Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-28-2012, 09:53 AM   #181
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89
Re: 1974 Model 05 Silver Eagle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadluc
i'm waiting for it to rain to see how the bus moves thru the mud. because the eagle has the drive axle behind the tag axle with the DD over it , i would think this bus could move thru anything. most coach busses have the drive axle in front of the tag and they hit a little soft spot and just spin out. i can't wait to test this and see how it moves in the mud.

Excuse me but....
Left me know when that happens. David & I will come over and bring our folding chairs to watch. I'll take pics! I know the "great traction" our Eagle had.

https://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
https://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 10:17 AM   #182
Bus Crazy

First... all a/c units should be tilted down at the back to allow condensate to drain... that being said, if one has an a/c unit actually inside the bus, and just vents the back, be sure to tilt it a bit and glue in a small hose for a drain so water wont get on the floor..
A/c units can be put in the bays as they will just blow air up via your furnace ducting that you put in there.. I would have put the a/c in there... I didnt on my thomas bus cause i have 8 tanks, steps, a battery compartment and so forth in it.
Free furnace ducting along with the registers, etc can be had from many scrapped s/s... I know... i have a bunch of that stuff that's going in the trash soon if someone doesn't want it...

and, a normal house a/c unit could even go in the roof, if a proper box was securely mounted and correctly sealed, etc so that it would still function and keep dry.. I have considered doing this and just putting a standard duo therm lid over the whole thing...
just my two cents worth.
Old 03-30-2012, 08:04 PM   #183
Skoolie

Year: 1974
Coachwork: American eagle
Chassis: Silver Eagle
Engine: Screaming Jimmy 8v-71
Rated Cap: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenazarios
your bus is looking great! I hope you don't mind me stealing all of your ideas in my bus.

Best idea don'
t blow thru your money and feel broke all the time. work a little save a little and you will get it done
Old 04-01-2012, 09:12 PM   #184
Skoolie

head for Los Angeles ETA: 10 hrs. i got the bus all settled in here in New Mexico. But Work calls. I got a job driving for Prime OTR (over the Road) trucking. need to drop dogs of with friends in LA and get to the terminal by wednesday in Salt lake City. I will post some new pics and info of how the job goes. Starts at flate rate of 600./week training first 3 months. http://www.truckingtruth.com/free_truck ... prime.html
Old 04-02-2012, 05:22 AM   #185
Skoolie

Year: 1999
Coachwork: ElDorado
Chassis: Chevy P30
Engine: 7.4 liter 454 Chevy
Rated Cap: 24

You got a Job With a company? GREAT..
Are you going to their drivers school?
Are you going to "lease" one of their trucks?
Most time they tell you the cents per mile is $.85 around there and below that.
You actually need around 1.50-2.00 today per mile to make decent money.
YOU for that "leased" truck from them costs you thousands per month to "Lease" or "Own" if you were dumb enough to finance it through them.
ALL the fuel ( at least $4.50 a gallon at 5-7 mpg ), insurance ( this company is self insured PROFIT $$ ), license ( thousands $$ ) , repairs ( Thousands $$ through them PROFIT $$ ), Maintenance ( Thousands $$ MORE PROFIT FOR THEM $$ ), and much much more YOU pay for - TO THEM; allot of profit for THEM.

If you get stuck with a nasty fleet manager and THEY ARE THE ONE'S WHO DETERMINE YOUR WEEKLY MILES..
You need around a constant 2500 PER WEEK.. 500 miles per day for log book weekly hour maximum.. Depends if your running wither the 5 or 6 days week log book.
Statue of limitations has long past; BUT I had to run THREE LOG BOOKS.
This company and many others use logbook software and they charge you for it.. $23,000.00 for 375 licenses and other software that you will use..

If there is any lay over pay and also for lay over for holidays?
Dead Heading is money lost for YOU OUT OF YOUR POCKET.
I can go on and on.

ONE VERY IMPORTANT THING... READ THE PAPER WORK COMPLETELY...
If they let you and most likely they won't take it with you and have a lawyer go over it if you DO NOT UNDERSTAND THE WHOLE CONTRACT AND WHAT IT MEANS...
IF legal covertly record any and all contractual, dispatching, and any business discussions and phone calls..

My history I was one of those "Super Truckers" a while ago ( over twenty straight years gear jamming ); before all those computer engine management, auto trans missions; I'd like to see a new rookie shift 5x5 or one of the others I had to.

In ending a "Company" can and WILL boot a L/O or a Driver out of the truck at anytime or any where; I HAVE SEEN IT.

I wish you all the luck and as mentioned I have seen allot of "drivers" chewed up and crapped out by this industry..
From your post this company is paying you $600.00 per week?
I would watch out and keep my eyes, ears very very wide open with mouth shut tight..
HuH? This company doesn't hire just "drivers"?
Your training is in the truck with an "instructor driver" after "class"?

They don't like you they can really screw you over with the DAC/USIS driver reporting system.. Ever hear of being "black balled"?
http://www.indeed.com/forum/job/driver/ ... HT/t176297
http://www.truckflix.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1138
http://www.thecybertruckstop.com/DS/dac-info.html
Bullwhacker007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 10:22 AM   #186
Bus Nut

Year: 1992
Chassis: All American RE
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72

Congrats on landing a job.

I have only about 4 years experience OTR so take what I'm about to say with a grain of salt...

1. Please do not lease a truck from Prime. They will try to "sell" you on the idea. Painting all sorts of rosy pictures. My opinion, either stay a company driver or at least get a few years under your belt before becoming an Owner Operator. Prime is notious for cranking out new grads and leasing them a $140,000 Peterbilt 379 with tons of chrome. It's a very, very tough way to make any money.

2. Feel free to drop me a pm or email if you have any questions or need someone to bounce some idea's off of.

Take care, have fun and keep the rubber side down. You'll do fine.
syke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 07:02 PM   #187
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1988
Coachwork: International
Chassis: Bluebird
Engine: International something
Rated Cap: 66

Is there a way of installing the window units facing up through the floor maybe coming up in one of the storage areas inside the bus, or would the free on mess up and the unit not work. The unit would be facing upwards so to speak and then i would duct the three supply lines. would this work?
Attached Thumbnails
Untitled.jpg  
garbemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 08:08 PM   #188
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by garbemi
... The unit would be facing upwards so to speak ...
I believe that you would need to keep the AC unit "horizontal" (due to the compressor) and duct both the air return AND the resultant cooled air.. You would also need to supply fresh air to the compressor motor. I may be wrong.
Old 04-02-2012, 08:58 PM   #189
Skoolie

Send a message via ICQ to mightybus

Only the compressor needs to remain horizontal due to the lubrication requirements of the hermetically sealed motor and compressor. It has an internal oil pan. The rest of the ac can be placed in any direction as long as efficient heat transfer is maintained for the condenser and the evaporator.
mightybus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 03:17 AM   #190
Bus Crazy

me thinks the evaporator and condensor needs to be vertical as well as the compressor.. all you have to do is to build a 4 inch or so tin box so that the conditioned air is in a register in the floor.. Especially if you have one of the newer air conditioners that have a remote control.. (I have a remote controlled one in the bedroom of my bus - and remote controlled lights, etc) You also need access to clean the filter, and may want to move the thermostat wire to a different position. The normal two controls can in many instances be moved a bit as well.
Old 04-03-2012, 09:54 AM   #191
Skoolie

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Super Coach II, 36 Ft. RE
Engine: Cat 3208T, MT643

I'm not a HVAC expert, but it seems to me that since cold air is denser than warm air, you would want your cold air supply to be ducted all the way up to the ceiling so that you end up with a more even temperature throughout the bus, rather than cold air near the floor and warm air at head level. The opposite would apply for heating. I assume that's why air conditioners are typically installed on the roof, while furnaces have their ducted registers near the floor.

Children drink kOOlaid, adults drink T.E.A.

Gallery: https://www.skoolie.net/gallery/v/Skooli ... +Coach+II/
Locutus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 12:54 PM   #192
Skoolie

I passed all my D.O.T physical, Drug Screening, and background check. My next class is at 3:00pm CDL Course. I take My Class A DL permit exam in morning, if I pass I will be on the road by SAT. Prime Trucking School has been good so far .
Old 04-10-2012, 02:18 PM   #193
Bus Nut

Year: 94
Coachwork: b/b
Chassis: tc2000
Engine: 5.9
Rated Cap: 72

i feel sorry for u,,,,those baster f***#ME A FEW YRS BACK,I HAD WORK FOR THEM FOR 6 YRS,,NEVER LATE ON DELIVEY I WAS OTR DRIVER WITH THERE TRUCK DON;T BUY ONE OF THERES ,,ULL PAY FOR IT THE REST OF YOUR LIFE...
keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 05:23 PM   #194
Bus Geek

Quote:
I passed all my D.O.T physical, Drug Screening, and background check. My next class is at 3:00pm CDL Course. I take My Class A DL permit exam in morning, if I pass I will be on the road by SAT. Prime Trucking School has been good so far .
Good luck with the test.
Old 04-10-2012, 07:08 PM   #195
Bus Geek

Quote:
Keep your head screwed on semi straight....and go for it...good luck
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 06:24 PM   #196
Skoolie

test whent fine passed everything ,i leave the terminal to start a 3000 mile week sat 12:00noon
Old 04-12-2012, 06:43 PM   #197
Bus Geek

The way the wind is blowing, you might find your Eagle in Colorado when you get back. Or buried in the dust!
Old 04-12-2012, 09:05 PM   #198
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lornaschinske
The way the wind is blowing, you might find your Eagle in Colorado when you get back. Or buried in the dust!

yea it's bad uh. well i hope not to deep, I'll have to shovel it out when i'm ready to get off the road! that could be a while. wind is bad uh? Yea i'm sure she will start sinking when the rain comes. That dirt is like quick sand if you ever put water on it. Shes a tuff old girl. Older than i am!
Old 04-25-2012, 11:53 AM   #199
Mini-Skoolie

It's been a while since I checked on this thread. Pretty cool that you bought some land outside of town and can dry camp there legally. I'd like some details on how you are hauling in your fresh water and disposing of waste water. I assume your black tank is lower than the bed of your truck, requiring a pump of some kind to get it out. While I have a few theories on how that can be done, I'd like to know what is working for you.

BTW, hold on to that Ranger. I owned one for 15 years withe a 4 cylinder 5 speed and put 235,000 miles on it, and it was still running strong when I sold it.

Christoper
skoolz out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 03:55 PM   #200
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoolz out
... Pretty cool that you bought some land outside of town and can dry camp there legally...
NM is pretty lax about some things. We are living two or three miles from Chad's bus. We are about 1 mile from town and I drive 4 miles to work, thru town, on the 'far" side of town. I had someone at work comment on how we live "way outside of town in the country". In NC, we lived 13 miles from town at one time. Things are "different" here in NM.