and springs. It's actually pretty simple but it's also important to get it right or the transmission won't shift. The shift forks have to go back into the right positions when the top cap is put back on.
Robin97396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 01:23 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin97396 View Post
Nice bus and a good project for a group of enthusiastic millennials.

Maybe someone in the group is a mechanic? You'll need to remove the top cap off the transmission, then repair the detent balls and springs. It's actually pretty simple but it's also important to get it right or the transmission won't shift. The shift forks have to go back into the right positions when the top cap is put back on.
I trained as an aircraft mechanic but aircrafts contain no transmissions. I also know nothing about diesels. Are there any resources or maintenance manuals available online or should I order them?
Old 03-16-2016, 01:54 AM   #4

Engine: CAT 3116 Inline 6 Turbo Diesel
Rated Cap: 54 Passenger
Progress Pics - Album on Imgur
Here's some pics of the current progress of the interior of the bus!
Bus for the boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 06:13 AM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freight-shaker (Freightliner)
Engine: Cat 3126b 250 HP
Rated Cap: Only 1 seat
Here's a link to a service manual, however, it doesn't give any repair info in detail.

http://www.oya.com/service/mechanica...aintenance.pdf

I actually ordered the OEM book off ebay for my motor so I have the specs for everything. (I plan on rebuilding another motor for a back up when I have time.)

-Doc
Docsgsxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 12:22 PM   #6
Bus Geek

I've found operator's manuals and parts manuals free online. I doubt I can find any exploded view of your transmission. If you're working toward being an aircraft mechanic this should be pretty simple.
I'm worried that you won't get the shift forks back in the correct position during reassembly if I explain how to take the top cap off the transmission. It's likely you'll have to go to a transmission shop to get the detent balls and springs changed, but that repair will stop it from popping out of gear. Do you want to try it yourself?
Old 03-16-2016, 12:41 PM   #7

Quote:
I've found operator's manuals and parts manuals free online. I doubt I can find any exploded view of your transmission. If you're working toward being an aircraft mechanic this should be pretty simple.
I'm worried that you won't get the shift forks back in the correct position during reassembly if I explain how to take the top cap off the transmission. It's likely you'll have to go to a transmission shop to get the detent balls and springs changed, but that repair will stop it from popping out of gear. Do you want to try it yourself?
absolutely I'll do it myself. Ill do 2 weeks of research though.
Old 03-16-2016, 01:29 PM   #8
Bus Geek

You'll need to remove the floor over the transmission, which should be self explanatory. Once you can see the top of your transmission you'll notice the top plate bolted down right on top of the transmission which contains your shifting mechanism. Simply remove the top plate bolts, then carefully lift the plate so you can see the position of the shift forks, because you're going to need to get the forks back into the same position as when you removed them.

You'll probably need to take the top plate to a transmission shop to get the detent ball and spring replaced unless you can find those parts yourself. The detent ball and spring are what holds the transmission in gear. Sometimes the spring breaks and other times the detent ball becomes so ward that it just falls out of place.

During reassembly it should be immediately obvious if the shift forks are not in the right position because the transmission won't shift correctly and you can feel it.

After those little parts are replaced, and if you can get the shift forks back in the proper positions, bolt the top cap back onto the transmission and replace the floor.

In theory that should do it. It's never clear following someone else's instructions. I haven't worked on that specific transmission but manual transmissions are pretty similar.

Sounds like a fun project for a group of friends.
Old 03-16-2016, 01:35 PM   #9
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GucciLaine96 View Post
We are a group of millennials from Alberta Canada converting a 1997 GMC Bluebird 54 passenger with an eaton 5sp manny tranny and a cat 3116 diesel.
Just out of curiousity, how many of you are older than the bus?
dan-fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 09:15 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan-fox View Post
Just out of curiousity, how many of you are older than the bus?
ha! we're all 1 year older than it.
Old 03-17-2016, 01:04 AM   #11

Engine: CAT 3116 Inline 6 Turbo Diesel
Rated Cap: 54 Passenger
Quote:
You'll need to remove the floor over the transmission, which should be self explanatory. Once you can see the top of your transmission you'll notice the top plate bolted down right on top of the transmission which contains your shifting mechanism. Simply remove the top plate bolts, then carefully lift the plate so you can see the position of the shift forks, because you're going to need to get the forks back into the same position as when you removed them.

You'll probably need to take the top plate to a transmission shop to get the detent ball and spring replaced unless you can find those parts yourself. The detent ball and spring are what holds the transmission in gear. Sometimes the spring breaks and other times the detent ball becomes so ward that it just falls out of place.

During reassembly it should be immediately obvious if the shift forks are not in the right position because the transmission won't shift correctly and you can feel it.

After those little parts are replaced, and if you can get the shift forks back in the proper positions, bolt the top cap back onto the transmission and replace the floor.

In theory that should do it. It's never clear following someone else's instructions. I haven't worked on that specific transmission but manual transmissions are pretty similar.

Sounds like a fun project for a group of friends.
Thanks for the in-depth reply!
Bus for the boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 09:34 AM   #12
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: Your mom +1
Quote:
Originally Posted by GucciLaine96 View Post
ha! we're all 1 year older than it.
dammit I feel old... Stay off the grass... durned kids... etc...
slaughridge85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 10:11 AM   #13
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Scary to think of it but my bus just turned 70...and I am older than it!
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote