Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-12-2017, 12:58 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2001
Chassis: BlueBird
Engine: 3126
Rated Cap: 54
My bus conversion - today: before pics

It's been an overwhelming first couple days, now that the bus is here my brain is going 100 miles an hour in 50 different directions about what I want to do, so some serious measuring and planning will be a good start. Since I'm not too concerned about it having mechanical issues as it was most likely serviced 2500 miles ago and never used on a daily stop and go basis (just for sports teams), a basic tune up and inspection will do for now.

Short and sweet here's my 2002 GMC Blue Bird 11 window, CAT 3126 with 147k miles, Allison 2400 and GVWR 26000 lbs but axle ratings front 10k and rear 18960. Only thing that is not functional is the tachometer. Ebay gem for $3500.

nightfury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 02:22 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
Visually I can tell you your bus has some serious problems. It has way, way to many seats in it. It's a pretty good bet there's about 40,000,000 rivets that need to come out too. Other than that it looks pretty good. That motor looks clean enough to eat off of. Congrats.
Old 05-12-2017, 04:02 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2001
Chassis: BlueBird
Engine: 3126
Rated Cap: 54
Thanks. Yes the rivets will be so much fun, about as fun as the millions of staples I've pulled from all the furniture I've upholstered over the years, maybe even worse.
What do most of you do with the seats? I asked the local bus company if they need replacements, they told me to come back when the guy for that is there. I've also thought about craigslist...
nightfury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 04:14 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfury View Post
Thanks. Yes the rivets will be so much fun, about as fun as the millions of staples I've pulled from all the furniture I've upholstered over the years, maybe even worse.
What do most of you do with the seats? I asked the local bus company if they need replacements, they told me to come back when the guy for that is there. I've also thought about craigslist...
A good air compressor and an air chisel will make short work of em.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 04:17 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Sure, you can try to sell them. In actuality, the only secondary use I've seen for actual school bus seats is with the legs shortened they are the perfect width to fit between the wheel wells on older jeeps. It makes a pretty decent back seat, but there just aren't that many old jeeps.

Most of us are happy to give them away so we don't have to haul them to the dump or the scrap yard. Disassembly required.
Old 05-12-2017, 04:20 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin97396 View Post
Sure, you can try to sell them. In actuality, the only secondary use I've seen for actual school bus seats is with the legs shortened they are the perfect width to fit between the wheel wells on older jeeps. It makes a pretty decent back seat, but there just aren't that many old jeeps.

Most of us are happy to give them away so we don't have to haul them to the dump or the scrap yard. Disassembly required.
We got super lucky-
Way out in the country, the moment we were done extracting the last seat some guys came up the driveway with a small truck and trailer. They asked if we wanted that pile of seats. I said take em, as long as you take em ALL!
Natty light was had by all. Except me, I'm not into drinking piss.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 05:04 PM   #7
Bus Geek

Normally the seats are kind of lopsided. The three seats I had in this handi-bus are actually four legged seats. I can turn them sideways and don't have to use the chair rail.

On the other hand I've sent loads of seats away, like you did, a number of times and felt good about it. Somehow some people are able to sell them.