Old 04-22-2010, 08:23 PM   #11
Skoolie

Year: 1998
Chassis: TC 2000 bluebird
Engine: 5.9 cummins
Rated Cap: 66
Re: my new ambulance/ 66 passenger bus

I tried punching in the "body Number" that the guy in Ohio gave from looking up the vin. No luck on the wiring diagram. He said it was a "TC" bus, but when I look at photos on bluebirds site it kind of looks like an "All American" Anyone know which it probably is? I am trying to figure out what to call it if I go to get belts at Napa.

Is air brakes good? I remember now that I was also told it is really a 1997 model year. Even though the paperwork says 1998.

I now have a plane ticket. Any ideas what would be good to take along Just in case?

I wonder if it will be 12VDC or 24VDC in the bus?

Bill
miltruckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 09:18 PM   #12
Bus Crazy

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Goshen
Chassis: Ford
Engine: 7.3
Rated Cap: 25
Send a message via AIM to Stuff Send a message via MSN to Stuff

she is an interesting one!!

im partial to hydraulic brakes. I found air brakes are a bit too touchy lol.

I bet some guys would love those seats in there! looks like they fold down nice and flat. would be easy to use 2 + plywood to make a fold down bed in a kitchen area!

My Youtube channel - https://www.youtube.com/user/thestuffz
Stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 09:31 PM   #13
Skoolie

Well, I am sure I won't need all those seats. Probably some will be for sale. I think they fold down so they can put stretchers in the rear on top of the seats.

I called my State Farm insurance agent and they said the "underwriters" are really clamping down on "high risk" vehicles and they could not insure it. I then called GMAC and was told they could only provide "liability" insurance. I called "Good Sam club" who uses GMAC as their underwriter and they had no problem insuring it full coverage. It is sure hit and mis out there for insurance coverage.

Bill
Old 04-22-2010, 10:02 PM   #14
Skoolie

Year: 1999
Coachwork: AmTran RE
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 72

Air brakes are good, depending on who you ask. There's a sticky thread about brakes in this forum, with lots of info about the differences. You should become familiar with how air brakes work before driving. Commercial drivers need additional training and a written test before driving with air brakes. RVs are exempt from that, but you should still learn about them because the bus will handle differently. You can also study the air brake portion of the CDL manual from any state's DMV.

That bus is a TC/2000, not All American. The body lines are similar, but AAs always had quad headlights, while TCs had dual. That's also a TC dash - AAs had a wider gauge cluster with woodgrain trim during those years.

Body number isn't the same as VIN, it's a letter followed by 6 numbers.

The electrical system should be 12 volts (not including the extra ambulance stuff). I believe when Jarlaxle said 24V he meant 24-valve, 98 was a changeover year for Cummins engines.

Overall, great find. I wish the government sold buses like that around here...
Old 04-22-2010, 10:14 PM   #15
Bus Nut

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American
Engine: 3208 na boat anchor
Rated Cap: 2

Take a credit card and an extra pair of undershorts with you. Hopefully, you won't need the shorts.
bus-bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 10:27 PM   #16
Skoolie

Undershorts are on the list. I hear the only tools allowed on an airplane are those 7 inches or shorter. Maybe I'll stop somewhere and buy a basic tool set on the way back. I wish I had an operators manual to study up on.

Bill
Old 04-23-2010, 01:26 PM   #17
Skoolie

I stopped by the local school bus garage today and told them about my bus. They just shook their heads. Said that the cummins engines leak all over the place, and the "lift pumps" go out around 85,000 miles, That the injector pumps go out around 100,000 miles and cost $1700.00 They said that a front engine was almost impossible to work on and that you have to tear off the whole front of the bus to get at it.

Did I make a bad choice? Or is the 5.9 Cummins and flat front busses not as bad as they made out?

Bill
Old 04-23-2010, 03:02 PM   #18
Skoolie

Year: 1999
Coachwork: AmTran RE
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 72

Some love them, some hate them. I know mechanics who can only dream of working on a bus as nice as that one. Others are spoiled with the easy access of an all-conventional fleet and would never try to do anything on an FE. Most like the Cummins 5.9 and consider it second only to the International DT series, but your local district may have gotten a bad batch of 5.9s.
Old 04-23-2010, 03:24 PM   #19
Skoolie

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: 8.2L Detroit N/A, Allison
Rated Cap: 65

Depending on when you pick up the bus, you can probably just buy what you need shortly before or just after taking delivery.

I flew from Kansas to Ohio for my bus. My test drive was about 10 miles long to the nearest Wal-Mart to pick up fluids and whatnot...it was all full when I got there and not a spot of oil on the ground...I couldn't believe that there wasn't a puddle of something underneath. So I erred on the side of caution and picked up some fluids. But the Snail didn't need any oil or tranny fluid the whole "maiden voyage" to Kansas. I got lucky.

Good luck with your purchase. It looks outstanding! Buying stuff via internet is all kinds of exciting! Oh yeah...I love my air brakes!!! (Especially now with a new air compressor!!!)

Ben.
NewSkewlHauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 03:40 PM   #20
Skoolie

Yes, they have an all conventional DT466 fleet. I guess they are spoiled.