Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-13-2013, 05:23 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 1982
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: International S1800
Engine: DT466 Trans: MT643
Rated Cap: 65
My 1987 IH/Carpenter "Simple Green"

Hey Y'all, thought I'd post my last conversion. It was a lot of fun, learned a lot, and got some good pics outta the whole deal
I started with a 87 International Carpenter conventional chassis, DT466, MT643, Air Brakes.
To that, I added a small solar system, converted it to be WVO compatible, tore out the floor and made it into a party/roadtrip machine. Eventually, I was going to live in her fulltime (I did for about 8 months last summer) but her engine went on me about 4 weeks ago. I'm already on to a new bus (she gets delivered tomorrow), but I thought it was something a few people here could enjoy

This is her and I on the first day in town:

Tore out all the crap inside, found a ton of rust under the subfloor so I spent about a week on my hands and knees grinding, cutting painting and patching:

Dropped in some closed-cell aluminum backed 1/4" insulation, 5/8" subfloor and some free prefinished hardwood and cork flooring:

Then, I scored some awesome beetle-kill pine paneling from a shop that was shut down, along with some sweet brazillian rosewood that I used to frame out the windows. I left the seat channel in place with a kickplate over it for running wires, hoses, etc. And I constructed some boxes for the booth cushions I scored from a recently shut down mexican restaurant and made an interior that was completely modular and could be removed--leaving an empy, wood paneled and wood-floored bus in less than 20 minutes. The black cushioned bunks have steel framed backrests that fold up and hang from the ceiling to create 4 bunks. The coach seats are out of an old coach I used to have.

Next, I cut some supports from below for my 150 gal aluminimum veg tank from an 01 Freightliner, attached a hot fox found on craigslist, and hung it--you can see it in the pic of me filling up at my "Station"

Then, I mounted my flat-pate heat exchanger, heated filter assembly, digital fuel temp guage, and fully manual 3-port valves on the doghouse. I did not want to mess with electronic solenoid valves--they are prone to trouble, and it involves an entire extra system to troubleshoot! This setup was clean, and worked perfectly on the first try!! Proud of that, yes indeed.

That's pretty much it!

She's been a great bus-just wanted to share that project before I start the next one. Tomorrow

Instragram: @lookatthatbus
charles_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 06:21 PM   #2
Mini-Skoolie

Re: My 1987 IH/Carpenter "Simple Green"

Thats awesome and you did a great job!!
Magilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 10:15 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 1992
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: All American RE
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72

Very nice! Dig the wood work.
You gonna keep us in the loop on your next us?
syke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 11:14 PM   #4
Bus Nut

You better believe it!
I'm picking it up this weekend
I'm a lucky guy who works for a bus company, so I get my pick of the litter. We've got a great 1986 Bluebird AA FE, with a Reman Cummins 5.9 that only has 24k on it with an allison 643 and retarder Surprisingly, that bus is faster than hell, too. She'll cruise at 70 all day and pull 40 up most hills! No too bad on diesel, either. Only paid 3,500 for it ;)

Im also pretty into this 93 Amtran Genesis FE Dt466 coming in with 182k on it. Its got a high roof, belly storage, auto chains, and a retarder. We pick that bus up on Sunday. I'll have my choice between the two. Its kind of tough. Fun decisions, though

Im a lucky busman.
Old 09-14-2013, 01:44 AM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Hey i see you're in Denver, im in Colorado Springs. Where are you getting the bus from?
Old 09-14-2013, 03:51 AM   #6
Bus Nut

Hey!
I'm getting my bus from a guy I found just outside of Santa Fe, NM. I'll be rolling through on Sunday most likely! You got a bus? I don't see one in your profile, maybe I'm missing it. Always love meeting fellow bussers
Old 09-14-2013, 08:15 AM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Unfortunately I dont have one yet. Key word is YET, but im still looking I look through ebay and searchtempest on a daily routine searching for just the right one for us, just haven't found it yet
Old 09-14-2013, 02:22 PM   #8
Bus Nut

I hear ya! Have you tried Rocky Mountain Bus Sales? Their prices can be high, but the older buses often go on "Sale" which makes them more realistic. I've seen a few great ones go through publicsurplus.com and they have a nice feature that will alert you via email when certain things (like school buses) go on sale in certain areas (Like CO!) What are you looking for? I know this guy in Santa Fe has a couple others that I thought were nice, all are AmTran Genesis with DT466's--not sure if that's up your alley or not
cheers
Old 09-14-2013, 05:57 PM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

Yeah i have looked online at Rocky Mountain Bus Sales, but yes they are quite highly priced. Too much so for me, but i haven't ever stopped in to talk seriously about one. Maybe i should I would love to get a DT 466, or a DT 360, or... Hell... I would just rather have an I6 instead of a V8. I am thinking that i would much rather have a dog house for ease of working on the engine (not that i expect any major problems... But i know me and i will want more HP/TQ). I appreciate the help though! Good luck on your trip tomorrow and post pictures of the new girl!
Old 09-15-2013, 07:48 PM   #10
Bus Geek

thanks for posting, I like your "forum" still ....laid back

oh Welcome and sit back and enjoy
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote