Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-17-2015, 08:54 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2002
Coachwork: me
Engine: Cat 3126
Miss Sandy Roads

Hello, Been here looking around reading a bit and decided to add our “RV” Build (Yes, its a RV We decided to go this route because it just made a hell of a lot more sense than buying a used RV for 15k…

She is a 2002 Thomas Built with the good old CAT 3126B and Allison 148k miles. We live in the Detroit Mi Area, so you can guess why we decide to get our bus from the south. Drove to Richmond VA to get her. And glad we did. She is in very nice shape.

We will be full timing in her come end of next summer. We own a home and all the other stuff that goes with it. We are selling EVERYTHING (not relating to the journey at hand) and moving south. My lady is from Florida and she is not a fan of winter. I can't say I am either.

Long story short we are just like many other full timers. We came to the conclusion that the regular 9-5 rat race was taking a toll on us. She had a higher stress job with unrealistic deadlines and my job required a lot of standing which was killing my back (Back issues) along with the 60 minute daily commute.

Our Facebook is - Sandy Toes Open Roads

27 foot Forward Control. This was the perfect size we were looking for. Not to small and not to big.. Should be able to go many places. And look at that wheel base! Great turning radius! I followed some wise advice I read in a forum, "The right bus will find you"

She fit snuggly behind the house. I live on a postage stamp size lot.

Ceiling and insulation came out no problem. I found no sign of mold and not much rust. Also you can see we removed the excess wiring.

I found this small creature under a seat....

Bought 1 100W panel for now. I think I will build a "portable" folding 200w charge setup.

Ceiling out.

mdl76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 09:29 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: Amtran
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 71
Welcome

Welcome, I see you're going to do some solar, this blog has lots of great info: https://handybobsolar.wordpress.com/...ging-puzzle-2/
Enjoy the ride.
Old 10-17-2015, 09:56 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Welcome! --- Nice looking and nice sized rig. Keep the pix coming.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 10:21 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1978
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: International
Engine: International 392 V-8 gas
Rated Cap: 72 passengers
I just was at my local auto wreck yard and they had a whole row of busses acting as a fence. I asked the kid working if they were selling and he said no. so I asked to see the owner who said he would be interested in selling.the only one easy to get to is exactly the same as that one. i think I can get it cheap as there is a tranny issue
chardog1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 10:25 AM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nebuchadnezzar View Post
Welcome, I see you're going to do some solar, this blog has lots of great info: https://handybobsolar.wordpress.com/...ging-puzzle-2/
Enjoy the ride.
I LOVE Handy Bob's page! Ive read about 3% of his content so far as he goes into Awesome detail about solar.... Def a great page! ROCK ON HANDY BOB!
Old 10-18-2015, 05:03 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Here are the current things I'm reseaching

-Rust/Paint products
I bought a small size of rust bullet (both inhibitor and black shell). I also like like sound Masterseries. These cost 3 -4 times the price of Rust-Oleum but are support to be the best. But I can not find anything bad on the Rust-oleum. All the reviews I read are good.

-Solar Charge controller
I'm liking the looks of Morningstar Products. They seem to provide schematics and all kinds of good info. Also the biggest thing is that it sounds as these have the best algorithms for keeping batteries tip top shape.

-Insulation
Long story short, most likely foam boards. I don't know if I trust spray foam and the cost is big. I know its about THE BEST for insulation, but Im concerned about toxins. I know its supposed to be inert once cured, but I have read a lot of stories how even months after have gotten people sick. Also, We will be staying in warm climates. NO MORE WINTERS!
Old 10-18-2015, 06:47 PM   #7
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu
Go to.busconversions.com and look under Bus Topics for "Rustoleum Fail" posted today. Just some food for thought. I have found Rustoleum to "fade" or "chalk out" after a year and a half or so but used it on the top of my bus anyway. I plan to scuff and re-coat each year and keep a close eye on it between coats.
ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 05:40 PM   #8
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Thomas
Engine: Cat 3126e
Rated Cap: 28
GREAT MINDS THINK ALIKE!

What a perfect looking and size bus! almost thought it was mine for a moment

Congrats on the find!
Josiahdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 10:24 AM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

Things I'm looking into

Sealing the roof! (most important thing to me, keep out the water!)
I am currently thinking how to seal up the roof.. I order 100ft of Eternabond tape and will be using it to cover ALL the seem/rivet joints. then I will be painting the roof with henry 687. I don't think the tape is that paintable as is... I will be looking into that. Maybe a chemical prep to make it paintable?

Inside Framing/Floor
Then thinking of the inside, Im going to get most likely Zero Rust after going over with ospho. Zero rust states it can go over galvanized... I will do a test area first. I was going to use Rust-oleium but it does not take to galvanized from what I hear.
Old 10-28-2015, 10:40 AM   #10
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Rated Cap: 15
Rustoleum does well on it, after ospho. The ospho etches the surface.
That's what I'm using and have used in the past with good results.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 10:09 PM   #11
Mini-Skoolie

just did my oil change... 3126b cat with deep sump! 30 quarts of oil! now thats some capacity