Old 03-20-2012, 11:05 PM   #131
Skoolie

Year: 1974
Coachwork: American eagle
Chassis: Silver Eagle
Engine: Screaming Jimmy 8v-71
Rated Cap: 46
Re: 1974 Model 05 Silver Eagle

Made it to Roswell. Yes I ran out in White Sands just before Alamagordo. I made the first 20 miles trip (40)miles round trip) to get 2 5 gallon jugs of fuel. knowing that proubly will not be enough, i made a second trip. on the second trip, my ranger needed gas to, so to save time, i put my ranger at the gas pump and set my fuel cans at the deisel pump,well i whent in and paidn and came outr and my cans were gone! then i had to back track to walmart 4 miles more to buy new cans.
Old 03-20-2012, 11:11 PM   #132
Skoolie

but i made about 5 trips total to get the bus running. had to make a special trip to get starting fluid after my 2 back up cans ran out.

here is what i did>

after filling both filters, and trying 4 cans of starting fluid, most that did not make it to the engine , wind wind wind, and a few hours of cranking. i took a nap 2am woke up and did some more on and of cranking and starter fluid shots.

Then,

left the air cleaner in place and the cap. Ued a blow dryer to heat it up for about 30 mins. then removed blow dryer, shot the air cleaner with starter fluid. and started firing. the second try it started and took off and ran fine. when i throttled up the engine did "run away" but i shut it down with a rag. i restarted all was fine. i have this on video i will post
Old 03-20-2012, 11:29 PM   #133
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DTA360
Rated Cap: 16

Glad you made it... I ran mine out of fuel once and had to crack open the fuel line right where it splits up to go to the injectors... I would crank it for a bit then crack it open... After a few times it started and smoothed out in a few minutes...

My bus has a button for ether start... Not sure where the can of ether goes, but I haven't really looked into it yet... Also have a circulating block heater... It doesn't get crazy cold here, but it is a lot easier to start in the cold when it's been plugged in... Mine only has to crank a few times before it starts, even in the cold...
dirtygoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 02:18 PM   #134
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lornaschinske
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceni John
...It's prudent to fill when the tank's down to a quarter full... you may want to think about installing a simple priming pump to avoid any future problems... The folk on BCM and BNO have lots of good ideas on priming Detroits...
Several of them have installed the priming pump AFTER they have run their buses down to fumes! That's where I learned about never running the fuel down like that. The extra (full) fuel can was based on my experience of running out of gas in the Class C. Unlike in the Southeast, all those little dots on the map in NM does NOT mean they will have a gas station/convenience store. It's a different world out here! And we like the rural back roads too much not to be carrying emergency fuel.

We bought two 5 gallon diesel fuel cans while in NC because when we bought the bus, we were told it didn't have enough fuel to get to a station and there were no fuel stations on the rural back roads we used to get the bus from Almond to Iotla Valley... they were wrong because the fuel gauge was broke (turns out the float had a hole in it which we soldered closed but we ended up with two nice new diesel jugs. They are in "storage" in Socorro. We will be keeping them. It's one of the things on our lengthening list of stuff to bring back with us when David has his checkup in ABQ. We will visit with the kids in Socorro on the way back... sans bus.

I seen david today at his food cart. aha i spoted that thing from far away!! I was like i know that cart! i would of like to take a picture but the camera was at home. i'll come up this week and try a sandwich. u ever think of doing alien themed stuff? out of this world hambuger...n or alien soup? lol maybe get a big stuffed alien and hang it on a noose ?
Old 03-21-2012, 07:30 PM   #135
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89

David is so PO'ed about the business licenses going up (from $25 per month to $35 per month... regular brix-&-mortar restaurant pays $35 per year) that he says no more after the state permit runs out in august. I'm searching for an alternative now.
http://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
http://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 09:31 PM   #136
Skoolie

hopefully you can figure it out.n long as he enjoys to do the cart , i would pay ther 35. kinda sucks but thats not to bad still. well i got the bus parked and everything at the property. kind nighbor came out to introduce him self. seeing as the propoerty i bought is in the middle surrounded by trailers on 3 sides.i'm smack in the middle! i stick out big time. i'll take a few photo's tommorow. lots of dirt here. wind was not bad today but the nighbor told me it is a brown out around here when the winds get going. f... guess that painting respirator will come in hand om those days
Old 03-21-2012, 09:51 PM   #137
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89

Good that you got it in there. It gets pretty brown out here too. I've got fine dust everywhere. The fuzzy dust strip on the windows just can't hold up to the dirt here. I think we may have to build plexiglass "storm windows" for the bus. I will install them on the inside because I like to open the windows on decent days (easy to remove if inside). I hate a closed up RV even in winter. But that will be later. Got too many other things to do first.
http://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
http://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 10:07 PM   #138
Skoolie

if i see nighbors , i'll tell them i'm prepping for the end of the world...doomsday
Old 03-22-2012, 11:02 AM   #139
Skoolie

letting all of you know , land is still avialable for those who want to buy cheap and live free in thier bus. here are my pics of new location. nighbors are really nice.This is a subdivisition out side roswell,nm

this guy lives lust a few lots over
Old 03-22-2012, 02:13 PM   #140
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/AT545

I think you should make an endless loop of "Dust in the Wind" by Kansas and play it until you either go insane or achieve enlightenment
viewtopic.php?t=4959
Diesel Dan is offline   Reply With Quote