Old 06-17-2010, 10:43 PM   #31

Re: my new ambulance/ 66 passenger bus

I was looking at those buses also let me know what you think of it. We are on the hunt for some more. Our club plans on turning it into a motorcycle hauler and party bus for trips.
It looks greeat so far, gonna be fun to watch your progress.
Good luck
WildBill
WildBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 11:16 PM   #32
Skoolie

Year: 1998
Chassis: TC 2000 bluebird
Engine: 5.9 cummins
Rated Cap: 66
Re: my new ambulance/ 66 passenger bus

Update, i still have it. I'm slowly converting it to an RV to my wife's dismay. She has stated (on several ocasions) that we could be camping by now if we had just bought a camper.

It will be a full conversion. Done so far: bus gutted and floor insulated and 3/4 inch dry ply installed. 3/4" oak floor installed over that. Walls mostly insulated and panneled with 1/2" oak. 32"x32" shower pan installed. Shower Surround partially installed. Dome lights replaced with Led lights.all the interior walls are now studed in where i want them.
Im also building fold up bunk beds in the rear like pullman beds so the ramp will still be usable. I just got the spaces built over the wheel wells last weekend for the refrigerator and washer/dryer. They are sitting in place but not yet hooked up. I also installed a front hitch for a bike rack, strengthened the front bumper, installed a new water pump, alternator, and front main seal as i had the radiator out anyway. I have a new all metal radiator ready to go in. I'm rebuilding the entire AC system with rebuilt ac compressors and new hoses. I have ordered a coleman Mach 8 heat pump for the roof. And hope it will still fit through the garage door after it is installed. I have a 12 ft rack i dont use on the van any more i need to figure out how to mount it on the rear of the roof. I have pulled all the ambulance lights and sold them on eBay to help finance the project. Still need new tires and i have to mount the rear hitch i pulled off my bobbed deuce before I sold it. I'll be installing a 24v battery bank to power the inverter, multifuel cab and engine heater, water pump, and circulator pump for the marine water heater with heat exchanger im installing. The water heater is also 120vac. I picked up a 10k Onan quiet diesel as scrap and am replacing the field winding to get it going. It will mount just in front of the rear axle on the right side behind the fuel tank. Still working out the generator slide system. I am also still thinking about my stove options as i would like to avoid a propane tank if i can.

Bill
Michigan
miltruckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 11:47 PM   #33
Skoolie

A bit of an update. Still working on the bus. I have determined to take it out this summer camping even though it is far from being done. The kids are 12 and 14 and there are only so many years before they are grown up. My main problem is lack of time. (I average about 60 hours a week at work) Though limited resources are always an issue too. Nere is how the project has progressed so far. The seats are ripped out and the floor insulated with 1" of foam, then 3/4" plywood sturdifloor, then 3/4" oak. The rear is converted into a bunkroom with steel fold up bunks like pullman beds on a cruise ship. They are out for paint right now. (But its too cold to paint) the shower, closet, and bath are framed in. I also framed two spaces above the wheel wells for utilities. I installed a front hitch and straightened the front bumper. New radiator, front main seal, alternator, water pump , and idler pully. I have removed all the flashing ambulance lights and replaced them with steady on white led lights instead. I figured it would be handy to light up a camp site. I installed the full roof rack from my 1 ton chevy van and a Mach 8 rooftop ac. I also put 1KW of solar on the roof. Still not wired up inside. Just put all new all position Firestone FS820 tires all the way around too. I hope to get a 20' Carefree awning i picked up on Craigslist installed this weekend. My only problem is I dont have any help so havent figured out how to do that yet. Though my Kids can help some. Ill try to post a few photos. Bill
Old 03-13-2015, 07:19 PM   #34
Site Team

go and enjoy the family and your steel tent...some smors's and it's all good!
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 08:54 PM   #35
Bus Nut

Bill, did you ever find out what the trans squawk/squeal was all about?
dond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 09:56 PM   #36
Skoolie

I changed the transmission fluid and put in the recommended synthetic $200, 5 gal bucket and the squeal stopped. Since i still dont trust it any more I picked up a used 545 transmission from craigslist and sent it to Weller transmission company. They rebuilt it and converted it to the model in my bus. I haven't swapped it yet, but will if it has any more problems.
Old 05-26-2017, 06:08 PM   #37
Skoolie

Ok guys, we are taking the bus out for the first time this weekend. It has been a long arduous conversion. I was slowed down a year or so my a major heart attack. Which contributed to the aAlmost 7 years to get it done enough for the road. This is really the test run. As there are a few things to complete before it is ready to dry camp. But with a garden hose we have hot and cold running water. And the electric and plumbing inside is about finished. The bunks are in, the shower, toilet, dinette and sofa too. The kids are excited. (And 7 years older than when I started.) maybe i'll have time to get some photos up later.

Bill
Old 05-26-2017, 08:23 PM   #38
Bus Nut

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American
Engine: Cummins 8.3/Allison MD3060
Rated Cap: 84
That has to feel good! Congrats!

Hope everything goes well.
Rameses is offline   Reply With Quote