Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-09-2011, 12:45 PM   #21
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/AT545
Re: 1974 Model 05 Silver Eagle

I notice you have a lot of what appears to be unsecured furniture (tables, chairs, etc.) in your bus. Do you just not drive it often? How do you deal with all that stuff when you do drive?

viewtopic.php?t=4959
Diesel Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 10:18 PM   #22
Skoolie

Year: 1974
Coachwork: American eagle
Chassis: Silver Eagle
Engine: Screaming Jimmy 8v-71
Rated Cap: 46

--
Old 11-12-2011, 10:36 AM   #23
Skoolie

finished up the rear office/bedroom this week. All this white is primer. I will probably paint with a light tan color. Priming the ceiling really helped a ton. It smells like a new RV inside. I also sealed shut the top windows and paneled and framed over them. SO all you see now is a nice square window. The seals and the top windows were so shot there was really no way to save them so they didn't leak without replacing the whole window..which i'm not doing. I will install maybe 2 of those fantastic vents(they are roof mounted vents with fans installed in them. I did insulate all this as well . I don't think the sun hitting the rear of the bus is going to bother me this coming summer!

I have named the bus to. I decided on the name The Big Defender

The rear bedroom construction is complete for the most part. I can add cabnets later on.Netx is the kitchen..but i will proubly wait a month or 2 to start that

Here's a few photo's of the work

Old 11-12-2011, 06:24 PM   #24
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadluc
I do have L brakets on the desk and bed... I do move it ofton..I drive it slow! also this bus (not to brag) has Air throttle control. it is a very interesting enginering addition.n when I throttle up, the bus throttles up vewry slow and gently. That helps alot when accelerating becuase it is not jerky. It couldn't jerk ,unless you poped the clutch...which would just stall the engine. It from accelerating to stopping everything is very gentle. The silver eagle coach is just that also. No leaf springs. Coach has Eagle torsalistic suspention. Better ride than air... I had a tc2000 school bus..it rode like a dump truck. I feel for you guys. I hated my bus. It rode ruff and rugged in general. very awful machine to operate. small bumps were like hitting giant pot holes. So I can see why u would wonder
The others might buy that but I had an Eagle. Sure the torsalastic suspension is great on a rough road. But compared to our Blue Bird, it wasn't THAT much smoother of a ride. Also the suspension is very pricey to repair (along with most anything else on the coach). The Eagle was faster on the highway but the Blue Bird climbs hills better. Tie down all your furniture and lock the cabinet/refrigerator doors closed. You don't want to be taken out by a jar of mayo flying thru the air! Another word of wisdom. NEVER lift the wheels of the eagle off the ground when you are trying to level up! It will damage the torsalastic suspension. I do miss those bays though. And the HUGE AC/DC alternator that was on the bus (David forgot to put in in the back of the Blue Bird before heading out here... bummer)

Shame you aren't in Roswell anymore. We are heading there this week (moving). I still have my Eagle 05 bus manual from Eagle Bus and Car. I need to find someone who can use it. If I see LeRoy again I'll ask him if he wants it. Did you see his bus, Liberty, in the BCM centerfold (November 2011)?
https://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
https://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 06:28 PM   #25
Skoolie

Alot more progress over the last week and weekend. just finished up interior paint,. whernt with a flat while and a martha stewart maroon called "Barn" Next is the kitchen .I can add and buiuld some cabniets in the rear aliung the way..The major thing now is to focuis on counter tops,and the kitchen layout. Once I build it in it will be hard to remove!.But man I tell ya she is comming together now...well I know u enoy photo's so here is my unplanned but well equipted layout,

Old 11-13-2011, 06:35 PM   #26
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lornaschinske
Quote:
I do have L brakets on the desk and bed... I do move it ofton..I drive it slow! also this bus (not to brag) has Air throttle control. it is a very interesting enginering addition.n when I throttle up, the bus throttles up vewry slow and gently. That helps alot when accelerating becuase it is not jerky. It couldn't jerk ,unless you poped the clutch...which would just stall the engine. It from accelerating to stopping everything is very gentle. The silver eagle coach is just that also. No leaf springs. Coach has Eagle torsalistic suspention. Better ride than air... I had a tc2000 school bus..it rode like a dump truck. I feel for you guys. I hated my bus. It rode ruff and rugged in general. very awful machine to operate. small bumps were like hitting giant pot holes. So I can see why u would wonder
The others might buy that but I had an Eagle. Sure the torsalastic suspension is great on a rough road. But compared to our Blue Bird, it wasn't THAT much smoother of a ride. Also the suspension is very pricey to repair (along with most anything else on the coach). The Eagle was faster on the highway but the Blue Bird climbs hills better. Tie down all your furniture and lock the cabinet/refrigerator doors closed. You don't want to be taken out by a jar of mayo flying thru the air! Another word of wisdom. NEVER lift the wheels of the eagle off the ground when you are trying to level up! It will damage the torsalastic suspension. I do miss those bays though. And the HUGE AC/DC alternator that was on the bus (David forgot to put in in the back of the Blue Bird before heading out here... bummer)

Shame you aren't in Roswell anymore. We are heading there this week (moving). I still have my Eagle 05 bus manual from Eagle Bus and Car. I need to find someone who can use it. If I see LeRoy again I'll ask him if he wants it. Did you see his bus, Liberty, in the BCM centerfold (November 2011)?

I can tell you this,Now that I have the rear complete i have now screwed and secured the furniture. Don't need **** shifting around on me. Yes she dose fly 75 - 80mph...slow on hills thou.She's pulling alot of weight! Did not don't know what bcm centerfold is. i will try to google it now
Old 11-13-2011, 07:30 PM   #27
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Did not don't know what bcm centerfold is. i will try to google it now
Bus Conversions Magazine. The November issue is available for a limited time as a free download:
http://www.busconversions.com/november.pdf

But the "Centerfold" is sawed in half when viewing the coach as two separate single-page views!
Someone said "Making good decisions comes from experience, experience comes from bad decisions." I say there are three kinds of people: those who learn from their mistakes, those who learn from the mistakes of others, and those who never learn.
Redbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 12:57 AM   #28
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89

But...... INTERIOR PICS!!!!! I met LeRoy in T or C where we were vending at the Hot Springs Festival. He recognized the food cart.
https://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
https://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 09:09 PM   #29
Skoolie

I ordered my furnace the other day. I whent with the 79-1809 Suburban Furnace Nt 30sp For Ducted - 30,000 Btu - 1 626.92 626.92 from ppl motorhomes online.. should be here by mon. i have installed all the ducting in the floor.will take a few pics later on
Old 11-26-2011, 07:34 AM   #30
Skoolie

I noticed that almost NOBODY runs electrical wires inside plastic pipe. While they work fine by themselves, if you have to add or replace one it will be a major P.I.T.A. without the conduit. FWIW.
pipopak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 11:19 AM   #31
Skoolie

if you cant see it, you can't belive it. So here are the photo's. i am going to install 2 more ducts under the bus. 1 more in the front and 1 in the rear. The ducts i have installed you can see is 1 in the rear bedroom, 1 in the hall way middle of bus and 1 in the front.The furnace will go in the middle bay passenger side.I secured the opening bay door shut.that will stay shut and screwed shut. i will cut a small opening and install the furnace vent and cover thru the aluminum bay door. I am ruff installing things at the moment. i plan on in the furture, maybe a year or 2 after everything is installed pulling everything out of the bays tanks,furnace,etc and remodleling,carpeting the storage bays and re running all electrical connections. Will go with a conduit of some sort at that time. For now things are being put in position and ruffed in while the project moves forward.

Rear bedroom heating duct installed

</p.
Heating duct installed in middle of bus just outside bathroom
[IMG]http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j287/chadluc/IMG_0278.jpg[/IMG
</p>
Here is a duct in the kitchen

</p>
[b]here is what it looks like under the bus[b]
Old 11-26-2011, 11:37 AM   #32
wtd
Bus Nut

Year: 1982
Coachwork: Thomas TransitLiner

Might want to put a piece of armaflex or something over that pipe strap, that duct is just some sort of aluminized fabric or thin sheet isn't it? You've got all the components of a rudimentary jigsaw there - a fine toothed blade (the pipe strap), vibration to power it and the material to cut (the duct).
Probably not something to get an ulcer about, but as long as you're in there, just a thought.

Tom
Old 11-26-2011, 06:48 PM   #33
Skoolie

I added another duct towards the front of the bus,And built my furnace mount. where i will place my furnace. here's a few shots. If anyone knows how i can put in A/C under the bus and run it through these ducts pleaswe help.. here s a few mnore shots of the work.

Old 11-26-2011, 07:39 PM   #34
Skoolie

I had an idea for air conditioning. If I mount a 2 roof top A/C units to under the bus.In the bay in the middle where the furnace will be... Cut out the aluminum bay door to accommodate the air vents (the back of the A/C unit..the condenser. Mount the A/C units up like on rail road ties. the bottom of the roof top A/C, out put of the A/C units (where the cold air comes out. ) have some sort of transfer box. So the duct will run from the register (blows inside bus) and connect the hose first to a junction box, then to the A/C and furnace. So you could switch between the two units using the same register vents. Or I could buy a house A/C and do the same kinda thing... what do you think

keeping the A/C under the bus will keep the A/c running cooler and more efficent... I could add new duct work and new registers ..thats an option two
Old 11-26-2011, 11:53 PM   #35
Skoolie

Hey what do you think about this >> Ramsond 12,000 BTU 1+ Ton Ductless Mini Split Air Conditioner & Heat Pump - 120V/60Hz http://www.homedepot.com/Building-Ma...atalogId=10053

I could get 2 of these. install the 2 condensers under the bus and mount the 2 evaporative coolers inside. 1 rear 1 front. they provide heat as well. so in the event that power is included in site hookup ,I could run the heat pump instead of the propane furnace.. any idea's..or am i just being creative to be overly creative
Old 11-26-2011, 11:57 PM   #36
Skoolie

Those ducts are regular dryer ones, heath exchange (losses) will be horrendous...
pipopak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 07:40 AM   #37
Skoolie

Coachwork: - Still Shopping -
Chassis: - Going Medium/Large -
Engine: - DT466 Desired -

Quote:
Hey what do you think about this >> Ramsond 12,000 BTU 1+ Ton Ductless Mini Split Air Conditioner & Heat Pump - 120V/60Hz http://www.homedepot.com/Building-Ma...atalogId=10053

I could get 2 of these. install the 2 condensers under the bus and mount the 2 evaporative coolers inside. 1 rear 1 front. they provide heat as well. so in the event that power is included in site hookup ,I could run the heat pump instead of the propane furnace.. any idea's..or am i just being creative to be overly creative

.. says 120V in the heading and 220V in the details, and then 110V in the info .. a little conflicting information there .. I'd dig a little deeper into that before pulling the trigger .. would be interesting to see one in person and get a feel for the fitment ..
RevBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 10:06 AM   #38
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15

Don't know the specifics of that particular Mini-split, but I did have 5 similar units installed here at my studios in Houston. The compressors do pull 220v while the wall mounted blower unit is just 110 on mine. And the brand is critical. I was sold a bill of goods (cheap Chinese crap) by the AC company here and have had nothing but trouble with them and literally threw 2 of them into the dumpster and replaced them with conventional Rheem units. I have been told though that those by Mitsubishi are head & shoulders above the other brands.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 09:52 PM   #39
Skoolie

Coachwork: - Still Shopping -
Chassis: - Going Medium/Large -
Engine: - DT466 Desired -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango
Don't know the specifics of that particular Mini-split, but I did have 5 similar units installed here at my studios in Houston. The compressors do pull 220v while the wall mounted blower unit is just 110 on mine. And the brand is critical. I was sold a bill of goods (cheap Chinese crap) by the AC company here and have had nothing but trouble with them and literally threw 2 of them into the dumpster and replaced them with conventional Rheem units. I have been told though that those by Mitsubishi are head & shoulders above the other brands.
.. good intel .. thanks ..
RevBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 10:17 PM   #40
Bus Crazy

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American
Engine: 3208 na boat anchor
Rated Cap: 2

There are 120 volt mini-split heat pumps. About 12,000 btu's is max for 120 volts, on a 20 amp circuit.
bus-bro is offline   Reply With Quote