Old 03-19-2012, 09:16 PM   #121
Skoolie

Year: 1974
Coachwork: American eagle
Chassis: Silver Eagle
Engine: Screaming Jimmy 8v-71
Rated Cap: 46
Re: 1974 Model 05 Silver Eagle

Walmarts always hireing. That's becqase the type of people who live in roswell and get a job a almart think the can come to work high, or just not showup at all. And a lot of pople their can't pass the drug test
Old 03-19-2012, 09:24 PM   #122
Skoolie

I can get my job back their for sure. I know a lot of peple their and workd their before no issues. But id like to use it as a last resort. I just ned a small job, while I goto the colledg their to get my ged over the nxt few mon.ths.
Old 03-19-2012, 09:27 PM   #123
Skoolie

As to the drive iam goin thru demming righ now so should be in roswell by around 10pm. Yes I have hit some snow storms and lots of rain. The eagl is running 75 to 80mph.
Old 03-19-2012, 11:08 PM   #124
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89

The drug thing is bad in Socorro too. Drives my daughter who works at Family Dollar nuts. She keeps asking me how stupid can they be. It says right on the job app that you have to pass a drug test and then they are so surprised that they have to take a drug test. She came home one day after having something like 5 applicants fail their drug test and informed me that drugs makes people morons.
http://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
http://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 12:12 PM   #125
Skoolie

well as of last night iam stuck on the 70 in alamagordo,nm . i ran out of fuel have tryed 4 cans of strted fluid. I am out of idea's. if anyone knows how to start a 8v 71 please please let me know
Old 03-20-2012, 12:37 PM   #126
Bus Crazy

if the detroit isnt starting cause its outta fuel, you gotta make sure that both fuel filters are completely full, and it would be helpful to pressurize the fuel system prior to the primary filter..
I dont do the pressurizing, cause i make sure the filters, etc are full, but have cracked injector lines a bit. The main thing is to get it running so that the fuel will get to the injectors, and generally, if enough of them have fuel, the bus will start.
not a good idea to run a detriot outta fuel, but it happens.
the bus will start - just make sure that from the filters forward to the injectors there is fuel.
they also don't like tons of starting fluid...
hope this helps
Old 03-20-2012, 12:44 PM   #127
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/AT545

I'm not familiar with your particular engine, but generally speaking, if you run out of fuel with a diesel the system will have to be primed before the engine will start and run. There are various methods of doing that. My favorite is to open up the fuel system (ie: remove a fuel hose from a fitting) at a point just before the injection pump and pressurize the fuel tank with compressed air until the fuel is flowing out of the point at which I opened the system. This is best done with an assistant. Once the fuel is flowing in a nice stream, replace the hose and tighten it up. Then you will have to crank the engine until the fuel fills the injection pump and is sent to the injectors. You could also possibly accomplish the same thing by opening the system and cranking the engine to send the fuel from the tank that way as opposed to pressurizing it, but your batteries may die before you can get the system primed.

Okay, just saw chev49's post... yeah, fill your filters too. The pressurized priming method may fill them without you having to take them off and fill them manually, but I'm not sure about that. I always fill mine.
viewtopic.php?t=4959
Diesel Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 12:46 PM   #128
Skoolie

web are green for go.!!! i got it..i evene took video!! well i';m tired hungry and have to pack all these tools up hitch the car and get to a fuel station. roswell etxa 3 hrs.
Old 03-20-2012, 03:29 PM   #129
Bus Geek

You NEVER, NEVER, NEVER run a diesel out of fuel! Doesn't hurt to carry a 5 gallon jug of the stuff if you are traveling on a long trip. Especially out west where fuel stations are few and very far between (and no cellphone service).
Old 03-20-2012, 06:41 PM   #130
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceni John
...It's prudent to fill when the tank's down to a quarter full... you may want to think about installing a simple priming pump to avoid any future problems... The folk on BCM and BNO have lots of good ideas on priming Detroits...
Several of them have installed the priming pump AFTER they have run their buses down to fumes! That's where I learned about never running the fuel down like that. The extra (full) fuel can was based on my experience of running out of gas in the Class C. Unlike in the Southeast, all those little dots on the map in NM does NOT mean they will have a gas station/convenience store. It's a different world out here! And we like the rural back roads too much not to be carrying emergency fuel.

We bought two 5 gallon diesel fuel cans while in NC because when we bought the bus, we were told it didn't have enough fuel to get to a station and there were no fuel stations on the rural back roads we used to get the bus from Almond to Iotla Valley... they were wrong because the fuel gauge was broke (turns out the float had a hole in it which we soldered closed but we ended up with two nice new diesel jugs. They are in "storage" in Socorro. We will be keeping them. It's one of the things on our lengthening list of stuff to bring back with us when David has his checkup in ABQ. We will visit with the kids in Socorro on the way back... sans bus.