Old 11-22-2009, 09:42 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 1985
Coachwork: ThomasBuilt
Chassis: International Harvester S-1700
Engine: 9L IHC V-8 Diesel 180HP
Rated Cap: 60
Re: Mud4Brains' Skoolie Conversion

Good job! Don't think you're cheating. Building a bus is like sex: 99% of it goes on in your head! When you translate what is in your head - through your hands - into something with form and substance, you get art! (If everything goes right. Otherwise you get a chance to do it over...) Welcome, and have fun!
Eric von Kleist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 09:48 PM   #2
Skoolie

Year: 1983
Coachwork: International
Chassis: Carpenter
Engine: 8.3

I need you cad skills, Kidding looks awesome welcome.
Old 11-25-2009, 02:17 AM   #3
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03

Mock it all up with cardboard and whatever else you can find is all I can warn you of. I know my bus got awfully small before I had 75% of my stuff in there.
Old 11-28-2009, 11:50 AM   #4
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by emberglow
Then again, if you're planning on raising the roof it is a bit less straightforward than some other manufacturers due to the tilted walls.
I haven't started my project yet and I am still in the process of finding the right bus for the right price. I've been thinking of using a Thomas RE MVP but this last week I have been thinking more and more about a roof raise of about 12 inches. then I got to thinking about the tilted walls, and how one would do a roof raise with tilted walls? I am just wondering how much extra work is involved in raising a Thomas roof and is it worth it, or should I scrap the idea of a roof raise in a Thomas, or go with a RE bus other than a Thomas to do a roof raise.
Mud Sorry to hijack your thread but I felt the question was fitting if you decide to do a roof raise with a Thomas.
thesaltydog24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 11:14 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 1985
Coachwork: ThomasBuilt
Chassis: International Harvester S-1700
Engine: 9L IHC V-8 Diesel 180HP
Rated Cap: 60

The angled walls can be tricky to work with internally, as well. I just figured out how to measure the inset! I'm such an idiot. All you have to do is compare the internal width at the point the roof attaches and at the bottom window ledge and divide by 2. That's the total inset from top to bottom on each side. Divide that number by the number of inches from top to bottom (roof attachment height to bottom window ledge - edit) and multiply by 12 to get your inches/foot ratio.

That would have made my life a lot easier if I had figured it out 5 years ago. Here I've been using a compass to make templates of the profile the whole time. Geez!
Eric von Kleist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 02:12 AM   #6
Bus Nut

I'm with julie, rachet straps, or a come along and lots of c clamps. you could also make a long handle wrench like a conduit bender to tweek the roofbows and pillars with, again use lots of clamps to get squared up/equalized side to side before you start to weld
paul iossi is offline   Reply With Quote