Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-17-2019, 04:29 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Mini Crawler Hauler(Toy Hauler) Bus

Well I decided to make a project thread, since I have finally taken possession of my bus. Intro thread can be found here: http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f6/pur...ler-28929.html

It is a 1991 International Blue Bird with a DTA360 and a 5sp manual.
When I purchased it, it was already somewhat converted:
  • gearing has been updated for Highway use
  • it is already registered as an RV in my province
  • has a toilet installed with a fresh water tank(appears to have used a air tank from a bus with airbrakes) and a black water tank.
  • 17ft garage area that has been dove tailed with a rear ramp controlled by a 3500lb winch
  • Living area has 2 couches under one couch it is a storage area, under the other couch is a cooler compartment with drainage.
  • Has a gas generator
  • Roof A/C
  • CB Radio
  • Push button to lock/unlock the accordion door for security.

Injunfarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 04:32 PM   #2
Mini-Skoolie

The first of many purchases for the bus... the first pics of them on the trailer are my actual seats... the other pictures are just showing what they are and how they function... they are 3way bench seats from a full size camping van complete with legal seat belts.

The bus just went from a legal single seater.... to a legal 7 passenger! With dinette and fold down bed!

Definitely going to refurbish them.. fresh paint on the metal and new foam/fabric but definitely a good start.. going to be replacing these 2 couches(that don't have seatbelts) with these 2 benches then a small kitchenette on the opposite side(if space permits..)

Old 11-17-2019, 04:45 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Here is a picture of my bus finally at home. As well as some pics of the rear dove tail. Will be uploading video footage to YouTube Shortly.
Attached Thumbnails
2019-11-17 13.40.04.jpg   2019-11-17 15.41.57.jpg   2019-11-17 15.41.38.jpg   2019-11-17 15.41.35.jpg   2019-11-17 14.42.25.jpg  

Old 11-17-2019, 04:59 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

The route for this build is likely to focus more so on a functional toyhauler/shop than luxurious living quarters. Here are my plans:
  • Remove the couches for the 3way bench seats, build out dinette table to use.
  • Rework the toilet area(might need to move it back a bit further in order for the bench seats to fit anyway).. Set it up to be an all in one toilet, shower, sink area as seen on slide in truck campers
  • Purchase the cooler type 12v fridge/freezer combo, so I have ability to use it on the bus on transfer it to other vehicles.
  • As much as I would love to build out a kitchenette I honestly do not think I have the space for it unless I ditch the work bench/table area in the shop and put the kitchenette in place of that.. However unsure how the wife would feel about having the kitchen in the shop area...
  • Install a plastic fresh water tank in place of the current air tank that is being used for fresh water.. as well as a grey tank for shower/sink.
  • Use the current fresh water tank(actual air tank) as an actual air tank for onboard air to power tools, fill tires etc... Source out a compressor and mount to hook upto the DTA360.
  • Replace the smaller gas generator with a 8-10kwh diesel generator that will hook into the main tank so I can use it to power the bus while on the road or as an emergency backup power for the house.
  • Some solid tie downs for the 4x4s and quads
  • Fueling Station to easily refuel to toys.
  • A mount for another winch in the garage area so we can pull broken down toys into the garage if need be.
  • Install a TV for the kids.

I believe that is the short of it thus far. Likely will be a slow build since I have alot of projects on the go so don't hold your breath for updates.
Old 11-17-2019, 07:37 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Here is a little video of the operation of the winch to lower and raise the rear ramp...

Definitely need to put some external latches on it just to be safe while going down the HWY.

https://youtu.be/alzu0JNkue0
Old 11-17-2019, 08:50 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Chassis: IH 3800
Engine: DT360
Rated Cap: 66
Like the plans and actually doing something similar right now.

May I suggest a rework of the back door over the bus. Looks like the corners would catch a lot of wind and such. May not be an issue but something to consider.

Otherwise, keep plugging along and good luck!
Old 11-17-2019, 09:12 PM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

In order for the ramp to work it needs to be squared.. now that it is for 4x4s could round it to match the profile of the bus better and just crawl up the corners... could always use some sheet metal to gradually push the wind out of the way.. but TBH I don't think it will be much different than a couple of roof mounted AC units, or roof top decks, or roof mounted solar panels so I am not too worried.
Old 11-18-2019, 08:02 PM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

Here is a little tour of the bus with talks of the basic plans I have for it:

" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">
Old 11-19-2019, 08:03 PM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

Video clip of the undercarriage in the dove tail section to see how that was built.

" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">
Old 12-05-2019, 09:34 PM   #10
Mini-Skoolie

Finally got some time to work on the bus this evening... Started pulling out some stuff that the previous installed, so I can make way for some of my personal touches..

One of the things I removed was some big ass speaker boxes, previous owner was a radio DJ and loved his music.. However a good compact bluetooth system is more than enough for myself so they had to go.

In removing them they revealed a rear heater core as well as some shelving.. Now the shelving I assumed based on the floor plan on the bus and that was one of the things I was after including more floor space.

However.. removing the speakers also revealed a wonderful surprise.. in the form of a heavy duty tie down plate that has a winch mount plate and a recovery point if a snatch strap is required. Definitely a bonus and something I had planned to add myself.

Next up is removing the old couches to make way for the 3way bench seats.