Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-30-2012, 10:33 AM   #201
Skoolie

Year: 1974
Coachwork: American eagle
Chassis: Silver Eagle
Engine: Screaming Jimmy 8v-71
Rated Cap: 46
Re: 1974 Model 05 Silver Eagle

--

Old 04-30-2012, 10:43 AM   #202
Skoolie

--
Old 04-30-2012, 10:47 AM   #203
Skoolie

--
Old 04-30-2012, 04:28 PM   #204
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89

Darn! I was hoping it would be a great thing for you. Just keep your eye on the prize (cdl). You can survive this!
https://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
https://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 08:51 PM   #205
Skoolie

--
Old 05-04-2012, 10:46 PM   #206
Bus Geek

Take what you can from them and give them back only what they pay for. Look out for yourself first and foremost. Keep your opinions to yourself and be careful!
Old 05-04-2012, 11:59 PM   #207
Skoolie

Year: 1999
Coachwork: ElDorado
Chassis: Chevy P30
Engine: 7.4 liter 454 Chevy
Rated Cap: 24

Unfortunately you are finding out this is "normal" in the trucking business.

Going through 3 "Trainers" won't make you look good to this company and I had similar situation with "trainers" in the past.
I grit my teeth and dealt with it until I was okay'd to drive company truck by myself.
One "trainer" didn't or wouldn't let me go since he was a lazy bastard and spent allot of his time in the sleeper and I was logging his hours.Of course those hours went into his log book. I over heard him tell dispatch " thank God you sent some one who can drive" I wasn't a newbie and had at least 8 years driving already.

If you are really going to stick with it as for me I went over repo auction sites and government sites.
I scored a Fruehoff 45 foot refer and a three axle white freight-liner when they were still called that for 20,000.00 out the door.
I had an in-frame over haul done when the dyno run indicated engine problems.
When everything was done I had a whole rig bought and paid for around 35,000.00.
Brakes and everything had been gone through.
Sure it wasn't all shiny and pretty in the beginning; that came later during lay overs I did this and that to the rig.
When you don't have all the "mortgage" payments you can then dictate what you will haul and for the best dollar amount.

I spent many years pounding a screaming Detroit 318 all over the country. Popped in brown injectors and had a road ranger 15 gear transmission. Split shifting that I got allot of forward gears and five in reverse.

The people who really make the money is the "terminal" owner and any shop they have.

As already said you have to look out for yourself. Sounds hard and it is; but how will you survive if you don't.
Bullwhacker007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 11:20 AM   #208
Bus Nut

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Safe T Liner
Engine: 3208 turbo
Rated Cap: 84

The Railroads are retiering my generation of engineers so every railroad is hiring. Though my brother is team driving US mail LA to OKC twice a week look like a good run.
yankeflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 08:14 PM   #209
Skoolie

I got ya. yea I dont hate on anyone. I hope the lease works out for who even signs the contract, I can tell you not me. I just told the trainer nice and polite I was going to go company.That I did not come here to start a trucking company etc. Yes can you make money having your own truck? Dos an otr truck need to have a sleeper? I know my first trainer wanted to goto landstar.

Theres a website called proxibid.com I bought my 1994 blue bird school bus there. Once you register u can see the price of trucks if u search them. mostly goverment and farm auctions. but looks like you could pick a decent fleet truck for under 8000.?

Not looking to buy anything right now, btw.
Old 05-05-2012, 10:56 PM   #210
Bus Geek

Next thing you know, Chad will have bought himself a big old semi truck and will be talking about buying.... A FIFTH WHEEL!
Old 05-06-2012, 07:03 AM   #211
Skoolie

Lol. I'm not sure I want that.(a 5th wheel) lol. or a semi truck. But I had an idea to get a semi truck down the road w/sleeper , and use it to drive out to hollywood to live in and pull loads on the side for extra cash.run ad's on craigslist , "owner with semi truck class A license can move your large trailer(s)"

I need something i can do profitable , while I go back to los angeles to take acting classes etc.MMM i dont think I could ever part with the Eagle.So its up to how much i can save
Old 05-06-2012, 09:25 AM   #212
Bus Crazy

well, if ya dont use it often enough ya get your authority removed...
aint cheap for bond, tractor maintenance n tires, medical, etc.
i sold my truck, next door business has 2 just sitting...
just saying...
Old 05-06-2012, 01:09 PM   #213
Skoolie

Yea I'm proubly going to go otr just fr the year and get myself into the teamsters 399 union in hollywod. Just live in the bus the next few years until I work my way up the union board
l
Old 05-06-2012, 01:38 PM   #214
Bus Nut

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Safe T Liner
Engine: 3208 turbo
Rated Cap: 84

There are good paying jobs out there but you have to follow the work - North Dakota

http://www.ble-t.org/

http://www.ble-t.org/links/rail.asp
yankeflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 11:51 AM   #215
Mini-Skoolie

Pretty sad that those predatory lease programs seem to be going strong. Word has been out for a while how they are all scams. I'm surprised anyone is still falling for them. Sounds as if you stay in a company truck you'll be okay.

Chad, a while back I asked how you were hauling waste water from your bus to a dump station and how you are transporting fresh water in. I know that regular RV macerator pumps are only designed to push the waste a long distance over relatively flat ground and through a small hose. Probably not powerful enough to pump up into a 55 gallon drum or other transport tank that you might have in the bed of your pickup. I'd recently thought that a gas engine powered trash pump might do the job, passing soft solids with no trouble and easily having the lifting power.

Any time I think about hauling large quantities of fresh water, those 45 gallon collapsible bladder tanks that Camping World have seems like they would do the job. Could probably even drain by gravity into your fresh water holding tank if it were on the floor of a baggage bay, and would roll up for easy storage.

If you get the time, I'd like to know how you are handling the water and waste situation. Comments from others are certainly welcome too.

Christopher
skoolz out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 05:40 PM   #216
Skoolie

Well the bus was last in Hollywood.There, I drove the bus 10 miles to a rv dealer to dump / refill. Then i drove the bus to New mexico, and got a job driving truck OTR. So i have nor had to transport anything as of yet.
Old 05-10-2012, 05:48 PM   #217
Bus Geek

Chad...
It's been raining here since the hail storm on Monday.... Has your family that's here checked on your bus? The hail was fairly soft, so it mostly damaged plastic stuff. It seems to have been only on the South end of Roswell. Going thru town minutes after we were hit, there was virtually no sign of hail as we approached 2nd street. But the roads are standing in water from all the rain we have been getting.... It's lovely! Rain is supposed the be gone after Monday.
Old 05-10-2012, 06:04 PM   #218
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoolz out
... I know that regular RV macerator pumps are only designed to push the waste a long distance over relatively flat ground and through a small hose. Probably not powerful enough to pump up into a 55 gallon drum or other transport tank that you might have in the bed of your pickup.
Most of the macerater I have looked at has a pretty good head.of 5 to 6 ft. Others will do more but I can't see paying for a pump to lift a high head when the max head we would most likely have could be measured in inches. As for a macerator, I like Jake von Slatt's garbage disposal macerator. Used garbage disposals tend to be very cheap at thrift stores.... and we're cheap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoolz out
...Any time I think about hauling large quantities of fresh water, those 45 gallon collapsible bladder tanks that Camping World have seems like they would do the job. Could probably even drain by gravity into your fresh water holding tank if it were on the floor of a baggage bay, and would roll up for easy storage.
Out here, you could probably get someone to haul in a big container of drinking water and fill your holding tanks (and I would still filter it). Saw a truck just a few weeks ago that said "Rain for Rent". I think they are water haulers. I see a lot of big tanks on trailers out here. Looks like plain water in the translucent tanks.
Old 05-10-2012, 08:28 PM   #219
Skoolie

I'm sure the back of the bus is sunk. I talked to my aunt today she said it was raining and about the hail. I will get her to do a drive by.when I get home time thats not looking like another 2 months.
Old 05-11-2012, 07:31 AM   #220
Mini-Skoolie

I've seen Jake's macerator/disposal design and like it a lot because it is clever and cheap. While he says the pump head is good, I think he just pumps a long distance over flat ground, so in a sense the design is unproven for my intended use.

I've been checking craigslist for cheap used disposals, thinking that if I build one and it doesn't work for me I wouldn't be out a lot of money, and it could still be used to pump to a distant sewer outlet at ground level, which may be useful in the future.

Part of my interest in the trash pump is that I already own a pressure washer with a 5hp gas engine and I've found a trash pump head which will bolt onto that engine.

Christopher
skoolz out is offline   Reply With Quote