Old 05-08-2010, 10:37 AM   #31
Bus Nut

Year: 1981
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Ford B-600
Engine: Ford 370 Propane
Rated Cap: 48
Re: It begins!

You were very smart to stop using the angle grinder. Sparks and shorts and bits of broken cut-off wheel do not mix. It could have been a traumatic vasectomy! Don't forget the eye protection as well when you go to cut the bolts off. Keep up the good work, and don't forget the camera. We all like pics...
jkindt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 09:55 PM   #32
Skoolie

Year: 1999
Coachwork: AmTran RE
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 72

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkindt
You were very smart to stop using the angle grinder. Sparks and shorts and bits of broken cut-off wheel do not mix. It could have been a traumatic vasectomy! Don't forget the eye protection as well when you go to cut the bolts off. Keep up the good work, and don't forget the camera. We all like pics...
I have the eye protection - I bought one of those full face shields like I saw on (I believe) your thread. I didn't plan on doing anything with the grinder last night, but it was a new tool so of course I had to test it. Next time I'll be fully prepared.
Old 05-18-2010, 07:13 PM   #33
Skoolie

Question: What's the traditional skoolie ritual to celebrate the removal of the first seat?

Old 05-18-2010, 07:24 PM   #34
Site Team

Six pack of beer.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 07:48 PM   #35
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycal
Six pack of beer.
Works for me.
Old 05-18-2010, 08:08 PM   #36
Bus Nut

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American
Engine: 3208 na boat anchor
Rated Cap: 2

One traditional celebration is to dribble your blood inside the bus. The bus needs to be blessed by your blood, because the bus gods demand it. An angle grinder is more than happy to help you do this.
bus-bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 08:21 PM   #37
Skoolie

Does bleeding from wiping my forehead without realizing I had metal shavings on my hand from drilling out a sheet metal screw count?

I saw some pics of what angle grinders can do, so I used protection. I wore the welding gloves and apron I bought at Harbor Freight to go with the welder I just got (which will probably stay in an unopened box for a couple more weeks, but hey, it was on sale!)
Old 05-18-2010, 09:34 PM   #38
Bus Nut

Year: 1981
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Ford B-600
Engine: Ford 370 Propane
Rated Cap: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by busdriver_phil
Does bleeding from wiping my forehead without realizing I had metal shavings on my hand from drilling out a sheet metal screw count?
Funny you mention that. I did that exact thing a couple days ago. Drilling pilot holes for installing the roof vent and then wiped my arm across my forehead with a load of metal shavings. Not fun!!
jkindt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 11:06 PM   #39
Bus Nut

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American
Engine: 3208 na boat anchor
Rated Cap: 2

The blessing requires human blood (yours) and pain. That is why the angle grinder is soo handy--it doth give much pain.
bus-bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 09:07 PM   #40
Skoolie

Got some more work done today. 2/3 of the seats are now out, should have the rest out in a couple days, excluding the first row. I have some friends coming up next weekend and we're gonna take it out for a spin since I got my plates last week.

I'm planning to reuse some of the seat covers and foam for upholstery. After that, I'll see if I can make a few bucks selling any good ones that are left to the company I work for. They're stacked up in the bus for now, but once I get all the frames in the shed I'll pile the light stuff on top.

Another important step - got started with painting. It's registered as gray, and I want it mostly gray before I take it on the road next weekend. Roof will be white, window posts black, primary color below the windows will be silver (decided today on Rustoleum Aluminum), and various TBD stripes will be a darker gray and a bright blue. I want to get the silver below the windows done this week.

I rolled on the Rustoleum. I thinned it 50/50 with mineral spirits, and used a high-density foam roller. I was amazed how smooth it came out. I've sprayed with an HVLP gun before, but with nowhere to spray inside and a neighbor who would call EPA, I didn't have much choice. I was hoping to at least get it looking good from 10+ feet away, but I was pretty impressed with the lack of texture. There are a couple panels that look uneven, like I didn't mix the paint enough, but I'll add another coat when I do the next section. The other nice thing about rolling is that it's much easier to re-do small sections, so I can paint it now without having all the bodywork done and the holes cut yet.