Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-03-2019, 09:33 PM   #381
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E 7.3L
Just as I suspected the fuel system was gellled from the cold.....

Johnny Mullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 07:16 AM   #382
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
yowsers.. Gelled fuel is Hell on the HEUI injectors.. I guess I got lucky at minus 10 that I didnt gel up.. I had filled it up in ohio and didnt have any southern fuel mixed in.

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 08:00 AM   #383
Bus Geek

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
I was busy all week last week with fuel gelling. When it gets below about 0 I don't think it really matters between summer and winter blend fuel. You have to use an additive or mix in kerosene if you want any chance of it running. Luckily, we're back on the + side of the thermometer so those worries are in the past.
Booyah45828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 08:13 AM   #384
Bus Geek

Does diesel KLeen have anti gel? I run a 1/4 bottle every tank (about 8 oz per 30 gallons on average as I often fill up around 1/2 tank in winter.

I didn’t realize winter blends weren’t formulated for well below 0. It seemed when I was a kid finding K1 was easy. Lots of people had kerosene space heaters .. plus some stations even had K1 with road tax so we could pump a few gallons right into the scout.
Old 02-04-2019, 08:32 AM   #385
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
Does diesel KLeen have anti gel? I run a 1/4 bottle every tank (about 8 oz per 30 gallons on average as I often fill up around 1/2 tank in winter.

I didn’t realize winter blends weren’t formulated for well below 0. It seemed when I was a kid finding K1 was easy. Lots of people had kerosene space heaters .. plus some stations even had K1 with road tax so we could pump a few gallons right into the scout.
DK has an anti-gel they sell at tractor supply.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 11:55 AM   #386
Bus Crazy

Year: 1971
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: International Loadstar 1700
Engine: 345 international V-8
I think DK has two different products, one being an anti gel and the other being a lubricant and cleaner
Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 09:31 AM   #387
Bus Geek

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
If you're talking diesel kleen from power service, it does not have an anti gel.

Their anti gel stuff is their diesel fuel supplement line which has anti-gel written on the container.

https://powerservice.com/psp_product...-cetane-boost/

If you scroll down that link about in the middle of the page it shows what products power service offers and when to use them.

Anything below 32*F and you should be using the white bottle with the red cap. The red bottle is really only an emergency use product. It lacks the lubricity that's needed for injectors and pumps so it should be used sparingly or damage can occur.
Booyah45828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 09:50 AM   #388
Bus Geek

Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booyah45828 View Post
If you're talking diesel kleen from power service, it does not have an anti gel.

Their anti gel stuff is their diesel fuel supplement line which has anti-gel written on the container.

https://powerservice.com/psp_product...-cetane-boost/

If you scroll down that link about in the middle of the page it shows what products power service offers and when to use them.

Anything below 32*F and you should be using the white bottle with the red cap. The red bottle is really only an emergency use product. It lacks the lubricity that's needed for injectors and pumps so it should be used sparingly or damage can occur.
YEah they have that stuff next to the regular DK in my Tractor Supply.
Always in stock since we're in Fl.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 10:04 AM   #389
Bus Nut

Coachwork: New Flyer
Chassis: D45HF "Viking"
Engine: 11.1L Detroit Diesel S60
Rated Cap: 51,600
I don't care what time of year it is, I put a little of the Winter, Clear-Diesel, and Bio-Kleen in every time I put fuel in since my bus is sitting most of the time during my build out. I'm generally filling via a jerry can and manual fuel pump, so I eyeball the mix - several capfuls (4 or 5) of the Winter and Clear-Diesel + one capful of Bio-Kleen to a 5 gallon jerry can of diesel.
MarkyDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 11:41 AM   #390
Bus Geek

Great info booyah!
I need to get the correct stuff before I head back north, though my current Florida trip is looking like it may be extended till end of feb.

Yes DK is what I regularly run. I have. Not used diesel 911, though I have some . I was told only to use it if I started seeing the signs of gelling..

I’m always a bit more concerned when I drive north and it’s real cold as the bus will still have remnants of southern fuel in it..
Christopher
Old 02-12-2019, 06:22 AM   #391
Bus Crazy

My bus always had a small oil leak.On the cross country trip I use 4 quarts for 5400 miles which was not bad at all. When I drove the bus Saturday I noticed a HUGE puddle of oil under the bus and it was 3 quarts low. I got it home and found oil leaking from the EBPV where the actuator rod goes through. I already have the EBP disabled, but now it's time to fix it.

I been wanting to do this mod anyway and the bus decided for me that it's time. I will be installing an EBPV delete kit on the bus.............
https://www.dieseltruckpartsdirect.c...IaAqw7EALw_wcB

Updates soon!
Attached Thumbnails
DSC_1019-Copy-2.jpg  
Old 02-12-2019, 01:26 PM   #392
Bus Crazy

I suppose now would be the time to upgrade to a larger turbo from a 99 model, but ain't got the funds right now.
Old 02-18-2019, 06:33 AM   #393
Bus Nut

Year: 1997
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
yowsers.. Gelled fuel is Hell on the HEUI injectors.. I guess I got lucky at minus 10 that I didnt gel up.. I had filled it up in ohio and didnt have any southern fuel mixed in.

-Christopher
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booyah45828 View Post
I was busy all week last week with fuel gelling. When it gets below about 0 I don't think it really matters between summer and winter blend fuel. You have to use an additive or mix in kerosene if you want any chance of it running. Luckily, we're back on the + side of the thermometer so those worries are in the past.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie View Post
I think DK has two different products, one being an anti gel and the other being a lubricant and cleaner

I'm not sure whether you can readily get Stanadyne like you can DK. But the only missing from Stanadyne's Performance Formula All season, is the high concentration lube. It has a lube in it, but doesn't fall into the "high Concretate" category.
Winter blend diesel is very subjective, depending on your region and the bulk supplier. Also the rate in which places rotate their fuel, etc

here's a link from up in the frozen north, with 2 fairly common additives up here, as I've mentioned on another thread we use Stanadyne in the groomers. It's not cheap.....but nothing north of the border is.....
https://dieselpartscanada.ca/pages/d...mparison-chart

Handyman and Shenaniganizer
https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f11/97...ion-22324.html
Yukon Cornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 09:12 AM   #394
Bus Crazy

Right now I am waiting for my new EBPV delete kit to show up. Today is a holiday, so no mail.....

Old 02-18-2019, 09:26 AM   #395
Bus Geek

EBPV delete is cool indeed. one less thing to break or leak oil. I got lucky to have a texas bus that doesnt even have one..

what turbo does yours have? the 99.5 - 2002. has a 56mm wheel with a 1.00 AR compressor and turbine housing both.. 02.5 + went to yet another turbo..

bigger turbo might giver you less boost at low RPMs, although with an AT545 you are always running against the stall and get good turbo spool as a result.

im running non waste-gated and get 21 PSI boost at my max RPM.. im not sure what our head gaskets are good for.. the fords are good for 28 PSI, however they have a thicker head gasket to allow for the higher RPM so im guessing our cylnder pressure are a little higher.. 21 seems like a good number and my EGTs stay under control as long as i let it rev on long grades to 2500-2600 or so.. ill see just above to right at 1200.. which is doable esp for shorter times.. although some of the ford guys run 1250 all day i dont like to do it.. pulling the jellico mountain on I-75 at near 65 is damn enough power for me..

-Christopher

in your case if you start putting out much more power you'll wipe your tranny..
Old 02-18-2019, 10:09 AM   #396
Bus Crazy

My bus has the original 1996 turbo installed and I decided not to upgrade the turbo. I will do the EBPV delete and that will be pretty much it for any performance mods. I wanted to do the EBPV delete after straight piping the exhaust anyway especially since it's disabled.

Since the engine is pushing 200K miles I am also considering rebuilding or replacing the injectors sometime in the next year or so. Of course the bus runs awesome and the old saying "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." comes to mind.
Old 02-18-2019, 10:53 AM   #397
Bus Geek

I bought a new set of stage 1 injectors a year ago and have yet to install them, I’ve got a couple that were “lazy” but once I turned my fuel up my idle smoothed out except when it’s minus 10 and the engine hasn’t warmed up.. I’m at 182k or so.. once spring comes I’ll probanly install the new injectors but I do sometimes hate to tear apart an engine that is for all intents and purpose running darn near perfect. I have the parts to do my exhaust like yours and will do that for sure. Mine comes out as 3 inches goes to the muffler, comes out as 4 then has a turn down that is lucky to be 3..
Christopher
Old 02-25-2019, 11:41 AM   #398
Bus Crazy

I got lazy and even though the boss said I could take to bus to the shop to fix it, I slept in instead. We got super high winds and the temps are in the 20's. The roads are also covered in salt. I need to do the EBPV and do a complete oil change/grease job, but it can wait for a better day. I miss driving my bus and I miss working on it, but the older I get the more I hate winter.
Old 02-25-2019, 12:08 PM   #399
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
"...the older I get the more I hate winter."

I began feeling that way at about 18!
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 05:20 PM   #400
Bus Crazy

Year: 1971
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: International Loadstar 1700
Engine: 345 international V-8
I used to like the cold, but not so much anymore. Up in the frozen north maybe hate would be a good word for it.... After being in Florida for a week it seems really cold here.
Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote