Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-28-2013, 01:55 PM   #261
Skoolie

Year: 1974
Coachwork: American eagle
Chassis: Silver Eagle
Engine: Screaming Jimmy 8v-71
Rated Cap: 46
Re: Model 05 Silver Eagle

I hhave not posted in a long time. first off I was in Quartzsite, Arizona for a few months staying off dome rock road on the BLM land while I took a crappy job driving truck from phx to LA with knight refrigerated. we are back in roswell,NM on our private paid for land. the brakes on the eagle our way due for servicing and i had to hold her in second gear down the mountains to make it home. needs new air dryer and chambers.

I built a home generator for the bus out of a 5.5hp honda engine and car alternator. I will get those pics up soon. In short its a high amp regulated charger ,that is simple, robust and fuel efficient. The proublem with a honda EU is that the are very complicated,ultra cheap due to keep weight down, no cast iron sleeve ,chrome or anything in the cylinder,so a little dirt or heavy use and the whole crap unit is junk. I run the honda 5.5hp with a car alternator hookd to a battery with an inverter. The engine runs at an idle as a honda EU but with a robust and commercial grade engineering engine with cast iron sleeve etc, the honda spins car alternator to charge battery bank, the system and run 110v appliances at a gas saving uncomplicated idle.

Old 12-28-2013, 05:55 PM   #262
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15

Welcome home. I like your choice of scenery! And I like the Honda/alternator set up, just wish I had room for one.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 08:05 PM   #263
Skoolie

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Phantom
Chassis: Gillig
Engine: Series 50

Good to see you post! I followed your story back when you were with Prime and have been wondering how you are. Do you still have William?

You'll have to post some pics of you gen setup. I've thought about building a setup like yours before, but without bays, it's a lot harder to pull off. At this point, I'm still contemplating what would serve me best.
LuckyChow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 01:38 PM   #264
Skoolie

Heres a few pics of our land in roswell,nm and the generator I built. I the past month i built a wall between the cab and kitchen to further more reduce heating costs and create more comfort.like i said a mobile RV or an RV in general is 12V. so why run a 110v generator to convert to 12v to charge a battery , and run a TV? With this setup , I can charge at 12V 90amps ,harnesse the energy into storage batterys to run lights,fantastic vents, then use an inverter to run my 48" samsung LED and I can run all this without the generator running by charging ,storing and using as needed. I have solar panels too , but this is the red giant for bulk charging.
The generator is located under the front of bus.

6" Steel drive pully from tractor supply $25.00 do not get die cast , the frame is a piece of steel I had laying around, that i bolted the engine down to,original pully on the alternator.

two pieces of heavy angle iron as the main support. the top support is for belt adjustment only

solid core door from home depot

access to the 12v honda generator from inside the bus,so I dont have to go out side at night or when its cold and windy or raining.

I have a duracell 2800 watt generator for heavy duty applications like power tools etc. portable water tank to get water.and the truck cap is being used as a dog house

Old 01-02-2014, 12:59 PM   #265
Skoolie

Yes the generator I agree can be improved by using a permanent magnet alternator, and the torque of the engine. Put a 2" pully on the engine and gear down the alternator by putting a 8" pulley on the PMA, because a PMA can produce power at as little as 300RPM (or lower) to 800RPM. but that all costs money. I'm charging just a small bank of 3 flooded wet deep cycles. if I upgraded to some nice AGM trojans , i would upgrade to the charging system to exactly what you speak of.
Old 01-30-2014, 05:35 PM   #266
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89

Breaking my silence to break the news first...

CONGRADULATIONS! Chadluc and Jeanette got married AND are new parents. New Year, new life, new job. WOW!
https://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
https://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 05:55 PM   #267
Bus Geek

Congrates and best wishes for a great journey

Lorna thanks for letting us know
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 04:15 PM   #268
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lornaschinske
Breaking my silence to break the news first...

CONGRADULATIONS! Chadluc and Jeanette got married AND are new parents. New Year, new life, new job. WOW!

yes we will have to post some family pics. You should stop by. were home if my ranger is there. i work nights and home during the day by 8am. dont worry im not tired during the day, I have a 5 hr lay over where i sleep in lubbock while the mail is processed. so im home and up most the day. you should stop by and see the new outdoor antenna from radio shack i picked up. it was the biggest they had for sale,.
Old 02-13-2014, 04:31 PM   #269
Skoolie

few upgrades last week. I installed a outdoor antenna from radio shack. which works very well. all the antennas fold in so its pretty easy to move te bus as I just leave it secured to the bus and fold in all the little antennas.I also upgraded to a 20" range. the model is hotpoint.I also added fire extinguishers and smoke detectors.

[url=http://s83.photobucket.com/user/chadluc/media/IMG_1069_zpsb39ae1f5.jpg.html][IMG]

[url=http://s83.photobucket.com/user/chadluc/media/IMG_1065_zpsfbc4ce34.jpg.html][img]
Old 02-13-2014, 07:30 PM   #270
Skoolie

Year: 1985
Coachwork: Wayne Chaperone
Chassis: chevy
Engine: 350

Oh my, what a precious baby.
schoolmarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 09:10 PM   #271
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/AT545

Awwww!
viewtopic.php?t=4959
Diesel Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 01:47 PM   #272
Skoolie

did a little more work on the eagle this week, and framed in the new stove.

Old 02-18-2014, 06:18 PM   #273
Bus Crazy

Year: 1976
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Supercoach
Engine: Detroit 6-71 Mid-Ship Mounted
Rated Cap: 79 at Birth

Like the work on the kitchen area...looks great
Old 05-10-2014, 03:52 PM   #274
Skoolie

been working on the front area. heres a few pics.I put tounge and groove boards up in the dinette area to create rooms. instead of everything matching as 1 big space. still some work to do with framing the windows with wood and a couple other things. bought some led lights of amazon they are amazing and only use 1.5 watts. got the light assembly with led bulbs for 25.00. I put two in th bedroom and plan to order a bunch to do the whole bus in.

Old 05-10-2014, 05:55 PM   #275
Bus Nut

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DT360
Rated Cap: 72

Very cool, I like how big the area looks, hallway on the side wouldn't work for my height but it makes a rad layout, had to look for the rounded ceiling to confirm it's a bus.
Old 05-10-2014, 10:13 PM   #276
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyedeal.ink
Very cool, I like how big the area looks, hallway on the side wouldn't work for my height but it makes a rad layout, had to look for the rounded ceiling to confirm it's a bus.

Yea I try to take pictures without as much roundness or ceiling as I have not finished mine. Not sure what to do carpet,wood ? leave it ?
Old 05-11-2014, 09:41 AM   #277
Skoolie

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: Cummins 5.9

How well is the portable ac cooling the bus. I am assuming thats what the silver upright device in the pictures is. Or is that a dehumidifier. I am considering the use of a similar ac unit because of cost and perceived efficiency of these units. I am mainly concerned with the units ability to cool the square footage they spec them out at.
Old 05-11-2014, 10:25 AM   #278
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu

I have three of the free standing units. Two are conventional A/C's and one is a combo A/C and heat pump (originally slated for my bus but replaced with a conventional window AC due to space limitations). Each was rated at 13K BTUs and each deliver in reality as measured with an anemometer and a dial thermometer about the same cooling as the 6K window unit I actually used.
The power usage of the window unit is substantially less than that of the free standing units though it is a bit nosier. BTW if you can stand a few dings and scratches in exchange for a cheap price, Amazon is a good place to pickup an AC. My 6K unit was $99 shipped.
ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 02:42 PM   #279
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny76
How well is the portable ac cooling the bus. I am assuming thats what the silver upright device in the pictures is. Or is that a dehumidifier. I am considering the use of a similar ac unit because of cost and perceived efficiency of these units. I am mainly concerned with the units ability to cool the square footage they spec them out at.
That is a swamp cooler. it works pretty well if you live in the middle of a desert like me.but if I go back to los angeles I could not use it.I wouldn't buy a portable a/c they are junk and not efficient.I mena it will cool your bus but it has the lowest efficentcy of any A/C. much lower than a window A/C. its all about the SEER rating. if your going to spend money to add a/c go with a mini split with a high seer rateing. home depot has a unit called gree 27 SEER >>> http://www.homedepot.com/p/GREE-Ultra-E ... ifications

I'm buying that to cool the bus. only 350 watts. run off Honda EU 1000.the mini splits also have inverter compressors (variable speed compressor) so you don't get the surge of a standard A/C . I'll mount the outdoor unit under the bus or for you I would mount it on the back of the bus. I have done a lot of research in A/C . and the mini split is the highest efficiency system to install. you could put roof top a/c. but they are the worst deign on the market out of any A/C setup I don't know why they keep making them??? they have super efficient mini split units all tractor trailers run for A/C when the engine is off. There are much better products on the market and that's the mini split. just use a step up 110v to 220v transformer for the mini split. theres people running them off solar. fijisu has a great unit for 1500. its a 27.5 seer the highest of any mini split. only 300 or so watts.but the gree is a much better value. your electric meter or generator will love you.
Old 05-11-2014, 06:57 PM   #280
Skoolie

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: Cummins 5.9

Well honestly if I was going to drop $1200 on the AC I would fix the bus air and add a 120v compressor to it some how. Not exactly cost efficient for my purposes to use that mini split unit. I also would be concerned with its ability to tolerate vibrations going down the road.